Year to Recommit, Refocus, & Hit Them Gains

Options
Many years I have tried to gain weight and plateaued. I work in a college and I'm steadily walking and pushing things. As an advisor, it's difficult to sit down and enjoy a meal. So, this year should be the year, I drop the excuses and focus on what I really want in the long run. I want to gain healthy fat and muscle, feel good and energetic, and push myself and others to get to where we need to be.

If you have any meal, protein powders, supplements, or training suggestions, please share!
This is a year to regain ourselves and weight! Send me a friend request for support!

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here's my one recommendation, based on my own many years of getting it wrong. You have to make yourself, your health, and your well-being a priority. Take care of yourself first and foremost. It is your first responsibility and nobody else will do it for you. That will prepare you to live longer, healthier, do better at work, and be better able to care for and deal with others. It isn't a question of time, supplements, or training regimen, it is a question of priorities. If it matters to you, make time for it. You owe it to yourself to do it. Make it happen.

BTW, I am a professor and senior academic administrator at a public research university, as well as a father of two children. I know the pressures you face and I really cannot overstate how important it is to make time for yourself.
  • Bones2Toned
    Bones2Toned Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Here's my one recommendation, based on my own many years of getting it wrong. You have to make yourself, your health, and your well-being a priority. Take care of yourself first and foremost. It is your first responsibility and nobody else will do it for you. That will prepare you to live longer, healthier, do better at work, and be better able to care for and deal with others. It isn't a question of time, it is a question of priorities. If it matters to you, make time to exercise and eat right. You owe it to yourself to do it. Make it happen.

I agree with this 100%. Resultantly, I'm redirecting my focus towards myself, what I know to be right, rewarding, and positive. Thank you so much!!!
  • sbrandt37
    Options
    You are so welcome. You can do this!
  • sbrandt37
    Options
    Here's another little piece of advice: Keep the goals in mind, but focus your daily efforts on the small, sustainable lifestyle changes that will get you there. Schedule time every week for mindful meal planning and schedule time every day for meal prep, eating, and exercise. Make it a goal to do them every day (and forgive the occasional lapses). Celebrate each one as a success that contributes to your long-term health and well-being. If you make those things a habit, with occasionally corrections as you check your progress against your goals, you will get where you want to be and stay there.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Definitely! The second step I just made a change to my job schedule! This should help with an extra day towards meal planning, additional sleep, and church time.

I appreciate your advice. It's very refreshing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Preplanning your meals can make a huge difference in terms of consistency. And if you want to gain, being consistent is key, even more so if you want to gain muscle so all your gains are not just fat. Taking is slow is also important (mitigates some fat gains). Generally, you want to gain about 1/2 -1 lb per week. I have a few threads on strategies for high calorie foods and drinks, as well as, a good thread on resistance programs that can be used to gain some muscle and stay a bit more lean and healthier as you gain weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    What are your opinions on Gaining for some months and then working out to tone it into muscle?
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    And thank you I read that thread yesterday! I tend to eat pretty fine. I just forget to incorporate more protein.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ksmallw3 wrote: »
    What are your opinions on Gaining for some months and then working out to tone it into muscle?

I generally suggest starting as soon as you can or feel comfortable. The main reason is basef on calorie partitioning, which suggest the more lean you are, the more likely you body or more primed your body will add new muscle.

I do understand that you might want to get your diet down first and then start to workout, which is fine.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Yes that's it. I'm just trying to keep consistent with eating habits. Once I've been on track for a month, I'm certain I will want to start working out. There's nothing wrong with that right ? I'm only 106 lbs.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm severely underweight (5'11, 100 pounds). I tried getting back into lifting, but it's too much at the moment. I'm working on eating more with very light cardio to keep my energy levels going. I will try lifting again after I gain a few pounds.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ksmallw3 wrote: »
    Yes that's it. I'm just trying to keep consistent with eating habits. Once I've been on track for a month, I'm certain I will want to start working out. There's nothing wrong with that right ? I'm only 106 lbs.

You should be fine.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Ok thank you for your feedback!!
  • TayRich23
    TayRich23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a petite female and used to be underweight. I was able to get to a healthy weight but I am not quite finished with my journey and transformation. Feel free to message me if you need any extra motivation or advice.
  • whitney12rodriguez
    whitney12rodriguez Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I started my transformation on January 9 at 5'3" and weighing 93lbs my all time low I needed to make a change. I started 12 week shortcut to size program completely free and comes with meal plan on bodyspace. As of today I weigh 97lbs. I am on week 4 of the program and so amped up.
  • slimgoody284
    slimgoody284 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try this vitamin syrup .Call appetmin i gain 48 pounds .I started at 92 pounds now I'm at 140 .