Why I'm here. (Warning it gets a Little sad)

Options
2»

Replies

• avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    everher wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    2 lbs a week is unrealistic and unhealthy in the long-term.
    You need to be training properly and hope for about 1 pound a week.
    Any more than that and you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.
    You might lose 1.5 or 2 pounds a week and first but that will soon end.

You need to focus on weight training instead of cardio if you want to lose "weight" and hope to keep it off.
    In reality you should be thinking in terms of losing fat and adding muscle instead.
    That means your weight might not change sometimes but your waist size might.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is how many calories you burn just by being alive.
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is how many calories you burn with exercise and the like.

Weight lifting will also help to prevent osteoporosis and increase bone density which is a frequent problem with women.
    Don't worry about getting "bulky". It will not (can not) happen.
    The more muscle you have the higher your BMR, so it is easier to keep the weigh off.
    Cardio might burn muscle which can make it harder to keep weight off.

Make sure you are getting at least 80 grams of protein per dayin your diet.
    You probably aren't getting much more than 1/2 of that.
    About 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight would be better once you start training properly.

Cardio should be after weight training or on days that you do not lift, for now.

This site explains what you need to do and have access to: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Start by reading to educate yourself.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

For what it is worth, the book Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body will teach you more about effective training, nutrition and diet than many people here even pretend to know.

You can do it if you want to bad enough.
    Crying and feeling sorry for yourself is in the past.
    Start imaging yourself 2 or 3 years from now and keep working towards that goal.
    It is all about discipline and dedication. No one can do this for you.
    You have to want it bad enough to make sacrifices every day.

Log your food more accurately and open up your food diary if you want help.

I wouldn't worry about any of this OP. With so much to lose, you should be able to safely lose 2 lbs a week for the foreseeable future. Exercise isn't something I would worry myself about either or protein consumption, not at this point.

I would just make small changes and eventually all those small changes will add up.

I agree. I lost 50-60 lbs (100% through diet and tracking calories) before I even started working on my exercise or protein intake. I think down the road it's something to consider but just starting out. Just focus on making the small changes and tracking calories

I'm going to agree as well. We bigger folk can very safely lose more than 2 pounds a week for a while without it being a problem. It is smaller people who shouldn't try losing more than that. We're not there yet so do what feels safe and effective! Seriously, I've lost 17 pounds this month and nothing is wrong because I weigh a lot. As I get closer to goal, that loss speed will slow down.

But I will also agree with that guy about Stronglifts 5x5 if you're interested in weight lifting. If not, check out some of the awesome HIIT workouts on YouTube. What I like about SL5x5 is that I'm competing with myself only. It's simple and somehow that simplicity is peaceful. Plus, having stronger muscles is especially important when you have a heavy body to support. But doing bodyweight exercises via HIIT is effective as well. The biggest reason I recommend them is that you sound sad and those two types of exercise are the only kinds that made me feel that natural high afterward. My elliptical doesn't and neither does walking/jogging so I can't recommend them. Who knows? Maybe for you it's kickboxing or yoga.

If you're not into exercise yet, just getting the right macro+calorie balance will help you with losing. If you get stuck, check with doctors. That's about it for unsolicited 2 cents. I wish you well, chica. It can all be very overwhelming but you can do it once you find your flow. <3
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You got this! It's hard to see past the hurtful things that people say. I have struggled for so long with self esteem and confidence. From the time I was in kindergarten all the way to the end of high school, I swear there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't get made fun of. It wears you down. I'm 34 and just now starting to realize my worth. We are somebody. Perfectly imperfect in our own way. Use your past as your strength. No one is perfect, especially people that say hateful things. But you are you. No one on this earth like you. And that's something to be proud of. I also read that your a mom and one quote that I love is "To the world you may be one person, but to your children your are their world." Now take your past and use it as fuel to kick butt in this weight loss journey!!!!

Thank you for this. I'm not a mom yet but I hope to be sone dat.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I agree. I lost 50-60 lbs (100% through diet and tracking calories) before I even started working on my exercise or protein intake. I think down the road it's something to consider but just starting out. Just focus on making the small changes and tracking calories
    I didn't say she would not lose weight doing that. I said she shouldn't do that if she wants to keep the weight off.
    Health and fitness is more than just your "weight".

To keep the weight off, prevent muscle loss due to diet (not to mention sarcopenia) and help prevent osteoporosis she needs to be weight training.
    This is especially true since she has given herself a "deadline".
    A consistent weight training routine will make her look "smaller", even if her "weight" does not manage to move as much.

Small changes only "add up" if there are enough of them and they are mostly good ones.
    I used to be a personal trainer back in the day and I still coach 3 days per week.
    Feel free to take my advice and experience or leave it, as you wish.

All of your points are valid but telling someone who's 150lbs over weight and inexperienced in training that they have to start lifting weights and tracking macros can be a bit much to begin with. These are all important things but probably should be built up to.

Making small changes and building on those over time to create sustainable changes is probably a more effective way forward for most. Although you're a PT it doesn't necessarily qualify you to give nutrition advice or psychological advice which may be more what the OP needs

Things like - getting some exercise even if it's just taking the stairs, parking further away when going to the shops or getting a short walk in with a friend, cutting out/down on soda and beverages that contain calories, eating more vegetables, logging accurately to learn about baseline calorie intake and appropriate portion sizes, having some protein with every meal or working out some effective ways of dealing with stress and emotions that don't involve food.
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking the first step. It might be a long road, but you'll get there. Good luck!
  • crazycat1977
    crazycat1977 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You will get there, I have fair way to go but in time it will be achieved. I found this group really helps, as done tracking what I'm eating. Sending you a big hug, you've taken the first big step x
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You are Beautiful no matter what size you are. Get healthy because you love your body not because you hate it. You have support here :smile: Good Luck, I know you got this! And if you want one more friend, I am a good one to have.
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have only been logging for a few day and im finding is very difficult to stay in the goals and it makes me realsize how much I was eating before. I find carbs are my big problem. And sugars a, close second. I also don't get enough protein in my diet. There is so much to work on.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Focus mostly on calories. I almost always go over my sodium, and I can sometimes be significantly below my protein, but so long as your food choices put you under your calories, you are going to lose weight. Eat a variety of foods and it's going to balance out.