When Working Out Becomes Boring

Options
The gym is so boring to me. When I have a workout partner, I can power through it, but recently lost mine and now it seems unbearable. Running, cardio? No problem. But the gym and lifting weights? Ugh, can't I just skip today?!

I don't want to lose motivation! I have worked out 3 weeks which is more than I ever have before, but I am feeling burnt out!

I haven't lost weight which is very unmotivating as well, but for once I have not been gaining it so I know that is a win too.

Please share some motivational quotes, motivation, pictures, tips and tricks for a fulltime working sleepy lazy person.

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have classes? Take a class so you have a group to keep up with.
    Do a video and follow along (fitnessblender.com is amazing).
    Listen to an audio book.

If you want to lose weight, look at your eating. Get more precise on your logging. Log every bite.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest switching to a different exercise that you enjoy, but it sounds like you want to lift. Have you tried to find a new workout partner? Maybe strike up a friendship with someone from the gym or try to get a friend interested? I've never been a gym member but do they have a bulletin board or something of that nature where you can post that you are looking for a lifting partner?
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym goer or a weight lifter is so I don't know how to help you with that but I will say that you don't have to do the same thing all of the time. Workouts being boring is exactly what will keep you from doing it long term. I do a lot of different workout videos that are fresh and fun. I love TurboFire from Beachbody. It's high intensity, kick boxing/dancey type with great music. I also like Insanity Max 30. Not a Beachbody coach, just someone who likes the videos. But I know that there are tons of videos and YouTube and I've heard someone mention Fitness Blender as a place that has workout videos also.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals! I love the indoor rower, so I've signed up for a race. Every single workout is targeted to reaching my goal, whether it's rowing or cross-training (running, biking, lifting, and yoga). It also is helping me eat well. I need to watch my macros so I can keep training at a high level, and lighter means faster.

Race day is next weekend. I haven't missed a single planned workout in two months and I'm down 13 lbs since I started trying to lose weight in mid-December. (Didn't lose a single pound until I started tracking my food; just working out didn't do it.) After the race, I'll set a new goal and keep on going!

If you don't like competition, think about setting some personal bests in your activity of choice, or schedule a personal fitness challenge with friends, like a long spring hike or bike ride.

• Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't love gyms either and I used to own one. The only thing that has worked for me consistently for the past five years is Jazzercise. It's never the same, the music is current, the routines change every couple of months. If you like lifting weights, they incorporate strength into every class.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Do you use a proven lifting program, like Stronglifts 5X5, or are you just doing whatever comes into your head? I found that following a program and trying to beat my previous weight made it more fun.

Plus, if you really hate it, Stronglifts is only 3X a week ;)

+1

Going by the seat of your pants when you're new to things isn't going to be effective. An established program is the way to go and you have everything laid out for you. You go in, do it, and leave.

Stronglifts takes less than an hour too, particularly at the beginning.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do you have the money for some personal training sessions? Sometimes putting down money will improve commitment.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I hear ya OP.

Don't get me wrong. I love to lift. I really do. But it has to be the right program. The one I do changes up every 4 weeks and always has a new variety of moves, usually keeps some of the basics though.. (similar to Strong Curves). Definitely do some research and find a lifting program you love OR find exercise you love, you don't have to lift weights to see progress.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    For starters, my guess (and I could be wrong) is that you're just going in and doing whatever...following an established program is important for efficient results. Without structure, most people get nowhere quickly and spin their wheels and that just makes for a crappy time.

An established program will provide you with structure..tell you when to try to increase weight, etc. Getting stronger and increasing the amount of weight you're pushing and pulling is pretty gratifying...even more gratifying is when you do something outside of the gym that you couldn't do before, but now you can because you're strong enough.

Aesthetics are pretty awesome too.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Do you use a proven lifting program, like Stronglifts 5X5, or are you just doing whatever comes into your head? I found that following a program and trying to beat my previous weight made it more fun.

Another vote for this!
    I always look forward to going in and trying to beat my previous bests, even if it's just 1 rep or 1 pound more.

If lifting at the gym really isn't something you enjoy..... don't do it. There's lots of other things you can do to stay active that you can actually look forward to instead of having to dread.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For starters, my guess (and I could be wrong) is that you're just going in and doing whatever...following an established program. Without structure, most people get nowhere quickly and spin their wheels and that just makes for a crappy time.

An established program will provide you with structure..tell you when to try to increase weight, etc. Getting stronger and increasing the amount of weight you're pushing and pulling is pretty gratifying...even more gratifying is when you do something outside of the gym that you couldn't do before, but now you can because you're strong enough.

Aesthetics are pretty awesome too.

This is so true. Do you have any programs you recommend I follow? I am just beginning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Have a look at this link...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good start...the read itself is pretty worth it for a novice female lifter. The program is pretty good, but gets a little convoluted in the end. Strong Curves is also very good. Both are more generalized fitness lifting programs and Strong Curves has an emphasis on the booty.

• jasminelace
    jasminelace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I learned I need classes or else I start feeling like you do about lifting. So I switched to Crunch and do Zumba 3-4 days a week. Can I just say LOVE IT!!! Oh and most always lose inches before weight, so if you're fitting your clothes better that is your motivator.
  • jasminelace
    jasminelace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add I still lift, but only 2 dys/wk.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The problem is I work a lot and most classes end by the time I get off and I don't want to pay for them cause I need to focus on paying off student loans in 1 year
  • cchhiipp22
    cchhiipp22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I listen to podcasts when I work out. Really helps the time pass faster. So find some good podcasts and enjoy! Or audiobooks if that's more your style.

I've tried music before, but it's not as mentally engaging for me - After the first few seconds of the song, I'm mostly bored waiting to see what the next song will be. Thankfully podcasts have more for me to concentrate on.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Another vote for this. I like New Rules of Lifting for Women--on my second round. Focusing on improving your lifts plus having a program that's not the same every day helps.

I got some wireless headphones and listen to audiobooks while I lift--mostly thrillers or mysteries, something with suspense to make me want to keep listening.

• ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    @cashidy I know how you feel with losing a workout buddy, I lost like 3 different ones in a span of a year. Been going by myself for the past 3-4 months and it definitely makes things harder.

I would write down your goals and post them around the house, remind yourself every single day. While at the gym I talk to myself all the time, mostly to remind myself why I am here, what my goals are, and how hard work is hard.

Good luck to you and stay focus!
  • chase8oliver
    chase8oliver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing any changes with your body then your diet plan is most likely the culprit. If you're able to share what you've been doing please do so!

As far as losing the desire to workout. It can definitely be a bummer if you're just starting out and lost your workout partner. Don't fret! This is a part of the journey. To tell you the truth most gym partners "leave" their partner very early on. Most of your time spent getting into shape will be completely up to you. It becomes an independent thing more often than you may think. Here are the questions you need to answer:

1) What is my weekly/monthly goal?
    2) What is the best type of workout to utilize for me to reach this goal?
    3) How many days a week should I be working out?
    4) What do I need to do to make sure I'm on a SUSTAINABLE diet plan?

If you're not seeing results just know all you need are a few tweaks to your efforts. Believe me. You will want to quit more than once. Even the fittest individuals don't always feel like working out. It's a part of the journey! Don't give up! As I tell my own clients, "Progress is never easy, but always possible!"