Lose weight without gaining muscle

Hello hi who reading this. Please add me as friend.

I run downhill 30 mins and walk uphill at least 1 hour daily. Protein intake 50g. (Harley Women Sculp)

I wanted to slim down not gaining muscle. Any advise?

Thanks

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Are you eating at a calorie deficit? That's all you need to do to lose weight.

If you don't want to gain muscle...do you want to keep what muscle you currently have? If so, consume adequate protein (.8g for every pound of bodyweight - I believe that's the standard recommendation) and add in some resistance training.

If you don't want to keep the muscle you have - eat at a deficit and let them atrophy? (I'm being facetious...I would never really advise this)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    People work very hard to gain lean muscle........eat at a surplus, a progressive lifting program, plenty of protein.

Losing weight means eating at a deficit, the opposite of eating at a surplus. Many people eat enough protein to HELP keep the muscle that they already have. You're not lifting weights.....so I'm not sure why you think gaining muscle would be a risk for you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Its very difficult to build muscle mass if in calorie deficit so don't worry about it. Walking and running is great exercise and I never see a runner with big muscles. By the way, you should start running up hills too. Somedays I plan my route to include multiple hills just to get a great workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    yeme135 wrote: »
    Hello hi who reading this. Please add me as friend.

I run downhill 30 mins and walk uphill at least 1 hour daily. Protein intake 50g. (Harley Women Sculp)

I wanted to slim down not gaining muscle. Any advise?

Thanks

You're not going to gain muscle walking and running...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Good news....you won't be building muscle. 1) you're dieting; 2) you're not doing any kind of progressive resistance program.

I was gonna say, I don't think gaining muscle is exactly going to be a problem here...if anything losing muscle is probably the biggest concern.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Why would you not want to gain muscle. Muscle makes you slimmer, maintains or increase metabolic functions, reduces the chance of injury and osteoporosis, and much more. The benefits of losing muscle.. nothing.

Gaining muscle doesn't mean looking like the hulk and the only way you would look bigger is if you gained muscle and new fat, aka bulked up. Here is an extreme example of what you can do.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Also, as your current plan stands, you have a good chance of losing muscle, which means you aren't losing fat. Fat loss is what people want. And if you are losing muscle, you body fat % reductions are slower.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Not to worry! With that eating and exercise plan you're well on the way to skinnyfat, and don't have to worry about that muscular toned look at all.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Not to worry! With that eating and exercise plan you're well on the way to skinnyfat, and don't have to worry about that muscular toned look at all.

Yep. You have nothing to worry about, OP.
  • yeme135
    yeme135 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you all