Supermarket Frustration

Replies

• mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Just had a walk around a small Sainsbury supermarket. I am on low carb and wanted something snackish for the train home. Walked up and down the aisles reading sugar and carb levels. Ended up walking out with nothing. Not good for the morale

Uck, know what you mean!! Sausage rolls, scotch eggs, sandwiches! The world is not geared towards good food on the go. :-(
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Ya gotta get a mental list of good snacks. Nuts, cheese, beef jerky, or even a mix of these things. Or if there is a deli counter swing by and get a couple of slices of cheese and a couple of slices of meat, then roll a slice each of cheese and meat together and toss in some mayo or mustard. It can be a pain in the *kitten* to find something on the fly if you aren't prepared with a list.
  • RamTodd
    RamTodd Posts: 12 Member
    Canned Tuna is my fav!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you weren't looking down the right aisles then, sainsburys do loads of stuff you could have had, one of my favourite being individual portions of peanut butter!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    The whole situation sounds crazy to me. You don't have to eat low carb to lose weight, adults shouldn't have to snack, low carb typically reduces need to snack. If you need to lose weight, not eating, and instead wait for your scheduled meal, is probably the better option. If you really need to eat more often and can't eat what you can find, bring appropriate food.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    just started low carb...I feel your pain. Jerky is every where and pork rinds have saved me. I want to lose weight but as a dm2 diabetic my blood sugar readings dropped from 200 to 164 in 3 days. Low carb is working for me
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Cooked meats, including chicken and satay sticks and Pepperami in the fridge. Snack cheeses also in the fridge.

In the health/pharmacy area you might find Atkins bars, there are certainly protein products.

Biltong/jerky/scratchings.

There are plenty of options I can come up with and I'm not even low carb.

Scratchings!?!

I love this site! seriously, am really loving new mindset towards 'bad' foods and haven't even thought about scratchings for months cos they are 'sooooooooooo bad'

and now I'm telling myself - no, they are only so bad when you eat a kilo of them in an hour!

sorry, minor hijack- but yay scratchings are back on the menu!!

Are you in the UK? Musclefood do a really good version, they're like puffed scratchings with this super tasty seasoning. I'm addicted. plus, their meat hampers are pretty good value too, win win.
  • VintageFeline
    mskimee wrote: »
    Just had a walk around a small Sainsbury supermarket. I am on low carb and wanted something snackish for the train home. Walked up and down the aisles reading sugar and carb levels. Ended up walking out with nothing. Not good for the morale

Uck, know what you mean!! Sausage rolls, scotch eggs, sandwiches! The world is not geared towards good food on the go. :-(

Didn't read the thread replies then showing how easy it is to pick up a low carb snack?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Cheese, kielbasa, bacon, avocado?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Cooked meats, including chicken and satay sticks and Pepperami in the fridge. Snack cheeses also in the fridge.

In the health/pharmacy area you might find Atkins bars, there are certainly protein products.

Biltong/jerky/scratchings.

There are plenty of options I can come up with and I'm not even low carb.

Scratchings!?!

I love this site! seriously, am really loving new mindset towards 'bad' foods and haven't even thought about scratchings for months cos they are 'sooooooooooo bad'

and now I'm telling myself - no, they are only so bad when you eat a kilo of them in an hour!

sorry, minor hijack- but yay scratchings are back on the menu!!

Are you in the UK? Musclefood do a really good version, they're like puffed scratchings with this super tasty seasoning. I'm addicted. plus, their meat hampers are pretty good value too, win win.

Yep, use musclefood alot (although the chicken quality has gone down a bit IMO). Keep meaning to try the scratchings but they look a little expensive for a snack I don't need need. But will probably give them a go soon. :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    cgstitch wrote: »
    I think you made a great choice!!! It may not have felt too good at the time, but you made a choice for health! You are better off not snacking anyway, and keeping your appetite until you can get a proper meal! Well done!

Yeah cause eating when your hungry is crazy!!!

The OP did not say they were hungry, said they wanted something. Sure, if truly hungry, get something that fits calorie and nutrient goals.

If just bored, habit, eating due to stress, etc better to skip or get water/other no calorie drink.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    edited February 2017
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I think you made a great choice!!! It may not have felt too good at the time, but you made a choice for health! You are better off not snacking anyway, and keeping your appetite until you can get a proper meal! Well done!

The OP did not say they were hungry, said they wanted something. Sure, if truly hungry, get something that fits calorie and nutrient goals.

If just bored, habit, eating due to stress, etc better to skip or get water/other no calorie drink.

We'll I didn't quote the OP but what your saying is that snacking is bad? Even healthy food
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I would have gone with jerky or cheese or nuts
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

We'll I didn't quote the OP but what your saying is that snacking is bad? Even healthy food

Nothing wrong with snacking as long as it isn't a coping mechanism for boredom, stress, etc.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Enlightened has 100 calorie packs of different flavored dried beans, they are sooo yummy if you can find them anywhere. They also have a website.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

Wouldn't Scotch eggs count as low carb? Hard boiled egg coated in sausage and deep fried? Sounds pretty low carb to me.
  • VintageFeline

Wouldn't Scotch eggs count as low carb? Hard boiled egg coated in sausage and deep fried? Sounds pretty low carb to me.

Scotch eggs are breaded.