Do you compensate calories you burn in exercise?

Options
Say you're sticking to a calorie deficit. If you burn an extra 200, will you eat an extra 200, even if you ate your allotment otherwise? Not sure what the best practice is there. Thanks!

Replies

• JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat half back. That's the general consensus.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    JaiDessaT wrote: »
    Eat half back. That's the general consensus.

Oh my gosh a great rule of thumb. Thank you!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep mine as a cushion in case my estimations were off when I was out and had no access to a scale. (Also, my scale is old and occasionally gives me a different weight for the same item if I take it off and put it back on. Not a big deal if I'm weighing green beans. Pasta, on the other hand?) So far, I'm not hungry.

I should point out that my exercise is coming from long leisurely walks when I have errands to run and, on days when I can't get out, 30 minutes on a ski machine. I'm exercising more than I was before MFP, but it's definitely not marathon training.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat back a portion, usually not all. I'm always concerned that my estimated burn is too high.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't because I never do cardio, and if I do it's not intense...and it probably just compensates for any lazy day I have. No really, I don't do "exercise".
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I eat back 50-100% depending on how intense the work out was and how hungry I am. MFP is designed with the expectation you eat them back. It often over estimates the burn amount though which is why most people only eat back about half.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back - but use my FitBit's numbers not the MFP database ones.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating any back because I'm mostly weight training and I don't trust mfp numbers on calorie burn- probably any inaccuracies in my logging will balance out exercise cal (I'm loosing slowly so figure it's ok)
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't eat exercise. Your workouts improve your deficit thus getting you to your goals faster.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Depends what you've done. MFP certainly offeres the top-end figures for any exercises I've ever looked up so I would never eat them all back. I log less than MFP suggests and eat back some of them. Never all, simply to account for any inaccuracies in the food tracking too.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I eat probably between 50-75% back, because I am not too sure how accurate the tracker I am currently using is. I am still losing week in, week out. Hoping to have more accurate readings when I get my new Garmin watch.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    save it for wine.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I use most of them - generally for wine - or save a bit up for the weekend/going out. I find eating them is a great incentive to exercise - I know people say "you shouldn't exercise just to eat" but I figure its better than not exercising at all!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don't eat exercise. Your workouts improve your deficit thus getting you to your goals faster.

And exceeding your deficit goals is always good because?
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Even a little nuanced the general consensus is clear. (: Really I asked because after meal prepping I didn't want to go to the trouble of cooking an extra meal after workouts... Gotta get my laziness in somewhere, haha. Thank you again!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This is ridiculous blanket advice. A bigger deficit isn't always better. If someone has a large deficit or is doing serious exercise, eating back at least a portion of exercise calories is key for meeting nutritional needs, avoiding hunger, maintaining energy, and avoiding unnecessary muscle loss.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I havent been. But I havent felt hungry enough since adding more protein. I just hope it means faster weight loss..
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Please watch the video linked in this thread. MFP is a bit unique in it's caloric estimation tools it uses to give intake recommendations.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

This is ridiculous blanket advice. A bigger deficit isn't always better. If someone has a large deficit or is doing serious exercise, eating back at least a portion of exercise calories is key for meeting nutritional needs, avoiding hunger, maintaining energy, and avoiding unnecessary muscle loss.

Exactly. Some of us frequently burn more than a thousand calories while exercising. That rate alone would result in two pounds lost per week and if there were added on top of a deficit it could be four pounds. Some people are even more active. If you deplete your glycogen while exercising and don't replace it you could fall into a coma or even die. If you put in more than 90 minutes of exercise you need to have a plan for fueling your workout. If you're putting in two hours and aren't eating, you're putting yourself in danger.