Confused if I should raise calories? Plateau?

Options
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I don't really know how to explain it...
So I've hit a bit of a plateau with my weight loss. I've loss almost 45 pounds now and have gone back and forth with a pound for the last month now. What's confusing me is last night I ate well over my calories (+500) and this morning I have lost 2 pounds. Now I know that it could be that im not eating enough and that's why eating over kick started the metabolism but I have my calories already set at 1500-1700 a day (still exercising) and my bmr is 1514. So I'm quite hesitant to eat 2000 every day. Any suggestions if I should up my calories or if this was a one time thing? Or any suggestions on getting rid of a plateau? Again sorry if this makes no sense!

Replies

• goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Following
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have left to lose?

If you lost 2 lbs over the past month, that's an average of .5 lbs per week, which isn't bad depending on how far you have left to go. Weight loss is not going to be completely linear - you may hold on to some weight for a few weeks and then lose a few lbs all at once, or you could gain a lb one week and the next week be down 1.5 lbs. The important thing is that you are on a downward trend over time.

P.S., there is no reason to worry about starvation mode or "kickstarting" your metabolism. That's not really a thing, at least not in the context you're imagining it. :smile:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've experienced the same on occasion, but don't let it fool you, permanently eating more will not speed up your weight loss. Perhaps it could be explained by retaining water because you were putting stress in your body pushing to lose more and when you eased up a bit, the water was released. Pretty sure that's what went on with me.

That extra food may have been the break your body needed but generally you just want to keep doing what you're doing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Since you lost 2 pounds, I would not change anything at this point.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I really needed to weigh in low today, so I had a beer last night to wake up a bit dehydrated. Totally worked.

No, adding a beer every day isn't going to help my weight loss.

And yes, you're essentially saying the same thing I am. ;)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are not so efficient that what we do in one day automatically shows results the next day.

Your profile shows you are within 3 pounds of your goal weight. Your new smaller body burns less energy now than it did 40 pounds ago. Meaning that accuracy is very important now in order to have a deficit. Use a food scale, for everything solid. Expect to lose .5-1 pound a week at most, but a more reasonable # is 1-2 pounds a month.
    kelhea wrote: »
    Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I don't really know how to explain it...
    So I've hit a bit of a plateau with my weight loss. I've loss almost 45 pounds now and have gone back and forth with a pound for the last month now. What's confusing me is last night I ate well over my calories (+500) and this morning I have lost 2 pounds. Now I know that it could be that im not eating enough and that's why eating over kick started the metabolism but I have my calories already set at 1500-1700 a day (still exercising) and my bmr is 1514. So I'm quite hesitant to eat 2000 every day. Any suggestions if I should up my calories or if this was a one time thing? Or any suggestions on getting rid of a plateau? Again sorry if this makes no sense!

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I really needed to weigh in low today, so I had a beer last night to wake up a bit dehydrated. Totally worked.

Damn!

I get the same thing, but the day following (so 2 mornings after the beer) I'm up.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This happens and is pretty common ... IMO, stick with your calories at a deficit. Sometimes I stay the same weight for weeks, and then I will drop 3 lbs in two days. I know people make it sound like the body works like a machine or with the predictable precision of a mathematical formula: X calories = Y loss per 7 days. Doesn't really seem to go that way -- at least for me. (I've lost over 100 lbs btw. Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep records, too -- over time you'll see trends, which I think helps when it feels like nothing is happening.)

Also, think of it this way: if the scale moves down this week (and stays down), it's probably because of what you did the previous week or two, not necessarily the previous 24 hrs.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

Damn!

I get the same thing, but the day following (so 2 mornings after the beer) I'm up.

I'm fine with that! I needed to be under 163 this morning to win my month on my diet bet. Now I've got 4 weeks to lose the next 5 lb, which severely limits my beer intake for the rest of the month.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your deficit calories since your 45 pound loss?