Avacodos!

Options
2»

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Avocados - make sure they're ripe. In between rock hard and mushy to the touch. A slight yield when you squeeze.

They take on other flavors well - salt is a good idea to enhance their flavor a bit, and they're also great with spicy flavors and lime. Hot pepper flakes, hot peppers, hot sauce, sriracha. Also pair very well with eggs. You might want to incorporate them first as a garnish to other foods: a few cubes on your chili, a few slices with scrambled eggs, on top of nachos, as a spread for sandwiches instead of mayo. . . .
  • nemesis46
    nemesis46 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Take half of an avocado and spread it on toast with an egg on top. The other half use as a spread as well on toast,top it with some radishes,salt,pepper.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Mash it on toast instead of Mayo for sandwiches

Add some chopped onion, a dash of salt, a little lemon juice, and if you're feeling bold a spoonful of hot salsa for a simple guacamole

Or just put a little salt or fresh lemon juice on before eating
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    guacamole dip...I also use it as a spread in lieu of mayo for some things...spread on toast and topped with a fried egg...I use it in lieu of mayo in things like egg salad, tuna salad, etc...sliced on salads or sandwiches...sometimes I just eat it with a spoon with some kosher salt...

ETA: if you don't like avocado though, don't eat avocado...they are a good source of healthy fats and other vitamins and minerals, but you can get all of those things with other foods too. I can't imagine not liking avocado, but at the same time, it's pretty much a staple food where I live so I've been eating them most of my life.
  • jennbpbc
    jennbpbc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is bland on it's own (however I still like it with just a spoon) so I add salt, pepper and garlic powder to it and add it to omelets or turkey wraps. I also like to roll it up in deli sliced turkey and eat it for lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jennbpbc wrote: »
    It is bland on it's own (however I still like it with just a spoon) so I add salt, pepper and garlic powder to it and add it to omelets or turkey wraps. I also like to roll it up in deli sliced turkey and eat it for lunch.

Ah I forgot...I do like them in omelettes as well...
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I spread half an avocado on my toast. Then, I top it with a little salt and pepper, a cheesy scrambled egg, and pico de gallo. Other than guacamole or cubed in a chef salad, this is the only way I will eat it regularly.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it. Don't eat it. There are other ways to get healthy fats in. I only like them with the avocados are perfectly ripe. A little old or brown and they make me sick. So, I just don't buy them until they're in guacomole at a restaurant. At least then, I know they'll be good. I typically just add a tbs of olive oil to some of my meals. Tastes better IMO.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with the texture. Like I can't stand slices of avocado on top of a salad, but mix it with a tasty vinaigrette and we're in business!

COWBOY CAVIAR

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together and pour over the following ingredients and stir to combine:

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I either use it in turkey roll ups:

thick slice of deli turkey
    glaze of mayo
    S&P
    couple of thin tomato slices
    couple of thin avocado slices
    couple of strips of roasted pepper

roll and toothpick or tie, until eaten

OR, I make guacamole:

6 avocados diced
    2 heirloom tomatoes diced (I especially like Purple Cherokees)
    half a red onion, diced fine
    1 jalapeno, seeded and diced fine
    2 tsp good chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    S&P to taste
    pinch of cayenne, optional (no sense in making it hot just to be hot...go for depth of flavor)
    juice from half a lime, maybe a couple of scrapes of lime zest.

Combine all, remove clothing and eat!

I happen to LOVE avocado, so I eat it with many other foods as a vegetable and healthy fat, alongside eggs, in salads, as a side element on a buffet lunch platter, etc. There are also many great dressing recipes that use avocado.

Experiment! Many reasons to love avocado...

Also, you can derive many of the same benefits from avocado oil.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, I wouldn't work too hard at it....you can get the healthy fats other ways and they are pretty calorie dense.

That being said...they are awesome all of the ways above but I went back to an old recipe that my Gram used to make a long time ago...

dice one avocado
    section 2 Ruby Red grapefruits (I try to pour off the juice for something else)

mix and enjoy...you could have it on spinach or some other lettuce but it is an awesome salad just like that! A wierd combination that tastes soooooooo good together!
  • lyssasm
    lyssasm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I substitute some seasoned (salt & pepper) smashed avocado for ham in my egg's Benedict. It's VERY good and you can hardly taste it with the hollandaise sauce. I also put some in sandwiches, I usually add bacon in my sandwich with the avocado, so you won't taste it much.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    don't force yourself to eat avocado if you don't like them?

Otherwise, the first obvious thing would be guacamole.
  • JamieAcosta
    JamieAcosta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Avocado toast!! I cant stand Avocado by itself but on toast is awesome. Also, I add avocado in my salads with chicken and crutons but only lime juice instead of dressing. Awesome salad!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This isn't the best idea, but I got a recipe in my email this morning for bacon wrapped avocado.
    They are sliced into wedges, and wrapped in a piece of bacon then sprinkled with ancho chile powder, cumin & salt (I think I would omit the salt, as bacon is pretty salty, and use black pepper instead, but you could probably use any spice you like). Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and cook 15-20 min in a 450 degree oven. Place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. I may just make these for the Super Bowl party. Not a low calorie dish though, but everything is better with bacon.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10504309/my-version-of-korean-street-toast-easy-to-make

This has avocado. I really liked it! Making it again today but with less avocado, some lean ham, and a tablespoon of sugar.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either - I thought I was the only one. I'll eat guacamole, but that's about it.

I do "force" myself to eat a few foods simply because they are good for me, but with avocado being as calorie dense as it is I'm kind of glad I don't like it
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    definitely guacamole! Mash your avocado, add fresh lime juice, crushed fresh garlic, diced onion, a dash of hot sauce and cut up tomato or fresh salsa. Also eat it straight with salsa......I always eat my avocado with some form of acid, lemon, lime, balsamic vinegar or salsa.
  • Aless328
    Aless328 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love it! make a salad with shrimp, and a low cal,French dressing,or a dressing that you like. A sprinkle of salt and pepper makes it taste all the much better.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Mashed and spread on a toasted tomato sandwich - yummy!