Natural peanut butter/healthy fat question

Options
I've been eating 6 tablespoons of natural peanut butter (mixed with Stevia for taste) a day to make sure I get proper amount of recommended good fats a day (100g on my 3000 cal plan). What I've been discounting is Omega-3's and I'm about to start making sure my Omega-6/3 balance is better it. My question is two-fold:

1. Is 6 tbs too much or does it matter if I hit those macro's? Should I try to, say, half this amount and fill the rest of with Omega-3's?
2. Would taking a quality Omega-3 supplement suffice seeing as how I rarely eat fish?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've been eating 6 tablespoons of natural peanut butter (mixed with Stevia for taste) a day to make sure I get proper amount of recommended good fats a day (100g on my 3000 cal plan). What I've been discounting is Omega-3's and I'm about to start making sure my Omega-6/3 balance is better it. My question is two-fold:

1. Is 6 tbs too much or does it matter if I hit those macro's? Should I try to, say, half this amount and fill the rest of with Omega-3's?
    2. Would taking a quality Omega-3 supplement suffice seeing as how I rarely eat fish?

Well that is a crap ton of peanut butter, and probably not needed. I would rather vary my sources of fats. If you enjoy it, by all means. A good fish oil supplement would probably suffice if you eat low amounts of fish.

And if there is any macro I would pay attention to, it's protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Jesus, you do not need to eat 600 calories worth of peanut butter to hit your macros. Are you eating absolutely no fat in anything else? I personally couldn't do it.

In any case, yes, a fish oil supplement (or in my case a krill oil) is an excellent way to add omega 3's to your diet without packing on the calories.

I would go ahead and log a day on https://cronometer.com/ and see how you're doing. This will give you a better idea of how you're doing as far as fats, aminos, etc.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed is a wonderful omega 3 and super easy to include in literally any food. Especially smoothies and savory sauces. It's super cheap, being a dry staple it stores well too!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Jesus, you do not need to eat 600 calories worth of peanut butter to hit your macros. Are you eating absolutely no fat in anything else? I personally couldn't do it.

In any case, yes, a fish oil supplement (or in my case a krill oil) is an excellent way to add omega 3's to your diet without packing on the calories.

I would go ahead and log a day on https://cronometer.com/ and see how you're doing. This will give you a better idea of how you're doing as far as fats, aminos, etc.

I think I could for the first 2 days....

OP why not get some fat from another source? Full fat dairy, fatties cuts of meat, avocado...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat peanut butter because I'll eat at least that much if not more. It's hard not to lol. I've never had much of an issue reaching my fat goal.. issues staying under it yea. I say eat as much peanut butter as you can fit into your goals and macros and take a fish oil supplement. There are some really good concentrated ones in which you can get the full recommended daily amount of omega-3's in one capsule. Here's what I take:

https://www.amazon.com/Pharma-Grade-InnovixLabs-Concentrated-Burp-Free-Capsules/dp/B00F5ZV6W6/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/fish-oil

If you want a good fish oil, I would considering looking at labdoor for quality.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well that is a crap ton of peanut butter, and probably not needed. I would rather vary my sources of fats. If you enjoy it, by all means. A good fish oil supplement would probably suffice if you eat low amounts of fish.

And if there is any macro I would pay attention to, it's protein.

I could eat 6 TBS of peanut butter without even thinking about it, no stevia required. There's no way I can fit that into my calories though unfortunately.
  • scubabumm57
    scubabumm57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BBC ............................Ok.................total newbie here..................and question...Do I have to have FAT in my diet? I am on 1200 calories a day....and want to lose 15 lbs. I am walking two kilometers a day....I know it aint much but just started this on Monday ....this is all new to me..
    I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    BBC ............................Ok.................total newbie here..................and question...Do I have to have FAT in my diet? I am on 1200 calories a day....and want to lose 15 lbs. I am walking two kilometers a day....I know it aint much but just started this on Monday ....this is all new to me..
    I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You

Yes you need fat as part of a healthy diet
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I could eat 6 TBS of peanut butter without even thinking about it, no stevia required. There's no way I can fit that into my calories though unfortunately.

This! Mmmm, peanut butter.

Walnuts are also a good source of omega-3s fatty acids, as are hemp seeds, and hemp seed oil. If you are eating these, or any flax product, for the omega-3s make sure to keep them in the refrigerator and do not cook them for maximum benefit.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason for aiming for 100 grams of fat per day? Personally, I don't eat extremely high fat by nature, I opt to eat higher carbs instead. Maybe increasing protein and/or carbs is another option if you struggle to hit your fat goals.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

For that matter I'm sure I could squeeze 6 TBSP of peanut butter on a single sandwich and be happy about it. ;P