I don't know where I'm going wrong - Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    bisky4 wrote: »
    you should be eating at least 1400 calories especially if your are walking that much a week. Use IIFYM calculator and it will tell you how much to eat EVERY day. I am not a personal trainer but I truly believe you are starving yourself and thats exactly what your body is doing.

no. The answer to not losing weight is NEVER eat more. Like ...no...

That comment wasn't a suggestion to get the weight to drop; it was a comment for overall health (I think). Frankly, as a teenager who isn't very very short, the OP shouldn't be below 1500 cals/day IMO. And if she were accurately tracking that 1500 cal, she'd still lose weight (NOT because she raised the calories, but because she'd still be in a deficit).

And, actually, sometimes the answer to a plateau *is* to eat more - but just for a day or two. It's very common for a short "diet break" to lower cortisol levels, leading your body to release some water weight. Nothing metabolism-related. Just hormonal.

Speaking of hormones, my first theory on the OP's situation is exactly that. Is TOM approaching? If so, don't worry about it until a few days after it's passed. If not, my second theory is that something is being miscounted and she should start using the app properly.

Nah they keep posting on threads saying youl starve to death and need whatever exact nutrients to lose weight, Was definatly meant as a "starvation mode" comment
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time for a diet break? Take your calories back to maintenance for a couple of weeks and let your body adjust to them. Then create a deficit again.
  • SazFour
    SazFour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest doing this.
    Honestly curious, though...how do you track if not on MFP? Do you write it all down somewhere? Do you keep a running tally each day in your head?[/quote]

Notes on my phone! I never eyeball things and I do go above target but it's not by much 50-100 calories once or twice a week and the occasional birthday or event every 3 months or so
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Op being 18... are you still 5ft 6" ? Worth a check :smile:

Yes I've been the same since I was 16
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    bisky4 wrote: »
    you should be eating at least 1400 calories especially if your are walking that much a week. Use IIFYM calculator and it will tell you how much to eat EVERY day. I am not a personal trainer but I truly believe you are starving yourself and thats exactly what your body is doing.

no. The answer to not losing weight is NEVER eat more. Like ...no...

That comment wasn't a suggestion to get the weight to drop; it was a comment for overall health (I think). Frankly, as a teenager who isn't very very short, the OP shouldn't be below 1500 cals/day IMO. And if she were accurately tracking that 1500 cal, she'd still lose weight (NOT because she raised the calories, but because she'd still be in a deficit).

And, actually, sometimes the answer to a plateau *is* to eat more - but just for a day or two. It's very common for a short "diet break" to lower cortisol levels, leading your body to release some water weight. Nothing metabolism-related. Just hormonal.

Speaking of hormones, my first theory on the OP's situation is exactly that. <b> Is TOM approaching? </b> If so, don't worry about it until a few days after it's passed. If not, my second theory is that something is being miscounted and she should start using the app properly.

Actually it is but it has never had a noticeable effect on the scales so I didn't think about that. I've been really meticulous with counting especially in the last two weeks but I'll try to spot anything I might be counting wrong
  • SazFour
    SazFour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    SazFour wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you would be willing to open your diary we might be able to see something with fresh eyes that you aren't seeing, but I know not everyone is comfortable with that. Perhaps check the entries you are using, many are user entered and incorrect.

You are at the high end of the healthy weight range, so you will probably lose weight slowly, but still should be losing. If you are eating 1200 cals, weighing all your food, using correct entries, and you exercise, you should be losing weight. I'd second getting bloodwork if opening your diary isn't an option.

I don't exactly use my diary. (I have maybe 3 days in there?) If I do I just select something with the same calories that I calculated from using my scales and the info on the packet or for fruit and veg etc I google the calories which I know by heart at this point. Sometimes I click 1cup of something because the calories are the same but I measure in grams. Since I've been tracking for so long without mfp I'm still getting used to remembering to enter it on the app

Before anything, I would track using your diary here and choose correct entries for the food you're eating. See how that goes for a few weeks. Then if you still see no change, move forward with testing or new options.

This is the advice to follow. You really need to be using your food diary to be accurate about your intake. What you are looking up and what you think you're eating can be far off the mark. Unless you have a rare medical condition, with your stats you should have no issue dropping weight eating 1200 calories. Also, you said you've been eating 1200 calories a day for a year? Something isn't right.

It was probably a very bad choice was I was 200lb but yeah I started with that last year after a few weeks thinking it was the best way to lose fast just because the internet said so. From reading things on here I'm sure I was very wrong