Soy Milk or Fat Free Milk

Options
Which one is the healthier option for mixing protein shakes?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Neither is healthier. Which one fits in your goals?

I prefer cow milk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree, neither is healthier. Use whichever you like. I hate cow's milk so I'd go for soy.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well what's the best option to mix with my protein powder? I don't like it mixed with water.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant but hate soy so I use my daughters lactaid milk which is cows milk with the lactose protein taken out. But I also buy frozen fruits and use that and make a fruity protein shake.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The best option is the one that you prefer and meets your goals. Personally, I don't like the flavor of soy, but then I'm happy to mix my protein smoothies with water.
  • newwed412
    Options
    I don't eat meat so adding milk helps me meet my protein goal
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I switched to unsweetened almond milk...much more calorie friendly and works great (I use it in coffee not smoothies)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I don't digest soy very well (I get very gassy... :confounded: ) so I stick to cow milk.

It's a matter of what you like and what your tolerances (or intolerances) are.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I actually use almond milk.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yep depends on goals and restrictions. I am lactose intolerant... I use unsweetened almond milk in my shakes/smoothies/coffee etc.
  • newwed412
    Options
    I can't eat almonds because they hurt my stomach so I wonder if it would be safe for me to have almond milk
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I can't eat almonds because they hurt my stomach so I wonder if it would be safe for me to have almond milk

Doubtful. There are other options such as coconut milk or cashew milk as well. So many options!!! I usually put protein powder into smoothies. My fav is greek yogurt, almond milk, vanilla protein power, and strawberries.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You need to try a few different things and decide for yourself which you prefer. I love vanilla soy milk, coconut / rice milk mix, etc. But i'm also lactose intolerant.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk.

I've been told that the fat helps regulate the milk sugars.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've never used fat free milk. I flip flop between unsweetened soy milk and Vitamin D whole milk.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk.

I've been told that the fat helps regulate the milk sugars.

What kind of regulation does sugar require?

Since many people are putting some form of fat into their smoothies, even if it was true that sugar required this regulation couldn't the fat from other ingredients fill that purpose?

I'm not saying one can't use full fat milk if one prefers that, but I can't imagine it being required.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really like Fair Life milk, I get the 2%. It uses a special filtering process so that it has a little higher protein content. It sounds like that's something you're looking for. Plus, it just tastes really good.
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm also vegetarian and even though I like cows milk I can't drink a big glass of it so I mix my protein powder with soy milk and a bit of water sometimes and it is super tasty and also helps with my protein intake since that is hard to hit as a vegetarian. I usually get unsweetened soy to keep the sugar low even though vanilla would be sooo good.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    original silk soy milk has less sugar than 1% or skim cows milk.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer unsweetened soy milk. Makes my smoothies creamy and adds extra protein.