Weight Loss Anomoly

Hey all, so 15 days ago I started on my weight loss journey with the help of this app to help me track my daily intake, weight loss, and workout. Ive been going to the gym for about 3 hours each morning on average (7 days/week) and up until yesterday i was losing a consistant 1 pound per day. Leaving me 14 lbs lighter at my morning weigh in yesterday. However, upon weighing myself this morning, as i have been every morning; i found that i had gained 2 pounds. As far as i can tell, nothing has changed with my diet or workout within the last 15 days and i didnt cheat on my meal plan yesterday. If anyone could offer some insite into why i gained 2 lbs in such a short period of time when ive been consistently losing 1 lb per day for the last 2 weeks it would be greatly appreciated. Im not upset with the gain as my goal is to only lose 2.5 pounds per week but i am curious as to why this may be. Thanks again.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I would be more curious why your scale has showed a consistent daily loss of a whole pound? How much do you weigh? How much are you eating? Does the scale have fresh batteries?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I would be more curious why your scale has showed a consistent daily loss of a whole pound? How much do you weigh? How much are you eating? Does the scale have fresh batteries?

That's what I would be curious about as well.
  • SaintChase
    SaintChase Posts: 9 Member
    Ive been using the scale at the rec center i go to to work-out. Its a wall plug in unit so theres no batteries. When i started eating clean and working out i weighed 250lbs and this morning i weighed in at 238lbs. I talked to a nutritionist on monday as i was concerned about the rapid weight loss and after showing him my daily intake/workout log over the period since i had started, he said that over a short period of time i shoulf be okay to continue the way i have been. Apparently the average adult male needs between 1300 and 1500 calories a day for proper body function. Over the last 2 weeks ive had an average daily intake of 2136 calories. So he said if i can keep my daily caloric intake above 2000 calories while keeping good macros i should be okay.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you are not going at this in a sustainable manner.

it is dangerous, stupid, and youre setting yourself up for failure.
  • SaintChase
    So im in no way starving myself. Im more often choking down food than i am feeling hungry. He also did warned me that my energy level in the gym while weight lifting will be minimal due to the caloric deficit. And that over a long period of time i would be at risk of losing lean muscle mass. However if i continue the weight lifting schedule i have been on, the muscle mass loss should be minimal.
  • chubbibunnies
    chubbibunnies Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Congrats on the weight-loss! I disagree with the above poster, often for the first week or two of a new 'diet' or just counting calories people will lose very large amounts of weight. A pound a day is not unheard of just because of water weight loss or just the extra bulk leaving your digestive system.

A gain of two pounds could easily be a normal fluctuation, water or inflammation or a big meal. other people can chime in with more detail too. The key is that weight loss is not linear, fluctuations happen often but as long as the overall calorie deficit is right you will lose weight over time. So keep at it!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    SaintChase wrote: »
    So im in no way starving myself. Im more often choking down food than i am feeling hungry. He also did warned me that my energy level in the gym while weight lifting will be minimal due to the caloric deficit. And that over a long period of time i would be at risk of losing lean muscle mass. However if i continue the weight lifting schedule i have been on, the muscle mass loss should be minimal.

The initial weight loss was mostly water weight. That will start to even out now as you go along.

If you just started lifting weights, your muscles will retain water while they repair themselves.

That said - if you're eating on average 2136 calories per day and getting adequate nutrients, you will be fine. Two weeks is not long enough to be worried about weight fluctuation. Continue tracking for the next 6 weeks or so and look for a downward trend.

Also, if you're lifting weights 7 days a week for 3 hours a day, I agree that is way overkill. Your muscles need rest days.
  • SaintChase
    I understand that this isnt sustainable and i dont plan on it needing to be sustained. I booked myself for an appointment with the nutritionist because i was concerned about the health impact.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    You've lost a ton of water over the first couple of weeks. This is common when starting a calorie deficit.

Now comes the portion that is often slower and less linear, losing fat.

