What do you do on hungry days?

Options
bgh707
bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
Maybe you did a killer strength training workout. Maybe you've been sitting at a desk for too long and are getting antsy. Maybe it's the stress. What do you do to stay under your calories on days when you just can't seem to get full?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends if it happens multiple days in a row, I review my calorie goals and adjust them up; look to more caloric dense foods; add some good fats (a TBSP of peanut butter can do wonders at times)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I try to eat when I am hungry. But, I also try to determine where the hunger is coming from. Am I truly hungry or just bored, moody, etc. If I can honestly tell myself I am truly hungry, I give myself an extra 200-300 calories for the day and try to find a high protein/high fat snack.

If I realize that the "hunger" is just boredom or something else, I busy myself with something. Just last night, I got myself off the couch and did some overdue ironing because my hunger was clearly just becoming boredom eating.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes help me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a set number of calories per day so I can eat more on hungry days and less on days I'm not so hungry.
  • katiekoo001
    katiekoo001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're genuinely hungry, eat! If you've done weight training you're probably needing more protein in your diet.
    If you're genuinely hungry and eaten your calorie allowance then maybe review what you're eating and try foods that release energy slower.
    If you're eating because you're bored, such as because you're stuck at your desk, do something to distract yourself and if you can't leave the desk get yourself something like a cup of tea
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    This is where the weekly average works out better for me than a daily goal. I'm less hungry on some days, more so on others. I eat less on some days, more so on others. As the one said above.. if I'm hungry? I eat. But, I also keep a bit of extra calories available so I can do that.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I like high volume low calorie foods for those days...popcorn, veggies with a bit of dip, especially if it's antsy eating. I can munch on some bell peppers just mindlessly and not worry too much about consuming too many calories.

If you do happen to go over because you're hungry, it's fine. It's consistency that counts so on the other days, adjust your calories and maybe have a look at what you're eating to see where you can make improvements on satiety.
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A spoon of peanut butter or 1/2 of a Complete Cookie!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bgh707 wrote: »
    Maybe you did a killer strength training workout. Maybe you've been sitting at a desk for too long and are getting antsy. Maybe it's the stress. What do you do to stay under your calories on days when you just can't seem to get full?

1. If it's a training thing, I make sure I'm actually fueling that activity
    2. As far as sitting at my desk goes, I get up every hour and walk around the office common areas for about 2 minutes.
    3. Regular exercise is also my answer to stress.
    4. There's a difference between full and satiated...I no longer even like the feeling of "full" as it is quite uncomfortable.

I don't log so I don't eat exactly the same calories day in and day out...but I'm pretty good at listening to what my body is telling me.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Drink water and evaluate if it is true hunger. If I am actually hungry, decide what I am going to have. Distract myself if it is just munching hungry.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat high volume vegetables. I hate two bags of lettuce today, almost two cucumbers, two tomatos, like 200g of mushrooms...some protein bars, deli turkey. And diet soda and gum and a crap ton of caffeine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,994 Member
    Options
    1) Exercise more so that I can eat more.

2) Eat lots of veggies.

3) Drink down a tall glass of cold water.
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I drink more water before anything. If that doesn't help I plan out my remaining calories with things I know will fill me. If I'm still hungry, like tonight I eat. I'm above my calories today but eating a set meal stops me from picking at foods that don't fill me. Try eating more protein when planning.
  • misarisa0216
    misarisa0216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat more high protein foods and drink more water. Especially before bed I have a protein high snack like cottage cheese or egg whites
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, if I know I've eaten enough. Sometimes a mini babybel takes the edge off if I've been low on fat.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    COFFEE
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do one of two opposites: I either take a maintenance day or a fast day (a fast day for me means eating 800-1200 calories regardless of exercise). I have hormonal hunger days where no matter how much I eat I stay hungry, so if I'm hungry anyway might as well make it a fast day. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. If it's just a typical hungry day I try to stick to my calories eating the foods that I know are most filling to me, but if I still can't stay within calories I don't sweat it if I go up to maintenance or even slightly over and it isn't frequent.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    A spoon of concrete.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water, diet soda, zero calorie snacks, caffeine and exercise.