Losing weight is so incredibly frustrating

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a wine diet? I don't mind not eating as much, but not having my most reliable friend is torture.....

Fit wine into your calorie goal. I do it 3x a week. A 5oz pour of white wine is about 120 calories.
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5r4dnnwx8hjw.jpg

Repetition Deepens The Impression. This pic appears on these kinda posts without fail.

OP, your issue is lack of patience. If you understood how the body works, it has no alternative but to decrease in size if expending more energy than it's receiving.

Stick to eating at deficit and give it at least 3-4 weeks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a wine diet? I don't mind not eating as much, but not having my most reliable friend is torture.....

I drank wine almost daily when I was losing weight. As long as you're measuring it properly and logging it to ensure you hit your calorie goals, you should be fine. If your deficit is really large, you may have to consider whether it is keeping you from hitting your nutritional goals, but a deficit works just fine for weight loss when alcohol is included.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol at least weekly and figured out the calories for it - I was reading a journal article (or something) and how while alcohol is higher in carbs, your body processes it more like fat - so log it that way in my diary
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The weekends will probably hold you back. I could quite easily blow a day's calories in a meal without thinking about it, make that a whole two days of "laxer" and you could undo a whole week's worth of restriction. I also find that now I eat less processed/packaged/fried food, that when I do treat myself to some fries or potato chips or pizza or something, I'm off for days in the sense that weight loss seems to stall and I hold on to water all probably because of the salt and it takes days and days to feel normal again. Do that every weekend and I'd never stay in the weight loss groove.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Alcohol disrupts the metabolism of dietary fat and has lots of empty calories - so it's not very weight loss friendly. For me it causes a lot of bloat too so I just go ahead and skip the wine altogether while in weight loss mode... but it is possible to lose weight while still enjoying it (in moderation) as long as you are in a caloric deficit.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I drink beer and/or whisky every night and have lost 0.75lb per week on average since last June. I am apparently metabolizing my dietary fat just fine.
  • audreyanderson4
    audreyanderson4 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling I get stuck in a rut and can't lose any more weight so incridbly frusting when u see ur friends losing weight and u can't
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I drink beer and/or whisky every night and have lost 0.75lb per week on average since last June. I am apparently metabolizing my dietary fat just fine.

Yeah it's more of an issue if one consumes excess calories- then it's more likely for those to be stored as body fat rather than burned for energy since the body prioritizes burning off the alcohol before using anything else.

I did say it's still possible to lose weight while consuming alcohol, just less than ideal for weight loss efforts.

I'm sure different people metabolize alcohol better or worse too- like how different people handle caffeine differently... I personally have a low tolerance for both caffeine and alcohol- super fun right?! And alcohol makes me pack on the pounds quicker than anything else, and seems to stall my weight loss when I have it (though that could just be bloat/inflammation... I always gain 2 or 3 pounds the next day after having drinks, even if I stay within my calorie goal, and it takes up to a week for that to come off). Did you know that alcohol is neither a carb, fat, nor protein? The carrier liquid usually has a lot of carbs but the actual alcohol part is it's own separate molecule, not one of the 3 food macronutrients. Carbs and proteins have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9, and alcohol has 7. Apparently the body can digest it, but sees it as a toxin that must be gotten out of the system asap, so it prioritizes metabolizing the alcohol first to get rid of it.

At least that's what I've heard from multiple sources- one of which is a chemist and food scientist.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i could eat a couple of sandwiches for lunch and be over maintenance.

weigh your food.