To lose weight is it really just a matter of calories in vs calories out?

Options
If it really a matter of taking in less calories in order to lose weight then why is it that most people who count carbs and not calories lose at such a quicker rate than those who count calories?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I guess I would need a source for the "most people" claim before I could address that.

But if it is true it's either water weight loss (which happens on a low carb diet) or the fact that their deficit is higher than those counting calories.
  • amystev41
    amystev41 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the positive responses...when I say "most people" I guess I should clarify and say most that I run into...more people than not...is that better janejellyroll?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    amystev41 wrote: »
    Thank you for the positive responses...when I say "most people" I guess I should clarify and say most that I run into...more people than not...is that better janejellyroll?

Honestly, I don't personally know anyone in my real world circles who've ever calorie counted...I'd say for the vast majority, it's very tedious and requires a particular personality IMO...it also requires a fairly high degree of accuracy and many people simply fail to be all that accurate in logging and counting calories.

I'd say the vast majority of people find it easier to just follow a structured plan or low carb or whatever...but they all work on the premise of energy deficiency.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Honestly, I don't personally know anyone in my real world circles who've ever calorie counted...I'd say for the vast majority, it's very tedious and requires a particular personality IMO...it also requires a fairly high degree of accuracy and many people simply fail to be all that accurate in logging and counting calories.

I'd say the vast majority of people find it easier to just follow a structured plan or low carb or whatever...but they all work on the premise of energy deficiency.

The converse issue is that long term, many people find low carbohydrate diets just as tedious. So you have the issue of maintaining the weight loss if you're just going to add the carbohydrates back without developing strategies to balance energy intake with activity.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, google Minnesota Starvation Study.
  • jo3_11
    jo3_11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7kgs in 7 weeks on just taking in 1300 calories daily. This has been through controlling calories and not strictly monitoring the nutrients.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calories control rate of weight loss. Macros control the composition of the weight loss and proportion of fat/muscle.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes, it's calories in vs calories out

People who count carbs only and lose quicker is mostly because they lose more water weight from depleting their glycogen stores...but they still need a calorie deficit, and they're creating it without counting calories.

While I agree with the above that it is all about CICO...remember it is not linear.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess:
    1) most people don't count calories correctly, making weight loss slower for many people who are calorie counters.
    2) most people who lose quickly on low-carb probably gained their weight due to a high-carb lifestyle (ie, most of their calories were those carbs)

Just guesses, though. CICO is it, and it is as simple as yin/yang, ebb/flow, push/pull.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Are the "people you run into" very educated about weight loss though? I know people who swear by (ugh) meal replacement shakes. Then they proceed to lose the same weight over & over every year. "But it really works!" :s

I hear these kinds of comments "I can't have pizza because I'm low carbing"........pizza is way more than just carbs. Low carb can be a very low calorie diet for some people.....so much food is potentially eliminated.

The MAIN thing (for me) is how am I going to maintain? It's not going to be low carb. It's not going to be eliminating anything (I like). I need to MANAGE my serving sizes. Everything in moderation teaches me so much about MY eating habits.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty optimistic about these responses! OP, can we consider weight loss as only the pathway to healthy weight maintenance, forever and ever? If so, then rate of weight loss is so indescribably unimportant in relation to if weight loss was achieved in a level headed non-crash diety manner. If it takes you 1 year to lose 20 pounds, but you can keep that 20 pounds off forever because within that year you've built healthy non impulsive habits, I would prefer that to helping you lose 20 pounds in a month with nothing learned. Embrace the new normal!