Coffee Cream Substitutes?

Options
PoeRaven
PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
Hi everyone!
I am looking for a good substitue for coffee cream. :drinker:
Here's the lowdown...
I am a bonafide java junkie. :drinker: :love:
Coffee is my number one "comfort food" and I am not going to give it up, nor am I willing to go to black. :noway:
I do not like flavored coffees, and I do not like sweet coffee. :noway:
Before my weight loss, I always used half and half...and plenty of it. I loved the creaminess it gave my coffee. :drinker:
Once I decided I was going to change and lose weight, I stopped using half and half and switched to low-fat liquid Coffeemate. Now I use Non-Fat liquid Coffeemate. :drinker:
The problem is, the lower the fat content the higher the sugar content and in this case the sugar is corn syrup. :grumble:
I would really love to find a healthy alternativewithout adding a bunch of sugar or fat. :drinker: I've tried using skim milk but it just doesn't give me the same yummy feeling...:noway:
I know all you fellow Java Junkies out there will understand...:drinker:
Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Nomarfan
    Nomarfan Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I use the sugar free coffee mate liquid creamer, but its still pretty high in calories. Good luck and let me know if you find a better solution!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The Sugar Free vanilla Coffeemate creamer is REALLY sweet and you only need 1 tablespoon per cup, which is 15 calories and no sugars.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What about starting with 2%, then 1% then down to skim? That is how I changed up my milk...your taste bugs get used to it.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 cup of almond milk. Either Vanilla or Dark Chocolatte. mmmmm love it with truvia as a sweetener
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Silk Unsweetend Almond Milk. It has a great consistency, very creamy. 1 cup = 35 calories. I think it would make a great creamer substitute.
  • NoleGirlMitch
    Options
    So Delicious Coconut Milk Non Dairy Creamer in French Vanilla is absolutely delish. Definitely creamy. :0)
  • Dcass100
    Dcass100 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why not use the powdered creamer and if you must use the sugar free flavored syrups? I find the generic powdered creamers are about 10 calories per teaspoon and 2 tsps are plenty. Good Luck
  • lilunzie
    lilunzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Land o'Lakes fat free 1/2 & 1/2 is delicious and creamy without any added sweetness. :smile:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I use dark chocolate almond milk! they make vanilla too....1.4 g of sugar, 7.5 cals in a tablespoon!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    So Delicious Coconut Milk Non Dairy Creamer in French Vanilla is absolutely delish. Definitely creamy. :0)

I love this stuff too!! Ever since I moved I cannot find a store that carries it! =(
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I use this too! My favorite!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I like Mocha Mix
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/mocha-mix-non-dairy-creamer-3448811

It is low in calories, creamy with no sweetness, and works great..

I am somewhat limited as a vegan I avoid the dairy but this has been a great fit for me.
  • aroppel
    aroppel Posts: 1
    Options
    I use "Muscle Milk Light" , I use the Chocolate in my coffee but it come in vanillia, It is sold as a protein nutrition shake but makes a great coffee creamer... I have seen in convience stores in urban areas so you can try one bottle before finding in bulk, I by in bulk at Sam's.
    :smile:
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half & half. It's still 20 calories/2g sugar per 2 tbsp, but I only need 2 tbsp for a great big mug of coffee (and yes, I measure it). Unlike almond milk (which I LOVE...in cereal) - I need to use so much to make my coffee satisfyingly creamy that it either makes my coffee too cold or it no longer tastes like coffee to me.

Oh, and fat free half & half is usually waaaaaaay less expensive than coffeemate-type creamers. Bonus.
  • mdrewes
    mdrewes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coffee sans cream? Quel HORROR! Try the Original So Delicious® Coconut Milk Creamer. It has 1g of sugar per serving with NO corn syrup in sight. Its creamy and has barely a hint of coconut flavor. I get mine at Whole Foods but here is their site in case you need to find a retailer in your area. Best of luck sticking to that diet!!
    http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_creamer_original
  • mcdanielcc
    mcdanielcc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 cup of almond milk. Either Vanilla or Dark Chocolatte. mmmmm love it with truvia as a sweetener

That's exactly what I use!!!! 1/4 cup Organic Almond Milk with 1 packet of Truvia.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Some stores carry silk soy and coconut creamers so that's always an option....

but I honestly keep using half and half - it's just part of my morning calories.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I use fat free half & half. It's still 20 calories/2g sugar per 2 tbsp, but I only need 2 tbsp for a great big mug of coffee (and yes, I measure it). Unlike almond milk (which I LOVE...in cereal) - I need to use so much to make my coffee satisfyingly creamy that it either makes my coffee too cold or it no longer tastes like coffee to me.

Oh, and fat free half & half is usually waaaaaaay less expensive than coffeemate-type creamers. Bonus.

I also switched to fat free half and half myself. I add a tsp to about 8 fl oz, but I tend to drink lighter roast coffee so it doesn't generally need as much.
  • DebinAZ
    DebinAZ Posts: 30
    Options
    This sounded good, so I looked this up online and it shows 22g of sugar. ??

Here is the link: http://silkpurealmond.com/?gclid=CKnssb7qjaoCFSI55QodwG9K0A#a=3;r=1

If you click on Products, then Dark Chocolate, then Nutritional Information, it shows the details.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Are we twins? :laugh: I am a coffee snob, if you get some GOOD coffee beans and grind them yourself it helps. My first 2-3 cups of the day I have to have cream in, the rest of the day (another 2-3 cups maybe) I can drink the good coffee black. I like the Land O Lakes Low Fat half & half, 25 cals per 2 tablespoons. The No Fat just didn't have the creaminess factor. If I can't find the low fat stuff I will grab a couple no fat and a regular half & half and mix them together, and put them back into the pouring containers.

Ok, so I am weird! I love my coffee!:drinker: