Ground turkey...some new ideas plz

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
I have a pound of ground turkey, and I'm not afraid to use it! BUT, I need something new and creative. Give me some ideas that are NOT chili, taco meat or meatloaf. I love all those things, but trying to branch out a little.

That is unless you think you have the best, most wonderful way to make chili or meatloaf, then I might entertain those ideas as well. :) Thanks!

Replies

• natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love to make mine into patties and grill them like a burger.Throw a little cajun seasoning on them or lawry's seasoning salt for my flavor or try Mrs. Dash if you don't want the salt. Very yummy. I also love ground turkey in lasagne.
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I serve the Meatballs and Sauce over the Cauliflower Rice - it is really good!

Hawaiian Meatballs in Sauce
    Meatballs
    1 lbs Lean ground turkey or chicken
    2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1 large egg
    2 tsp prepared mustard
    1 garlic clove minced
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp splenda sugar
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
    14 oz or 398 ml can of crushed pineapple with juice or just pineapple juice

Sauce
    3 tbsp chilli sauce or chilli flakes (amount to your liking)
    2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    2 tbsp brown sugar splenda
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup water

Meatballs: combine first 9 ingredients with 1/4 cup undrained pineapple until mixed well and evenly moist. Reserve remaining pineapple and juice. From chicken or turkey mixture into forty 1 inch balls. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes until no longer pink. Makes 40 meatballs

Sauce: Combine chilli, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, water and remaining pineapple with juice in small saucepan. Heat and stir on medium until boiling and slightly thickened. Combine with meatballs. Makes 1 1/3 cup sauce.

Nutrition Info: 1 meatball with 1/2 tbsp of sauce
    34 calories, 0.4 Total Fat, 12 mg Cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 3 g protein, 4g carbohydrate

Cauliflower Rice with Fried Onions
    1 T olive oil
    1 small onion, diced small
    1/2 large head cauliflower, chopped in food processor or grated by hand so the texture resembles rice
    pepper for taste

Heat olive oil in small but heavy frying pan, add onion, turn heat to medium and let onions cook, prepare cauliflower

Cut cauliflower in half, remove leaves and most of the core from the half your using. cut into slices 1/2 inch thick put in food processor gently pulse.

onions are brown (8-10 minutes) add cauliflower season with pepper turn heat to medium high. Cook turning often until lightly brown (4-5 minutes)
  • rmdemattia
    rmdemattia Posts: 26
    Options
    I like to make stuffed green peppers and instead of use ground beef, use ground turkey.
  • joytopp
    joytopp Posts: 5
    Options
    What about turkey burgers? I do ground turkey (spices) chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped red pepper and garlic. Mix it all together and I add a little hot sauce to make it spicy! Make on the grill with lettuce and tomato and a slice of avacado! Yummy
    I add the veggies in to "beef" it up a little so I am not packing too much turkey into one burger. Also you can use only half a roll with it.... :)
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you like sloppy joes? I have a great recipe for that.

It's a weight watchers one...let me go see if I can find the book brb
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also do turkey burgers where I mix in chopped jalapenos, onion, red pepper and cook. Really tasty!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti or Lasagna... I also do the burgers and tacos.

Also, I know the helper is processed and all but I've used it in Whole Grain Hamburger helper before.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    wow Jade, loving the meatball idea. I made some a while back but they were just plain boring ones!

I'm liking everything already....and now I'm hungry. ;)

Thanks, and keep'em coming!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    lettuce wraps, sloppy joes, sweedish meatballs, etc. Look up some recipes on here and other places for some new ideas. :)
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How about Asian Lettuce Wraps? I tried this recipe I got from Whole Foods & it was good! I too wanted something different to do with my ground turkey. To reduce some sodium you can use less sauce.

1 tablespoon olive, peanut or sesame oil
    1 pound ground turkey or chicken
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
    2/3 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    Vegetables for filling: grated carrots, mung bean sprouts, sliced Radish, julienned cucumber
    Boston lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
    Hoisin Sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet and brown ground turkey. Add garlic and ginger and saute briefly. Add teriyaki sauce and simmer for 10 minutes while preparing vegetables. Place filling and vegetables in center of a large platter, then surround with lettuce leaves. Serve with Hoisin sauce for dipping. Each person can wrap leaf with their choice of fillings, then dip in the sweet and spicy Hoisin sauce. Serves 4.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Okay....I know you said no meatloaf recipes BUT even kids love these....

