Ice cravings?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    For those saying ya PICA relates-isn't it still technically a food item?

pica is the craving for something with no nutrient value to it. ice has no nutrients.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/expert-answers/chewing-ice/faq-20057982

So wouldn't craving ice water technically be PICA?

maybe unless it would be considered a sign of being dehydrated. dont know where that fine line would be lol
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'll confess ice is not good for your teeth.
    I've heard the same as you've had checked out. Good luck.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like pregnancy-induced pica; it's not terribly uncommon. I craved ice during one of my pregnancies as well. If you live near a Sonic Drive-In (probably not but worth a shot - they are a dime a dozen around here), they have amazing ice for chewing (won't break your teeth) and sell it by the bag. Mine went away - funny, I've barely even thought about it since then!

Sonic ice for the win!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to check your iron. If the test comes back fine then there should be nothing to worry about
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    demorelli wrote: »
    Ask your doctor to check your iron. If the test comes back fine then there should be nothing to worry about

she said her iron levels were fine
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    @elphie754 You know, I heard that craving ice is a sign of anemia - you should probably get that checked out!

jk, I read the thread :lol:

I have always loved ice. I had bouts of anemia when I was a teenager, but I don't have that problem anymore and I still love ice. Our ice maker at work has the good ice (like Sonic mentioned above) that won't hurt your teeth. If you can find a restaurant that has the softer, smaller ice pellets, you could go there and see if they sell ice.

I like the idea of slushies, too - maybe blend yourself some virgin margaritas!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    For those saying ya PICA relates-isn't it still technically a food item?

pica is the craving for something with no nutrient value to it. ice has no nutrients.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/expert-answers/chewing-ice/faq-20057982

So wouldn't craving ice water technically be PICA?

maybe unless it would be considered a sign of being dehydrated. dont know where that fine line would be lol

Lol. Kind of weird logic.
    I'll confess ice is not good for your teeth.
    I've heard the same as you've had checked out. Good luck.

Yeah-that's my biggest fear, so have been trying to have small, easily chewed ice.
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like pregnancy-induced pica; it's not terribly uncommon. I craved ice during one of my pregnancies as well. If you live near a Sonic Drive-In (probably not but worth a shot - they are a dime a dozen around here), they have amazing ice for chewing (won't break your teeth) and sell it by the bag. Mine went away - funny, I've barely even thought about it since then!

Sonic ice for the win!

Like bagged ice or icee drinks?
    demorelli wrote: »

Not trying to be rude but *face palm*, already answered this.

• elphie754
    Options
    @elphie754 You know, I heard that craving ice is a sign of anemia - you should probably get that checked out!

jk, I read the thread :lol:

I have always loved ice. I had bouts of anemia when I was a teenager, but I don't have that problem anymore and I still love ice. Our ice maker at work has the good ice (like Sonic mentioned above) that won't hurt your teeth. If you can find a restaurant that has the softer, smaller ice pellets, you could go there and see if they sell ice.

I like the idea of slushies, too - maybe blend yourself some virgin margaritas!

Oh you....
    pklqrbzlkswm.jpg

We have small ice cube trays but it's still pretty hard. Going to ask SO to maybe get a bag on the way home (which im sure he will thinknia even weirder lol).

Best thing ever-Starbucks sells their flavored syrups online now so I've been making decaf peppermint white chocolate mocha frappachinos. I am definitely addicted to them lol.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I would ask the doc if he/she sees anything wrong with it. But, if it were me, I would keep crunching on the ice. As far as cravings go, I think you have been blessed with this one. Extra hydration for you and baby and zero calories. win-win.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I would ask the doc if he/she sees anything wrong with it. But, if it were me, I would keep crunching on the ice. As far as cravings go, I think you have been blessed with this one. Extra hydration for you and baby and zero calories. win-win.

I agree!! I have a ton of food adversions but luckily just this one weird craving.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Took the advice and went to our local deli. Sure enough they have the "softer" (I think it has more air in it) small ice cubes. Bought two bags and they are definitely easier to chew.
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm so lost... I'll see my way outta here. Good luck with the ice thing though.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    @Master_Butcher well you could always get, pregnant figure it; for yourself .......... once science, makes that; a possibility lol!
  • elphie754
    Options
    I'm so lost... I'll see my way outta here. Good luck with the ice thing though.

Lost?

• elphie754
    Options
    @Master_Butcher well you could always get, pregnant figure it; for yourself .......... once science, makes that; a possibility lol!

Okay now I'm confused.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited January 2017
    Options

Okay now I'm confused.

He most likely, doesn't understand because he's a guy & thus is unable to, experience woman/pregnancy issues; as you're! However he reminded me of the movie "Junior", in which Arnold Schwarzenegger; becomes pregnant instead lol!
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Okay now I'm confused.

He most likely, doesn't understand because he's a guy & thus is unable to, experience woman/pregnancy issues; as you're! However he reminded me of the movie "Junior", in which Arnold Schwarzenegger; becomes pregnant instead lol!

Looking back, that film was probably the most *kitten* up film I've witnessed. A muscle man Mum? What ever will they think of next.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited January 2017
    Options

Okay now I'm confused.

Looking back, that film was probably the most *kitten* up film I've witnessed. A muscle man Mum? What ever will they think of next.

You've to, ask? lol!
  • elphie754
    Options

Okay now I'm confused.

Ohhh okay lol. Blonde moment there.

• DeficitDuchess
    Options

Okay now I'm confused.

Ohhh okay lol. Blonde moment there.

I use to be, a natural blond; so I understand!