Increased Water Intake - More Dehydrated

Options
Good morning everyone!

I have recently increased my water intake to the recommended level of 8 cups (minimum) a day, but have noticed that I am showing increased signs of dehydration, such as dry, flaky skin on my face and hands, lips are dry and cracked (even after several applications of Carmex) and my scalp is dry and itcy.

Does anyone have any advice of how to combat this? I am doing my best to keep my water levels up but can't understand why it seems as though I'm drying out from it (if that makes sense). Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I don't have any answers for you, but I went through this same thing when I increased my water. My skin and lips became dry. It isn't a problem any more though. I also found once I started the habit, I needed more and more water. I drink 10-12 cups a day now and 2 months ago it was a struggle to get in 8.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty.
    All liquids count.
    Liquids in food count.
    There is no scientific reason to drink "8 cups a day".
    If your urine is light yellow to clear, you're fine.
  • crvynatrlbeauty
    crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    TMW2119 wrote: »
    Interesting. I don't have any answers for you, but I went through this same thing when I increased my water. My skin and lips became dry. It isn't a problem any more though. I also found once I started the habit, I needed more and more water. I drink 10-12 cups a day now and 2 months ago it was a struggle to get in 8.

Glad to hear that it went away for you ... I will continue my water intake and hope that is the same for myself. if I'm seeing the same issue within the next few weeks, I'll probably put a call in to my healthcare provider. Thank you!
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I up my water intake for a few weeks and then one day slack on the water my skin will go into a spiral, especially in the winter where we have the dry air and heating as mentioned above. Also watch your sodium intake as that can dry me out as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would wonder if you've also lowered the fat in your diet, are experiencing winter air, etc.

In any case, drink as much as you want so long as your urine is mostly clear.
  • sketchdoll
    sketchdoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had really dry skin lately too, but I've been contributing it to the winter air since I drink more than enough every day. I recently purchased a humidifier that's been helping. You could try that?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, might be the increased forced air heat drying your skin.
  • crvynatrlbeauty
    crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I never accounted for the winter air and indoor heat ... thanks guys!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When I was an undergrad, I had a roommate that used to really, really have the heat on high - My skin would actually flake the moment I walked in the door (and she wound up seeing the doctor for skin problems I found out, not realizing it was the dry air) - I finally got a humidifier which helped tremendously.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Skin cream and lip balm. Assuming that you eat about 2300 mg of sodium daily, the 8 cups of water is not going to cause persistent dehydration. That low humidity of winter can cause those symptoms.