Is it ok to eat proteins late at night when trying to shed fat?

Options
Even when calorie countstays below goal?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. Meal timing is largely irrelevant with a few exceptions (elite athletes, some medical conditions).
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Why would it influence that? As long as your are in a caloric deficit you will continue to loose fat, I plan on having a 1200 calorie shake right before bed and I'll still be lucky if I put on any weight this week.
  • bestkeptent714
    bestkeptent714 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was told that it's not good to eat alot after 6pm because that's when yourbless likely to burn calories
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was told that it's not good to eat alot after 6pm because that's when yourbless likely to burn calories

I eat most of my calories after 730pm. Guess I'm screwed.

(last time I checked, bodies don't switch off... You still burn calories in your sleep)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's completely false. It was started as a means to restrict calories unconsciously. There is nothing magical about not eating after a certain time.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's a myth.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat all my foods between 7pm and 4am... Night shift worker and I've been dropping weight at a steady rate
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I wonder who started that rumour
    I only stopped eating late due to greed and heartburn
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like, whenever you like. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options

1. I don't even get home from work till 6 pm. Then I have a snack, go for a walk, have dinner between about 7:30 pm and 8 pm, and have two more snacks before bed. And yet I managed to lose 55 lbs.

2. Whose 6 pm? Mine? Yours? What happens when you travel or when daylight savings time comes or goes?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You burn less when you sleep, however if you're below your TDEE, even eating CARBS shouldn't stop you from losing fat. As mentioned, meal timing is pretty irrelevant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I wonder who started that rumour
    I only stopped eating late due to greed and heartburn

I can understand how the rumour started - because I can see that some people lose the plot on their weight loss program due to mindless eating after tea, in front of the tellie, high calorie snacks, far more than they realise

So if that is you OP - think about whether changing habits would help you.

* Counting calories of course negates the 'far more than you realise' part - but the habit may still be a factor in compliance and some people like structure and rules to help them stay on course.
    As long as you recognise it is a self imposed rule to achieve calorie reduction and only use it if it helps you ; the timing is not a must in itself