Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »
    That you can gain muscle while losing fat

Actually you can, I've done that several times, check one of my tests lift data still in my profile over 5 weeks. Its just hard to do, and if you have low body fat to start with, its even much more difficult, lower bodyfat people will tell you its impossible, which, it may be darned close to impossible at their bodyfat level.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »
    That you can gain muscle while losing fat

Actually you can, I've done that several times, check one of my tests lift data still in my profile over 5 weeks. Its just hard to do, and if you have low body fat to start with, its even much more difficult, lower bodyfat people will tell you its impossible, which, it may be darned close to impossible at their bodyfat level.

One of the best threads on the boards:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

There are several of us doing this with good success. It is a bit different for those who are looking for something different than the cutting/bulking cycle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Eating healthy is the only way to lose weight.
    Gluten free foods doing anything at all unless you have celiac disease.

Food intolerance does exist. I've seen my wife doubled over in pain from gluten, and she is not celiac. I've also seen the same for her for potatoes, beans, milk and quite a few other things.

That's one thing. There's a big myth that gluten makes people fat and that eating gluten free aids in weight loss though.

Unfortunately, the diet industry and books like wheat belly screwed it for people who actually have issues. Because it gets over shadowed with BS.

No No no no no.

It's the best thing that happened for my wife. She has lots of options now where if the fad didn't happen, there would be a lot less choices for her.

I see I was beaten to this comment.

In some ways the GF fad is good but in others its a hindrance. People know more about what is GF (no, the whole wheat bread is not GF because it is whole wheat ;) LOL) but there are so many people who are doing a half-assed version of GF that it isn't taken that seriously anymore. KWIM? I had so many instances of well meaning friends telling me tales of the "glutenous" food one of their GF friends ate because it was a treat or it wasn't a lot. That part isn't helpful to celiacs...

On the other hand, many gluten sensitive people do feel better just keeping their gluten intake low so I guess it does help.

I just wish people who are not GF would stop saying they eat gluten free. No. You don't. You eat gluten-lite.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Food intolerance does exist. I've seen my wife doubled over in pain from gluten, and she is not celiac. I've also seen the same for her for potatoes, beans, milk and quite a few other things.

That's one thing. There's a big myth that gluten makes people fat and that eating gluten free aids in weight loss though.

Unfortunately, the diet industry and books like wheat belly screwed it for people who actually have issues. Because it gets over shadowed with BS.

No No no no no.

It's the best thing that happened for my wife. She has lots of options now where if the fad didn't happen, there would be a lot less choices for her.

In some ways the GF fad is good but in others its a hindrance. People know more about what is GF (no, the whole wheat bread is not GF because it is whole wheat ;) LOL) but there are so many people who are doing a half-assed version of GF that it isn't taken that seriously anymore. KWIM? I had so many instances of well meaning friends telling me tales of the "glutenous" food one of their GF friends ate because it was a treat or it wasn't a lot. That part isn't helpful to celiacs...

On the other hand, many gluten sensitive people do feel better just keeping their gluten intake low so I guess it does help.

I just wish people who are not GF would stop saying they eat gluten free. No. You don't. You eat gluten-lite.

A friend of mine actually stopped eating GF-treats made by others because more often than not, they were NOT fully GF. She also avoids gluten-free store-bought treats for the same reason. She spent far too much time at the ER to want to continue risking her health and people just don't seem to get it. Celiacs in her case means absolutely no gluten and not lifestyle-GF where a bit of gluten never hurt anyone...
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    SRAM is just as good as Shimano. :disappointed:

HAHHAHAH
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

No No no no no.

The whole thing just reminds me of the South Park episode Gluten Free Ebola. Watching that, after having been an MFP member for years was a beautiful experience.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    becca5446 wrote: »
    The radio keeps playing an advertisement for some product that says it will give you a flat stomach because the reason you don't have a flat stomach is because there is rotting food in your digestive tract that builds up over the years and this product will rid you of the rotting food bloating your stomach. lol Six pack abs! Just take this snake oil pill!

OMG - what is rather frightening is that there are those who will believe that!
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options

No No no no no.

I have a Celaic friend who is in a love/hate relationship with the GF fads. On one hand, it means the local shops stock more GF options that she can buy, on the other hand they whack the prices as high as they can because they know the "trendy" dieters will pay €€€ for their "trendy" food.

She also lols at the GF label on EVERYTHING that contains no gluten. Gluten Free Eggs, anyone??
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That all calories are equal.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    auticus wrote: »
    That all calories are equal.

They are. It's the macronutrient composition that has different metabolic effects. And foods have different nutrient composition.

Don't you go getting yourself in trouble here sunshine :D ..hello btw
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Currently the one annoying me the most is I have friends doing the Whole 30 this month and one of them is swearing that she is going to drop like 20 pounds this month doing it. Umm...considering that you are still eating a lot of calories just a different kind, I kind of doubt it.

This is the same friend that loves to tell me that I'm going to get sick from drinking diet soda because aspartame is evil, sugar is evil, did the ItWorks junk, basically every trendy myth out there. *shakes head*
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    becca5446 wrote: »
    The radio keeps playing an advertisement for some product that says it will give you a flat stomach because the reason you don't have a flat stomach is because there is rotting food in your digestive tract that builds up over the years and this product will rid you of the rotting food bloating your stomach. lol Six pack abs! Just take this snake oil pill!

Ugh. I hear that one on WFAN almost every day. Well, I hear the beginning of it. I either change the station or turn off the radio at that point. There's usually a choice word or three uttered, too.
This discussion has been closed.