Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• plhartless
    plhartless Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Back to the thread, I think that both of these are problematic diet myths:
    1-You must exercise a lot to lose weight. (Yes, you should exercise for your health, and it is easier with exercise, but for weight loss, CICO no matter how you do it...)
    AND its converse, which has been making the rounds in clickbait articles:
    2-Exercise doesn't help you to lose weight. (Well, sure, if you run a mile and then eat a family sized bag of Doritos. But again, CICO!--much easier to get a deficit with exercise, and it has appetite-suppressant effects to a point as well.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Haven't heard it in a while, but I always like:

Humans aren't meant to eat meat. And that milk makes you fat because milk is for baby cows and baby cows get big.

Ah, yes. That Skinny *kitten* book. Someone at work lent it to me to read. So much eye-rolling as I read that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Humans aren't meant to eat meat. And that milk makes you fat because milk is for baby cows and baby cows get big.

Ah, yes. That Skinny *kitten* book. Someone at work lent it to me to read. So much eye-rolling as I read that.

I also liked their assertion that coffee would destroy your organs because of acidity.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I also liked their assertion that coffee would destroy your organs because of acidity.

I'm doing my part to dissolve my organs right now.

Thanks, Dunkin' Donuts Hazelnut K-Cups!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Oh man, I remember that book. It was like an espresso of stupidity, so much concentrated woo.

They spent pages railing against sugar and processed food and when you looked at their product recommendations in the back of the book, it was just organic and "natural" versions of . . . sweet processed food. Like substituting Newman-Os for Oreos.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Almost exactly like following common sense, long-term weight/fitness control techniques instead of running from Cabbage Soup Diet to ACV Diet to whatever the woo of the day is.
    Got asked the other day if I was eating cabbage soup. "Oh God now" I quickly replied to a religious person. Ooops.

Anyway, it was an awesome wicked thai soup I had made.

"Dear Lord in Heaven, preserve us" may have been more appropriate. Or "Satan, begone!"

I spent the weekend arguing diet woo with my beloved brother and his wife. Coincidentally, I am also now the proud owner of a Himalayan pink salt lamp and an essential oil diffuser since it was our (very late) Christmas get-together. :) So now my air is cleansed of its (bad) positive ions and diffused with the disease-preventing power of Thieve's Oil. Yay!

Positive... ion... i.e. proton... i.e. in the nucleus of all atoms (matter)... which must also have neutrons and electrons else it may become unstable... ... I just... science... but...
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Me, too! Coconut Mocha Donut Shop K-Cups, here!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Those are my favorite. :love:
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I heart this thread.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Those are my favorite. :love:

Have you tried the Green Mountain brown sugar crumble donut?!? YUM!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    NoxDineen wrote: »
    That early hominids ate like the paleo diet claims they did.

Which Paleo diet? Even the various authors of the various aspects can't agree on what qualities as "paleo".
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fat makes you fat. Fat does NOT make you fat! Look at eating paleo/primal low carb diet..... :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sumrdream wrote: »
    Fat makes you fat. Fat does NOT make you fat! Look at eating paleo/primal low carb diet..... :)

Paleo and Primal aren't necessarily low carb... there are variants like that, but they didn't really start out that way. And I can guarantee you, that I can easily gain on those diets.. But I do agree that fat doesn't make you fat... calories do.
This discussion has been closed.