Very high triglycerides please help

Options
hrj888
hrj888 Posts: 30 Member
I'm about 40 lbs overweight. I'm only almost 26 years old. My triglycerides are almost 300! What are ways to Lower my triglycerides? Also what foods should I avoid?

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    +1 to @cwolfman13 . Per the American Heart Association, excessive amounts of sugars, refined grains and alcohol raise triglycerides and decrease HDL. Exercise lowers triglycerides and raises HDL. So lay off the sodas, fruit juices, smoothies, candy, cookies, cake, white bread, pasta, etc. That plus regular exercise will go a long way toward normalizing your triglycerides. My triglycerides are routinely in the mid-60s, with HDL in the 80s.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    +1 to @cwolfman13 . Per the American Heart Association, excessive amounts of sugars, refined grains and alcohol raise triglycerides and decrease HDL. Exercise lowers triglycerides and raises HDL. So lay off the sodas, fruit juices, smoothies, candy, cookies, cake, white bread, pasta, etc. That plus regular exercise will go a long way toward normalizing your triglycerides. My triglycerides are routinely in the mid-60s, with HDL in the 80s.

Especially beer...I'm assuming that it's due to the amount of unfermented sugars in beer...which sucks because I really like beer.
  • hrj888
    hrj888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think mine are high because I love my sweets and sweet tea. Homemade cookies are my weakness. I love to bake. Now to just find some good tasting sugar free cookies.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Pantethine and niacin show effects of lowering triglycerides. Niacin causes a flush though that some people can't stand. Chromium also may help raise HDL.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    hrj888 wrote: »
    I think mine are high because I love my sweets and sweet tea. Homemade cookies are my weakness. I love to bake. Now to just find some good tasting sugar free cookies.

That can be difficult. I'd suggest you switch focus to good, real, whole foods that you like. There is so much to choose from! Fruit, sandwiches, meat dishes, soups, casseroles, salads, nuts, smoothies, wraps, just flip through a cookbook for ideas :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As said earlier, sugars tend to lead to high triglycerides. For some, cutting down on added sugars is enough to normalize triglycerides. For other, cutting down carb in general (especially starchy or sugary carbs) can make a large difference. Most will increase fats when carbs are reduced.

Weight loss helps too.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Once I went grain and sugar free, my very high triglycerides dropped quickly to a normal level. Its sugars, not just added sugars, but watching the carbs (grains and starchy veggies) help too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Fiber is also good for lowering triglycerides. If you want a cookie, add something like peanut butter, nuts, oats, ground flax seed to up the fiber content.

Exercise, losing weight, lowering sugar intake and a high fiber diet can all help lower your triglycerides.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Stay away from added sugars. I don't eat sugar or grain and my triglycerides are 47.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I improved my numbers across the board with weight loss, exercise, increases in fiber and concentrating on more whole foods.

Also, if you want a treat, I tend to make my own. The recipes I use the most often are on www.theproteinchef.co . Most of his recipes are made from oats, eggs/whites, greek yogurt, oat/cocounut/almond flour. Most taste really good too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Stay away from added sugars. I don't eat sugar or grain and my triglycerides are 47.

I eat grains every day and usually a bit of added sugar each day (not a lot). My carbs are pretty high because I eat a high fiber diet. My triglycerides are also 47 B)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

Perhaps look for recipes that use almond flour or other nut flours/meals (to minimize wheat flour) as well. Good luck!