Also, please consider working in rest days so you don't hurt yourself or burn out. Even if you decide to work out daily (I do), you need lighter days layered in there because your body needs a chance to repair. In fitness, recovery is super important.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It does seem strange that you were losing a pound per day, but given that many people drop several pounds the first week anyway and there seems to have been a "correction" this morning, it can probably all be explained as normal fluctuations during weight loss, though somewhat aggressive.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    you are not going at this in a sustainable manner.

it is dangerous, stupid, and youre setting yourself up for failure.

Not really helpful.

@SaintChase The concern is that you are losing a lot faster than the recommended 2 lb per week. But as you are new to losing weight, you have probably lost a fair amount of water weight, and not fat.

Weight loss is not linear and your weight will go up and down, even if you are doing everything correct. It just will. Be ready for your weight to bump around as it goes down. As others have said, a consistent weight loss of 1 lb per day is very surprising. It just is not that consistent normally. What you saw was a fluke.

Be careful on how much you are eating versus how much you burn. It looks like you are being pretty aggressive at the gym, but be sure not to injure yourself
  • SaintChase

The initial weight loss was mostly water weight. That will start to even out now as you go along.

If you just started lifting weights, your muscles will retain water while they repair themselves.

That said - if you're eating on average 2136 calories per day and getting adequate nutrients, you will be fine. Two weeks is not long enough to be worried about weight fluctuation. Continue tracking for the next 6 weeks or so and look for a downward trend.

Also, if you're lifting weights 7 days a week for 3 hours a day, I agree that is way overkill. Your muscles need rest days.

I havent been weight lifting for 3 hours a day, ive been spending an average of 3 hours a day in the gym. Normally 1h 45m on cardio, 45 mins weight lifting and then stretching and so-on.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Weight loss is not linear and you should expect to see higher losses earlier on when reducing intake. Like others, I'm surprised at the consistency so far of 1 lb. loss per day. It seems like that is too much, and you are starting to bounce back a bit. As you continue, you should expect to lose some days and gain other days. Over time, if you are doing everything right, you will settle out with an overall loss.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member

I havent been weight lifting for 3 hours a day, ive been spending an average of 3 hours a day in the gym. Normally 1h 45m on cardio, 45 mins weight lifting and then stretching and so-on.

That's still 3 hours/day without a rest day? Honestly, I'd reduce that and give yourself at least 1-2 rest days/week so you don't get injured.
  • SaintChase
    You've lost a ton of water over the first couple of weeks. This is common when starting a calorie deficit.

Also, please consider working in rest days so you don't hurt yourself or burn out. Even if you decide to work out daily (I do), you need lighter days layered in there because your body needs a chance to repair. In fitness, recovery is super important.

I totally understand the rest days. The majority of my time spent in the gym is cardio. And with the weight lifting, ive been cycling through muscle groups per day so typically a specific muscle group will have 3 or more days of rest and recovery before i work on it again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I totally understand the rest days. The majority of my time spent in the gym is cardio. And with the weight lifting, ive been cycling through muscle groups per day so typically a specific muscle group will have 3 or more days of rest and recovery before i work on it again.

Rest days are important for cardio as well.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member

Rest days = days not actively exercising, to give you body time to recover and repair itself. Regardless of what you're doing you still need at least 1-2 rest days/week. If you want you can go for a walk or do yoga or something non-strenuous but please give youself at least 1-2 days out of the gym so you don't injure yourself!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    I started at 279. With an intake of ~2500 cals, I lost 10 lbs in the first week, 25 lbs in the first month. Given how often I was "going", the majority of that was water weight. After the first month, the weight loss settled down to a more reasonable/expected 1-2 lbs per week. So, given your starting point, I'm not at all surprised by your initial quick losses.

You said you are using the scale at the rec center. As you go forward, you are going to see more variations (up/down wiggles), as there will be dependencies on what you eaten, how much you've had to drink, etc. I suggest you get yourself a scale at home, and weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you've "gone", while wearing the same clothes (or lack thereof), each time. That will take away a lot of variance in your weighing.