Low mood from dieting

Options
I've noticed that every time I lose weight my mood is affected. Does anyone else experience this? I'm not a special duet but avoid sugar and white carbohydrates

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should include carbs. Cutting them is entirely unnecessary. All that's required for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have you paid attention to how many calories you are consuming? If you are consuming too little, your mood drop could be related to your body needing more than it is getting.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It's been said that low carb diets can lead to mood swings in some people.
  • duniaamen
    duniaamen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you All. I do eat brown carbohydrates like brown bread and brown rice. I haven't been calorie counting but have focussed on eating when hungry and stopping when full
  • duniaamen
    Options
    I've lost 1 stone 4 pounds so far and have another 3 stones at least to go
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    duniaamen wrote: »
    Thank you All. I do eat brown carbohydrates like brown bread and brown rice. I haven't been calorie counting but have focussed on eating when hungry and stopping when full

That's how I always thought it should be, as well. Not long ago, I posted a question to those who are naturally slim. One said the most stunning thing I'd ever heard and had never considered.

"I eat until I'm not hungry anymore, not until I'm full." Who'd have thunk it?? Just throwing that out there for consideration since you're using that 'full' as your guideline on when to stop eating. :smiley: Best of luck!!
  • duniaamen
    Options
    Isn't it the same thing?
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Isn't it the same thing?

No, it's really not. You know that really "stuffed" feeling you get after eating a holiday dinner or a big meal at a buffet? That's eating until you're full (to me, anyway). Eating until you're not hungry anymore means eating less than that.

If you're used to eating until you're full, it may take some time for you to understand what eating until you're no longer hungry actually feels like. I was fortunate in that I grew up in a household where my parents didn't force me to "clean my plate" at dinner. When I wasn't hungry anymore, I just stopped. The difference is subtle at times, but there's definitely a difference.
  • duniaamen
    Options
    As you define it, I would say that I eat until I'm no longer hungry.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    As you define it, I would say that I eat until I'm no longer hungry.

That's great to hear. For some, learning the difference is half the battle.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

This could very well be too few calories for you. If I cut below 1400 I definitely have low energy and poor mood the next day. Doesn't seem to impact me day of which is why I keep managing to do it. I just forget sometimes how active I truly am in my work as a nanny for infant twins so maybe when you are ready you should count the calories and be sure it's a good amount. Losing faster isn't better and you're going to feel better during the process if you don't cut too many.
  • duniaamen
    Options
    Thank you! Definitely taking things slowly but will have another look at what I'm eating
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that every time I lose weight my mood is affected. Does anyone else experience this? I'm not a special duet but avoid sugar and white carbohydrates

I'm convinced it's hormone changes. Recent rounds of research are starting to believe that fat should be considered an "organ" because of the adverse effects it has on hormones and hormone receptors. So if you feel a little nutty as the scale is dipping and changing, you're probably not imagining things. Of course we still need to keep our chin up though :)