Do you track condiments, drinks, creamer, etc?

Options
So I haven't been tracking condiments, creamer, salt etc. do you guys tend to track these things? I haven't so far because I haven't had access to a food scale to get exact measurements to track with and have just been 'eye balling' things trying to do the least amount possible. Yay or nay for tracking every-single-thing that goes into our bodies?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes. Condiments, creamer, and drinks can be major sources of calories for some people. Even if you don't consume much at a time, if you have a smaller deficit or if you eat them regularly, it can add up to something significant.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Indeed. Packets of condiments can be hundreds of calories. I count/measure the half and half in my coffee every morning. Sometimes I forget to log my coffee, but I always log the half n half.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Echoing everyone else - I count all that stuff, as it's usually quite calorie dense. When I do wiff my numbers, it's usually on things like salad greens, but 3 extra grams of arugula isn't going to hurt me :p

I know not everyone can run out and buy a bunch of supplies, but I recommend measuring spoons that aren't on a ring. Mine have magnets on the handles and I keep them on the side of the fridge. Makes it very easy to measure out coffee creamer in the morning, rinse the spoon and let it dry on the fridge for the next time I need it.

I used to use the kind on a ring and was making myself nuts having to dig the whole set out of the bottom of the sink a million times a day. Maybe you keep a more tidy kitchen than me though, haha.

And of course a digital food scale. Tare is my best friend!
    (I'm a person who wants to wash as few dishes as possible)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yep. Ketchup alone is like 20 calories for 17g/1 tbsp. That's actually a very small amount of ketchup...likely most people consume 3-4 times that much in a single setting. Same goes for sauces, creamers, cooking oil, and butter. They all count. If you use 1 tbsp of oil to cook, that alone is 120 calories unaccounted for.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Everything. They add up quickly. Even little tastes of things.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't as I use them very sparingly, have a high TDEE and a big enough deficit to account for them.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I track anything with calories. I don't track diet coke as it has none but I measure and track my creamer.
  • vivakatie
    vivakatie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Echoing everyone else - I count all that stuff, as it's usually quite calorie dense. When I do wiff my numbers, it's usually on things like salad greens, but 3 extra grams of arugula isn't going to hurt me :p

I know not everyone can run out and buy a bunch of supplies, but I recommend measuring spoons that aren't on a ring. Mine have magnets on the handles and I keep them on the side of the fridge. Makes it very easy to measure out coffee creamer in the morning, rinse the spoon and let it dry on the fridge for the next time I need it.

I used to use the kind on a ring and was making myself nuts having to dig the whole set out of the bottom of the sink a million times a day. Maybe you keep a more tidy kitchen than me though, haha.

And of course a digital food scale. Tare is my best friend!
    (I'm a person who wants to wash as few dishes as possible)

I'm scared of my coffee creamer calories :( but alas, those calories definitely do add up!
    & that is a good idea of keeping your measuring spoon on the fridge! I'll bring mine to work with me to measure out my creamer and girl, I am right there with you digging that thing out of the sink every time!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like milk and sugar in my morning coffee, comes to about 50 cals. Over a week that's a meal's worth of calories I'd be eating and pretending I didn't.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale yet I would guesstimate the calories. For sure, they're more than 0 calories (which is how it seems now since you aren't logging them at all).

There are going to be other times when maybe you didn't prepare the food or you eat out at a restaurant that doesn't have nutritional information available so it's good to get in the habit and practice of guesstimating now and try to get as accurate as possible with it.