What is straving ??

It's just been one month that i started my weight loss journey, and my body is still adjusting to the new routine of my life, I get hungry a lot , so lets say i was feeling hungry after a meal , and i ate a handful of Almonds ( about 25 grams ) or 2 carrots or an apple etc as a snack between the meals, but after 20 minutes or so my stomach starts grumbling again and wants more food. Now i know that i am not calories starved because i just ate 20 minutes ago , so if i do not eat anything else till my next meal , am i starving myself ??

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    You'll get better info if you open your food diary to public.

How many calories/day are you eating? What is your current height/weight? How much are you getting in fat/protein per day?

Too many variables here to really get any good advice.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    serindipte wrote: »
    You'll get better info if you open your food diary to public.

How many calories/day are you eating? What is your current height/weight? How much are you getting in fat/protein per day?

Too many variables here to really get any good advice.

And are you male or female, and how old?
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Firstly we need to know your weight height and calorie intake. Also how active you are. Then we can work out what intake you should be consuming.
  • Amber_7556
    Amber_7556 Posts: 29 Member
    I was not meaning to say " starving " as the literal starvation. I just meant what everyone refers to when weight loss "we should not starve ourselves because body will hold on to the weight " thing .
  • Amber_7556
    Firstly we need to know your weight height and calorie intake. Also how active you are. Then we can work out what intake you should be consuming.
    250 lbs, 64 inch , and I am focusing on 1600 calories. I am female in my 30s with pcos disorder
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    masoompna wrote: »
    I was not meaning to say " starving " as the literal starvation. I just meant what everyone refers to when weight loss "we should not starve ourselves because body will hold on to the weight " thing .

this is a dieting myth - you DO NOT hold onto calories/weight when you decrease the number of calories that you eat.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member

That's mostly nonsense, so try to forget about that as a concept.

Now as weird as it sounds, a lot of people have trouble actually telling when they're truly "hungry" (a lot eat when they're thirsty, bored,etc).

If hunger really IS an issue for you, you could probably up your daily calories a bit, 1600 for 250lbs seems a little low (I'm 70lbs lighter and eat more than that in a deficit, you could maybe try 1800-2000 for a bit and see if that helps).

Basically if you're hell bent on doing a really BIG deficit, you're going to HAVE to deal with hunger.
  • Amber_7556
    ccrdragon wrote: »

this is a dieting myth - you DO NOT hold onto calories/weight when you decrease the number of calories that you eat.
    really? That's what i have been reading almost everywhere for forever .

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    250 lbs, 64 inch , and I am focusing on 1600 calories. I am female in my 30s with pcos disorder

If you are logging accurately, the reason you're hungry between meals is you aren't eating enough. Log everything accurately and consistently. Eat up to your calorie goal - it already has your required deficit in there, so you don't need to eat below that number, you should strive to hit it. Focus on getting enough protein, fat, and fiber as these things often help people with satiety. Good luck
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    It could just be you body still getting used to your new routine. I read somewhere that it takes 3 months for your body to adjust. Keep hanging in there and eat low cals like fruit and nuts. This will also stop you blood sugar from rising and falling :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Which is why it is the most common myth in weight loss. Just because so many believe it does not make it so.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member

Total myth. Made up, I suspect, by dieters that have never been successful because they find ridiculous ways to justify eating more. Calories in/Calories out. That's it.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    My truth is I have to be hungry a good part of the day in order to loose weight. I drink a lot of water, tea, coffee to trick myself. I am usually happy if I can have one meal per day that actually fills me up. Each of us have to figure out what works for us.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Look up your BMR and your TDEE or your NEAT. Without discussing any pop science or TV myth of dieting, just look up your BMR and consume calories between your BMR and your TDEE. If you exercise a lot, eat back some but not all of your exercise calories.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Assuming the days you've logged are accurate, you aren't coming anywhere close to the 1600c that MFP has suggested. If you aren't logging everything, then you have no true way of knowing where you are in this. Start there, tighten up on your logging. If you haven't already, get a food scale and weigh out your portions, log it with the appropriate entry.

I see some items that look to be recipes. Are these ones you've entered or are you snagging ones others have saved? Those likely aren't going to be accurate for what you're eating, so again, you're not going to know how many calories you're actually eating.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10496479/so-whats-the-worst-weight-loss-myth

:)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Are you drinking enough? Some people mistake thirst for hunger. Also having a large glass of water will sort hunger pangs for a bit if you don't want to eat yet.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    You may find that combining your macros for a snack is more fulfilling. Eating carrots or apples by themselves for example, does not satisfy me. If I put some peanut butter on the apple slices however, its a great snack and I don't feel hungry for a while. Peanut butter is calorie dense of course, but it doesn't take alot. Perhaps 16 grams spread over 60-80 grams of apple slices.

Eating grapes or carrots: might as well have not eaten anything. Eating them with an ounce of cheese or a couple of ounces of ham or turkey works well though. I think for me its having carbs w/ protein and a little fat.
    It's just been one month that i started my weight loss journey, and my body is still adjusting to the new routine of my life, I get hungry a lot , so lets say i was feeling hungry after a meal , and i ate a handful of Almonds ( about 25 grams ) or 2 carrots or an apple etc as a snack between the meals, but after 20 minutes or so my stomach starts grumbling again and wants more food. Now i know that i am not calories starved because i just ate 20 minutes ago , so if i do not eat anything else till my next meal , am i starving myself ??

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Most people can go for a few days without food without doing permanent harm to themselves, so no you won't starve yourself if you don't eat until the next meal. But hunger helps us know when it is time to eat and if you are exercising when you are hungry there is a greater risk of doing harm.