Will a cheat day hurt?!

Options
2»

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I cheat all weekend and work hard all week, works for me.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals Friday and Saturday evening, usually because I am out with friends. It hasn't affected my weight loss thus far. My calories deficit every week is in the order of 3600 calories and those cheat meals have me go about 200 over maintenance. +400-3600= -3200. Everything still good.

Incidentally, I'm fairly new here and was wondering if there's a way to find out our maintenance calorie intake. I happen to know mine is around 2000. My MFP weight loss intake is 1500 (at one pound a week). Those cheat meals usually put me at a calorie surplus of 2200.

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    If you eat enough calories on your "cheat day", you can wipe out the entire week's deficit.

Why not just eat the things you love and fit them into your calorie goals?

The bold bit. Friday is my cheat day and I used to eat whatever I want, then come Monday I'd spend the entire week working it off.

My suggestions is a cheat meal not a cheat day. Controlled cheating if that makes sense?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I once did Atkins for quite a long time and noticed that one small cheat would not do harm, but slip off the rails for say a weekend, and 8 pounds will jump back on you overnight, like magic!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Trilby16 wrote: »
    I once did Atkins for quite a long time and noticed that one small cheat would not do harm, but slip off the rails for say a weekend, and 8 pounds will jump back on you overnight, like magic!

It's not 8lbs of fat but rather the higher amounts of carbs causing water retention.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »

Incidentally, I'm fairly new here and was wondering if there's a way to find out our maintenance calorie intake. I happen to know mine is around 2000. My MFP weight loss intake is 1500 (at one pound a week). Those cheat meals usually put me at a calorie surplus of 2200.

I used this website https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to get a rough guide to my maintenance intake.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good for you. It won't hurt you to cheat every day as long as you keep your calorie intake low.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me personally if I have a cheat day then I am only cheating myself.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cheat day person. I feel it takes me mentally out of the game. But I'm also not one who needs a mental break from the game. If I ate "junk" food when I was losing I made it fit and any calorie overages were very, very rare. If you must "cheat" you might want to reimagine your diet (by diet I mean eating pattern.) Either way if you do it, track it. I would really try not to go above maintenance if I were you.
  • AriaLace
    AriaLace Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do a cheat meal every so often, not a full day. Today I had a breakfast roll as my cheat meal because I normally have a shake and I missed sausages! It won't effect me much and even with the cheat meal I'll still be within my calories. A full day would throw me off the wagon especially once a week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories, and simple math. If the cheat day/meal you eat on the weekend takes away from the deficit you've created during the week, then it can slow your weight loss.

Personally I'm not crazy about the concept of a cheat meal/day - I think a lot of people follow a plan that is too restrictive during the week and then feel they need a reward or a break on the weekend. I think that creates negative perceptions about diet and weight loss.

I work the foods I enjoy in on a pretty regular basis, and I also often bank calories during the week for a more indulgent weekend - but I don't call that "cheating" as it's just representative of my normal habits and lifestyle.

• MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most of us got fat by having an unhealthy relationship with food, meaning a desire to eat too much, not being able to stop snacking, comfort eating and such like.
    In order to overcome this, you have to change your relationship with food, otherwise any amount of "dieting" will eventually lead to you simply putting the weight back on.
    This means learning new eating habits and leaving the old ones behind.
    If you try to factor-in "cheat days", whatever your definition of them happens to be, you're not really learning new eating habits at all, you're simply putting all your bad eating habits in one place and re-labelling them as something acceptable providing you don't do it all that often.
    Ultimately (as has been said before), if you have cheat days you're only cheating yourself. You haven't actually committed to losing the fat at all.
    I know it sounds harsh, but this is true about weight-loss as it is about just about everything in life, if you factor-in failure in your goal, then you can be pretty sure you will fail.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your cheat day puts you into a calorie surplus equal to your weekly deficit (easy to do) then you won't lose weight.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If your cheat day puts you into a calorie surplus equal to your weekly deficit (easy to do) then you won't lose weight.

This. I've easily undone a weeks' worth of eating at a deficit in one day. It's just not worth it to me. That being said, life doesn't stop when I'm trying to lose weight. So every once in a while I will say screw it. But definitely not every week.
  • Soumiea
    Soumiea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found that cheat meals work better for me than cheat days. Cheat days were like free for all, so bad idea for me. A cheat meal once a week just meant I added 300-400 calories to my daily total, sonit wasn't a big deal. Lately, I've been working my favorite foods into my daily plan and I think this my new way of eating what I love, whenever I want. For example, I love lasagna. Yesterday, I made lasagna for dinner and calcuted the calories for the whole pan with MFP. Based on the total calories in the pan, I determined my portion size to meet my allotted dinner calories. I allowed myself a specific amount of lasagna and then filled up on a salad with a homemade lemon/vinegar/olive oil dressing. The salad allowed me to feel full and I still enjoyed my lasagna. I've actually done better this way than cheat meals/days. I now eat whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as I calculate my portion size ahead of time. Sometimes If I do go over calories because I might want just a few more bites than my allotted portion, then I'll add a little extra exercise or a 30 minute brisk walk. I no longer feel deprived doing this!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    l883 wrote: »
    If I am doing a low carb diet, with also low calories, is there going to be a big impact on my weight loss if I have a cheat day once a week?

Also any advice from people who have successfully done the low carb diet? :)

If you are in deficit 6 days and you are cutting 500 calories a day to try and lose a pound a week, you would have already been down 3000 calories from maintaining. Even if you ate 3000 extra calories past your maintenance caloric goal, you wouldn't technically gain anything for that one day.

I never cheat. I just eat and make up for it when I want.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP, if you don't have much to lose, a cheat day can unravel your hard work from that week.

I personally fit in what I desire around nutritious meals. No cheat day, no cheat meals. By doing the cheat meal method, I managed to maintain my weight instead end of lose. Moderation works best for me.
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    Let's put it this way. You eat unhealthy/high carb food 6 days a week and eat healthy/low carb food only once a week, would you lose weight? Probably not.
    You eat healthy/low carb food 6

Weight loss isn't about what you should or shouldn't eat. Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. I've lost 100lbs with moderate to high carb. Some times I am unintentionally low carb. Sometimes (a few days a month), I eat more treats. So what? Macro splits are personal and do not affect weight loss. There is some glycogen decrease on LC, though.
  • bisky4
    bisky4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal, but not a complete cheat day. I guess try to make the best decisions on what you are putting into your mouth. ie smaller sizes of high calorie foods. good luck
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need for a cheat day them low carb is probably not for you. Why go low carb if you enjoy them? Work out your macros and incorporate the foods you like it's a much more sensible way than killing six days worth of a deficit.