Mini BBQ Meatloafs

Mix ground turkey with bbq sauce and cracker or breadcrumbs....shape into balls

Spray muffin tin with Pam or Canola oil spray and put a ball into each muffin tin hole.....top with shredded cheddar

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-60min depending on your oven....just keep checking it! Yum!

Also your could use in place of beef to make Burger Bundles.....just shape meat into logs and brown them....
    put in crockpot with cream of mushroom soup....very good with mashed potatoes!!
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok- this was 8 points per serving with the old way and it serves 4

Southwestern Sloppy Joes

1 tbsp canola oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 jalpeno, seeded and chopped
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    3/4 lb lean turkey breast
    1 7-ounce can mexican style corn
    1 1/2 cups mild chunky salsa
    1 tbsp dark brown sugar packed
    4 hamburger rolls

heat the skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil and add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring until soft- about 4 minutes. Add the chili powder and oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add the turkey and corn and cook until mixture is nearly dry about 4 minutes. Stir in the salsa and brown sugar and cook stirring until thick and the turkey is cooked about 4-5 minutes. Serve on the rolls.

ENJOY!! I hope you like it.
  • AshCain
    AshCain Posts: 13
    Options
    Turkey burger! Add onion and garlic to the meat. Top with a low fat slice of chese, some avacado and even salsa!
  • brianna_bananas
    Options
    anything you can do with ground beef you can do with ground turkey, its just the healthier option.. but my mom just cooks it with seasoning any kind you like and we put over shredded lettuce and eat that for lunch.. its really good and isnt heavy which is why its good for lunch cause you dont feel tired after..
  • johcum43
    johcum43 Posts: 4
    Options
    You can make small to medium meatballs with the ground turkey and use in dishes such as the following:
    - brown the turkey meatballs in olive oil in a frying pan. When brown add rinsed and drained sauerkraut, 2-3 cups to 1 lb of turkey (sprinkle with caraway seed, cover and steam for 20-30 minutes). You can add chopped garlic and onion to the browning turkey.
    - make curried turkey meatballs and serve over quinoa or brown rice (you can make your own curry with cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger, paprika and chili pepper powder - leave out the chili pepper powder if you want a "sweet" curry). You can add plain yogurt to the curry sauce just before serving (stirring in gently); if refrigerating before serving leave out the yogurt until you heat the sauce before serving. Many curried lamb recipes give you the proportions for the spices, although about 1/2 tsp each is fine, except 2 tsps for the coriander (ground seed).
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use mine to make turkey burgers. They are delicious! Other than that, we usually do tacos with it.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers: mix in some fresh chopped cilantro and fresh chopped garlic (I love these and am not a big cilantro fan)
    Lasagna: Use the ground turkey in place of beef/sausage. Replace some of the noodles with zucchini ribbons.
  • rishonb
    rishonb Posts: 232
    Options
    i don't have an idea for you as to what you can do with ground turkey but i really like your comment about anything you can do with ground beef u can do with ground turkey .. that is so true.
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I just brown a pound of turkey... throw in some chili powder, 1 can of whole kernel corn and 1 can of unsalted diced tomatoes... its so simple but for some reason I love this turkey tex mex dish. Then I eat it on a tostada.. yum!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Okay....I know you said no meatloaf recipes BUT even kids love these....

Mini BBQ Meatloafs

Mix ground turkey with bbq sauce and cracker or breadcrumbs....shape into balls

Spray muffin tin with Pam or Canola oil spray and put a ball into each muffin tin hole.....top with shredded cheddar

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-60min depending on your oven....just keep checking it! Yum!

Also your could use in place of beef to make Burger Bundles.....just shape meat into logs and brown them....
    put in crockpot with cream of mushroom soup....very good with mashed potatoes!!

Oooooooh, I like both of those! Seems simple, but never thought to put that together! Yay!!!!