Food scale ideas

Options
So, I'm in the market for a new food scale and was wondering if you had any recommendations. Do you absolutely love your food scale and can recommend it? Any one to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it tares, weighs in grams, and auto shut off isn't a few seconds. It's a PITA when you are weighing multiple things and the darn scale cuts off.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Make sure you can see the reading with a plate on the scale. Some pull out, others are angled. My first one, I could never see the read out so bought another with the angled screen.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Oh! And make sure it takes normal AAAish batteries. I bought one once and it took watch style batteries and those are just more annoying, to me, to replace.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh! And make sure it takes normal AAAish batteries. I bought one once and it took watch style batteries and those are just more annoying, to me, to replace.

Mine take the "coin" batteries and I was so worried that the batteries would die quicker since my husbands started weighing his food also this week, that I bought a 10pk on amazon! Better to be prepared :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I use the Oxo 11 lb scale. The pull out display is invaluable when trying to weigh large bowls or plates. It's also built like a tank.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    brandi8484 wrote: »

That's the same one I have! I love it !
  • success313
    success313 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nice suggestions! Thank you
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I have this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Weigh-KD-7000-Kitchen-And-Craft-Digital-Scale-Silver-My-Weigh-AC-Adapter/52204242?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1875&adid=22222222227040166415&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99308665114&wl4=pla-232410791314&wl5=9006620&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113137471&wl11=online&wl12=52204242&wl13=&veh=sem

It weighs up to 13 pounds, so you can weigh a pot full of your own recipe to figure calories by the ounce. Weighs in oz., pounds and oz. together, grams and kg. Has a handy tare feature, and hold feature, so you can read the scale after removing the object being weighed.

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    High weight limit. There may be a time when you want to weigh out a whole recipe (like my dinner tonight). Set the servings to the number of grams and weigh what you serve yourself. Looks odd getting 250 servings but it is better than approximating 1/4 of a pot.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A tare function is huge, don't get a scale without it.

On styles, I had one with a flush tempered glass top. I could never get the buttons to work right on it. Then it died after like 6 months. After that I got an Escali Primo, which has lasted over 5 years and I really like. It is difficult to read if you put a full-sized plate on it--this isn't an issue for me, but it might be for you.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I use the Oxo 11 lb scale. The pull out display is invaluable when trying to weigh large bowls or plates. It's also built like a tank.

This is just getting weird.

Same.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I bought the "EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale" years ago for $20 and it does the job! The batteries take ages to die and it's accurate af. My only issue with it is that it doesn't weigh liquid and that when weighing really large dishes (i.e., trays) it can be a little difficult to read the screen, but for the price I got it for I can't really complain. I adapted by buying measuring cups and using smaller cook/bakeware, when possible. :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

This is just getting weird.

Same.

Weird, bordering on spooky... ;)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've had an Escali scale for over a decade. It was not cheap, but is so accurate I use it to ship packages. Always matches the post office scale and did I mention I've been using it continuously for ten years. The on/off button is starting to crack and the optional A/C adapter died years ago, but it still works great. It uses a 9V battery which is semi-annoying, but less annoying than a coin. If I didn't keep it on my island with no outlet I would just get another A/C adapter for it. My scale holds a lot of weight too. I use heavy glass mixing bowls to weigh out ingredients for cooking and baking and have yet to max it out.