Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

1222324252628»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

DAAAAAANGIT, I was just coming i here to post the link! Beat me to it. >:(
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Dang you both.

My thread I should be the one to post that link

Sulks in corner pouting
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Wow that must be one heckuva thread, because I don't have permission to view it.

*sulks at being left out*
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    Wow that must be one heckuva thread, because I don't have permission to view it.

*sulks at being left out*

I think the OP requested that it be taken down. She wasn't very happy with the responses she got.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    I think I have a vague recollection of that one now that I think about it....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    That MFP forum Groupthink consensus is reliable.
  • stanmann571

That not relying on peer reviewed science is an acceptable form of debate.

I notice all the peer reviewed science presented in support of your support of groupthink.
  • carol11158
    carol11158 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone - I'm new here.. I have to say that Keto (LCHF) is a huge myth. I was on it for 2 years only lost 35 pounds while everyone else was losing tons of weight. I switched over to a more calorie-in, calorie-out mode and I'm doing ok. Also, that artificial sweeteners make you hungrier...such bull. I have heard the starvation mode myth but why is it a myth?? Doesn't your body hold on to fat if you aren't eating enough?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2017
    carol11158 wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I'm new here.. I have to say that Keto (LCHF) is a huge myth. I was on it for 2 years only lost 35 pounds while everyone else was losing tons of weight. I switched over to a more calorie-in, calorie-out mode and I'm doing ok. Also, that artificial sweeteners make you hungrier...such bulls. I have heard the starvation mode myth but why is it a myth?? Doesn't your body hold on to fat if you aren't eating enough?

Don't know enough about KETO to knock it. Calorie counting is what I do and it is working for me (except for this week, dammit). Artificial sweetners may impact some people and make them hungrier, but in general there is nothing scary about them.

Starvation mode is a myth. If you undereat, you lose weight. Your body won't hold on to fat, but it may start burning more muscle as well. There is a risk of lowering your metabolic rate from undereating so you can get by on less calories, but you will still lose weight.

Read here http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Hi everyone - I'm new here.. I have to say that Keto (LCHF) is a huge myth. I was on it for 2 years only lost 35 pounds while everyone else was losing tons of weight. I switched over to a more calorie-in, calorie-out mode and I'm doing ok. Also, that artificial sweeteners make you hungrier...such bull. I have heard the starvation mode myth but why is it a myth?? Doesn't your body hold on to fat if you aren't eating enough?

Keto is not a myth. It's a style of eating. And it did work for you, but unfortunately, it didn't allow you to cut calories enough to help address energy balance to keep helping you lose weight. I suspect that when you followed it, you didn't use calorie counting as well?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

I notice all the peer reviewed science presented in support of your support of groupthink.

Much science has been posted many times and many places. What would you like?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2017

Tacklewasher already posted one good link, here's another one which is a great, very detailed read on "starvation mode" and "metabolic damage": http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

Besides science, think of it from a common sense point of view: Think of anorexics, who starve themselves. Think of people in third world countries where food scarcity/starvation is an everyday thing. You don't see many fat people in those situations. If "starvation mode" (at least as it's thrown about in the dieting world) was an actual thing, all those people should be incapable of losing weight rather than wasting away to nothing.

[ETA:] As far as keto goes, it's not a myth. What is a myth is the belief espoused by some ketophiles that there is some metabolic advantage to it and that you don't have to count calories to lose weight on it. Keto is just like any other way of eating - CICO still matters. There's nothing magical about it that cancels out the calories.

CICO isn't a "diet" or a "way of eating". It's the law of energy balance, simple as that. No diet negates or supersedes keto. It's as silly as thinking you can somehow circumvent gravity and not fall to the ground when you jump out of a tree. Gravity is a law of physics; so is energy balance.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

Feel free to present your own peer reviewed evidence to the contrary.
  • stanmann571
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Tacklewasher already posted one good link, here's another one which is a great, very detailed read on "starvation mode" and "metabolic damage": http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

Besides science, think of it from a common sense point of view: Think of anorexics, who starve themselves. Think of people in third world countries where food scarcity/starvation is an everyday thing. You don't see many fat people in those situations. If "starvation mode" (at least as it's thrown about in the dieting world) was an actual thing, all those people should be incapable of losing weight rather than wasting away to nothing.

[ETA:] As far as keto goes, it's not a myth. What is a myth is the belief espoused by some ketophiles that there is some metabolic advantage to it and that you don't have to count calories to lose weight on it. Keto is just like any other way of eating - CICO still matters. There's nothing magical about it that cancels out the calories.

CICO isn't a "diet" or a "way of eating". It's the law of energy balance, simple as that. No diet negates or supersedes keto. It's as silly as thinking you can somehow circumvent gravity and not fall to the ground when you jump out of a tree. Gravity is a law of physics; so is energy balance.

Just FYI, that's a blog. Not a scientific journal
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Just FYI, that's a blog. Not a scientific journal

You could benefit quite a bit from doing some reading on that blog- one of the most respected voices in nutrition and physiology out there.
This discussion has been closed.