I Can't Start to Eat More!

Options
I'm 20, 5'7 and 108 lbs with a really small frame. I've lost around 8 lbs in two months, but I'm still restricting my portions and calories. I am so afraid to change the slightest thing. I still can not even eat some junk food without punishing myself with no actual dinner that day-I know it is crazy.

I need some advice from people experienced with that stuff.

How did you guys start eating more while transitioning into maintainance? It seems scary. Should I count? Does IIFYM help? What if the calculators are not meant for me? How to find the most accurate numbers? :s

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Between the severely underweight BMI (nearly off the bottom end of the chart) and the psychological issues ("self-punishment") this sounds like a potential eating disorder and something perhaps best discussed with your doctor, soon.

This
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need professional help. People on here might be able to give you moral support, but you appear to have some serious disordered thinking.
  • Bridogg72
    Bridogg72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Please See your doctor and ask to see a dietitian. They will be able to give you the best advice at this stage
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You're severely underweight and based on what you've written, you seem to have developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. Please speak to your doctor or a mental health professional that specializes in eating disorders.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating every 2/4 hours? Yes, 108 is below weight. I do agree with everyone else.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Please seek medical and counseling attention.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In addition to seeking help, you can eat all the veggies you want without logging them. You never have to feel guilty about eating them. So, in the meantime, try easing into maintenance by eating something guilt-free. And schedule an appointment with a Dr. soon to discuss your nutrition and healthy goals.
  • iremsusanliturk
    iremsusanliturk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know that my weight sounds too low, but believe me I don't look 108 at all. I don't actually know how but size 6 skinny jeans do not fit me, so I guess there is nothing no worry.

But unfortunately I can not disagree with the mental health part. I feel like I'd lose the main motivation of my life if I stopped dieting. I am going to try to fix this. Thank you all.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Please don't try to fix this on your own. See a Dr. Get some help with this. Good luck!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You need to talk to someone that deals with eating disorders. Do not determine your health on your jean size. You can still be underweight in size 6 jeans. Stop weighing yourself & logging your food until you can get into counseling.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know that my weight sounds too low, but believe me I don't look 108 at all. I don't actually know how but size 6 skinny jeans do not fit me, so I guess there is nothing no worry.

But unfortunately I can not disagree with the mental health part. I feel like I'd lose the main motivation of my life if I stopped dieting. I am going to try to fix this. Thank you all.

a size 6 skinny jeans not fitting does not mean you arent underweight. it could be just the way you are made or they are made. you are underweight.you need to see someone and develop some healthy attitudes towards food. once you do that and get that under control then worry about transforming into maintenance after you gain some weight back so you are at a healthy weight
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    oh and I can wear some sz 6 jeans, some I have to wear an 8 and some I wear a 10. it all depends on how they are made.Im 5'6 1/2 and 166 lbs. I know for me if I were to weigh 108 I would look anorexic and sickly.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    Everyone here sees themselves unlike they truly are. Many of us the opposite of you.. we think we are thinner than what we are. Until we see that photo and realize.. "that's me?"

It is hard to hear a host of people say.. "go see a doctor"... But do trust that all these people who don't know each other..all think you are underweight. But you're not going to just say thanks I'm headed to a doctor. You have to decide that for yourself.

You can help yourself but taking steps to stop obsessing over the diet and weight. Make yourself think of other things and occupy your time with something else and set goals beyond the way you look. Maybe make the decision to not weigh yourself but once a week.. try not log a day here and there.

If you find you can't do these things.. maybe ask someone your trust to tell them what they think about your weight. Good luck. Also.. by coming here and asking the question shows you are already looking at your own behavior and wanting to change. You very well could do this on your own.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My daughter had to do a lot of counseling to deal with ED years ago, it was a though road for us, but it helped. We were taking about my weight loss and strategies i used and she told me that she would be afraid to count calories because it might trigger the ed again, with too much focus on it she would start obsessing over food and slip back. I think you need ti seek counseling because of your thoughts and actions, like punishing yourself for eating something undesirable, being so worried and afraid. That's not healthy. Get help before it's too late. Your school might be offering something too ( are you in school? ). And i think you should stop counting, try to eat reasonable portions, a little more than when you were losing, so you don't continue to lose, weight yourself once a week, so you don't obsess over fluctuations, especially if you tend to, on the days that you had junk food, tell yourself that it's ok, you can really afford that, eat dinner that is nutritious but not too high in calories, like chicken breast and a plate full of veggies. My spouse is your hight and weights 110, she has super petite frame and very slender, but muscular and low body fat , she eats well, whatever she wants including deserts and junk, although she naturally doesn't overeat. She got to 125lbs at some point and was upset about it, which drove me crazy cause she still looked great, but she wasn't comfortable with extra bulk that was getting in the way.
    So try to focus on food as a positive thing, that nurtures your body, increase intake a little to help stop losing, keep an eye on the scale to watch the trend, and you're trending down over a 4-5 week period, increase your intake, and if you're trending up, cut back a little. Make sure to give it time of at least 4-5 weeks though, so you don't react to fluctuations unnecessary. How often did you weight yourself while you were losing, op? Are you ok with daily fluctuations? Good luck.