Where do I start?!?!

Hello everyone!
I need help. This is my first true effort to eat clean and get healthy. I currently weigh 245 which means I have about 120lbs to lose. However I've never done this before and I am looking for help... Does anyone have any suggestions for working out? What about weight training, when should I start that? Any support give would be absolutely amazing so I don't feel alone in this battle.

Here's to your health and mine.

Cheers!

Replies

• maiyako
    maiyako Posts: 16 Member
    First of all, congratulations on taking the first step - deciding you want to make a change! Try not to take too much on at first. I dont really have any advice regarding weight training, as I dont have experience with it myself. But eating better was the first step for me. Now I feel like I have more energy, so I can actually be more active and do sports. Feel free to add me if you need some friends on MFP to help keep you motivated!
  • Mermaidtriathlete
    Mermaidtriathlete Posts: 18 Member
    Start SLOW!! Find something you enjoy. Love your body, love yourself. Stay patient & positive.
  • NanaNana598
    NanaNana598 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there. I'm also new. Not new to dieting that's been a way of life since having my baby (she's now 28years old).but this time is going to be a healthy life change. Eating better and started yesterday with apple cider vinegar in my teA, with Garadinia Cambogia 1200 calories a day im hoping 30lbs gone by May 1st. Then i will worry about the next 30. Gar.Cam. is suppose to curve my appetite and give me energy with no caffeine. Well that sounds great but I can eat if I feel hungry or not and chocolate calls my name. So any support or helpful tips are welcome. I will be here if you need company for this journey.Good luck.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Welcome and congrats on the first step. For me, I'd start slow. Get a few weeks under your belt of just controlling your food intake and meal prepping.

The start to add some workouts in. I have about 100 to lose. I find mini goals are best (5) lb goals. It's easier to see that next milestone then 100 to go.

Feel free to add me!! I have my profile set up with mini goals to help me crush them.

Slow and steady in this lifestyle change. Don't rush it or your crash.
  • luvsclassics
    luvsclassics Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, great decision. Congrats. I recommend to start a calendar or small notebook to state your exercise goals, start small, like walk for 10 minutes. Well fitting sneakers with good support is important. Do you use Pintrest? Pintrest has exercise section.
    You're welcome to add me as friend. ( not sure how to do this myself).
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Welcome and congrats on the first step. For me, I'd start slow. Get a few weeks under your belt of just controlling your food intake and meal prepping.

The start to add some workouts in. I have about 100 to lose. I find mini goals are best (5) lb goals. It's easier to see that next milestone then 100 to go.

Feel free to add me!! I have my profile set up with mini goals to help me crush them.

Slow and steady in this lifestyle change. Don't rush it or your crash.

ydsel39d4xr0.png
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Hey, welcome! I started at 259 and haven't strayed far from a size 18 since before puberty, so I get how hard it is, I feel like I've been dieting all my life. I'm currently 217.5 and trying to get to 159.

I recommend:
    1) Start by visiting your doctor! They will give you information and resources about your newfound motivation for a healthier lifestyle. They might even refer you to a nutritionist.
    2) Start a routine where you get enough sleep and can get up early enough to start your day (6am-7am)
    3) While you are doing that, educate yourself on nutrition: take half an hour each day to read and think about nutrition, how to read labels, the different kinds of fats, grains, and sugars. Start planning what your Red Flags are going to be in food (mine are added fructose, soybean oil, and artificial colors).
    4) Slowly incorporate healthy activity in your daily lifestyle- go on a daily walk, go swimming twice a week, spend at least one weekend a month hiking or canoeing or another RIGOROUS outdoor activity, sign up for 5Ks, start stretching each morning, etc.
    5) Once you've achieved this lifestyle, get used to it! It should take about 2 weeks to get the rhythm going (sleep pattern, learning, daily walks, etc); take another 2 weeks to get used to it and become excited about pushing yourself harder.
    6) Now, after you have adopted a new lifestyle that craves more energy, there is working out. There are so many ways to work out. You could start with a spin class and warm up stretches beforehand. You could do Zumba 3x a week. You could do HIIT, boxing, or bellydancing. If you prefer working out alone, then this is what I was told by my trainer when I started going to the gym years ago: start with free weights, preferably dumbbells (start around 5-10lbs depending on your arm strength), and do that for 15 minutes, then do 30 minutes of cardio, then end with 15 more minutes of weights. This is for optimal muscle building and fat burning. Of course, that is for an hour workout which I'm not sure you want to start with.

Now, that's just my suggestion. If you are really dedicated about going, you can always just start going to the gym anytime you want, but I will tell you it is not necessary just to lose weight- I've lost 42lbs so far this round and not gone to the gym once to do it. If you are committed to making it a lifestyle change it won't matter to you that it's coming off slowly, because guess what: tomorrow will come, and the next day and the next. You will lose the weight if you go slow, and you will lose the weight if you go fast, but you are much more likely to gain it all back if you go fast. Going to the gym (working out in general) is not just for fat loss, it is to get healthy, to make your system more efficient and build your strength. Best of luck in your goal, feel free to friend me if you want an accountability buddy :)