How do people burn 1k cals?

Options
13»

Replies

• ravgirly
    ravgirly Posts: 32
    Options
    And a note about HIITs, you never do HIITs more than two days in a row as you must allow time for your body to heal. So, it's not every day that we get a huge calorie burn, but with both types of intense cardio workouts, you rarely will get a really low calorie burn unless you just didn't exert yourself. And, as one poster mentioned, the more your endurance and stamina increases, the lower your resting heart rate will be. It does become more difficult to reach those higher levels, which is why the schedules for Insanity and Turbo Fire progressively get harder and eventually develop into advanced workouts.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The highest calorie burn i've gotten in a 60 minute period was a bit over 600, and that was doing Zumba. It was so intense that according to my HRM, only 10% was fat. I'd rather do the lower intensity workouts and burn a higher fat percentage, myself.

As for your question about energizing yourself - i do 2 hour strength training sessions (with a trainer, so no slacking) 3x a week. I dump some powdered aminos in my water and sip it during the workout, and i also take a B12 shot beforehand. This seems to help. I will sometimes also use an energy supplement (honey stingers, generally) at the halfway point if i'm flagging, and count it as my snack.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    On days when I burn over 1000 calories, it is usually from a couple-hour bike ride at more than 16 mph, or some combination of activities, such as today, I will be doing a 45- minute spin class where I will burn about 500-something calories, then tonight I have a 2 1/2 hour dance class and rehearsal where I will burn around 600.

Sometimes I have burned over 800 in an hour spin class, but I don't think I have every burned 1000 calories in just 60 minutes; I'm not sure what people are doing to burn that; perhaps it's not accurate.

blessings.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's intensity and size. The smaller i am the less I burn pushing my max intensity. It used to take me 75 minutes to burn 1000, but now it takes me 2 hours. Unfortunately the more efficient you are the less you burn.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I just recently got to 980 calories! that was my max and it was because i went to a weight lifting class, and then right after that i went to kick boxing class..
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I regularly burn 1k+ calories when I go to the gym. I'm there a minimum of 60 minutes, usually 90 (the time limit max on the childcare room).

I'll do 30 min on the elliptical (highest resistance with my heartrate at 80% the whole time), 15 minutes on rowing, 20 hill course on bike, then cycle through several weight machines. I'll mix in walking on treadmill with high incline, arc trainer, ...whatever tickles my fancy that day while working up a good sweat. For my 90 minute workouts I burn 1200ish calories. I wear a BodyMedia Fit armband and also wear a Polar HRM. I'm not overestimating. :wink:
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd have to run for 1 hour and 45 mnutes or so to do that.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone say it's "bad" to do more than 30 minutes of cardio at a time. Maybe you are thinking of the recommendation of 30 minutes 5 times a week. That recommendation is to maintain weight, however, not to lose. More cardio per day is needed to lose weight.

It is, however, recommended that you don't do more than 2 hours of cardio in one session, as that can trigger the release of cortisol, which causes the body to retain colories instead of burn them.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I use the action motion trainer sometime at the gym, and it says I burn 800-900 calories in 65 minutes. One time, when I worked super hard, it said 1000 calories in 65 minutes. I never feel like I'm working super hard on it though. I write the number down but I don't know how much I believe it...I've switched to walking on the treadmill and biking and I feel like I'm getting a better workout.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only burn that much when I do about 2 hours of mountain biking, and yes, I use "GU" during rides.

But you should be able to work your way up to 60min. When I first started doing Turbo Fire I quit early a couple of times one the longer workouts. Now I can do the without problems.
  • sarahrunnergirl
    Options
    I'm a distance runner, and at my weight if I go for a 15 mile (approx 2h) run it burns around 1000calories. My workouts will usually total 1-2h of running, and on some days it will include speed work. Then I'll often do strength training, walk around downtown for errands, and do activities throughout the week such as yoga, biking and hiking for fun.

Most people, however, overestimate how much they burn. MFP usually overestimates the calories burned for my runs by around 100 cal. A lot of people also go by the calorie readings on gym machines, which can be as much as three and a half times more that the actual burn if you forget to enter your weight (I have an elliptical that tells me I burn 1400 calories/ hour when by measuring heart rate it was only 400).

It's definitly possible to be burning 1000 cals a day, but I suspect most people just overestimate.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    With Jillian Michaels, I burn 125 cals doing 30 mins of level 1, and 200 cals doing 30 mins of level 2. I always do the harder versions of the exercises, and usually double up the third circuit.