Fitbit question

Options
Has anyone noticed you don't get as many calories burnt with the Fitbit?
Back in September if I walked 5 miles I would get an average 200 calories now walking 5 miles I'm lucky to get 100 calories?? And I've not lost any weight

Replies

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make any sense. Even if you were an Olympic marathon runner, you would burn A LOT more than 200 calories from walking five miles. Can you be more specific? Total of five miles in a day? Walking on a treadmill? Elliptical? What type of fitbit? Heart rate? etc.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Need more info.

Do you mean the calories Fitbit actually shows you burned for that walk? Or are you talking about the Fitbit calorie adjustment in MFP? If its the adjustment, keep in mind that will change if you change your activity level in MFP. Or if you've logged exercise. Or a number of other reasons depending on the data that Fitbit is showing for you for the day.
    Has anyone noticed you don't get as many calories burnt with the Fitbit?
    Back in September if I walked 5 miles I would get an average 200 calories now walking 5 miles I'm lucky to get 100 calories?? And I've not lost any weight

• suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet a lot at work I walk to and from work and on average walk 14k steps a day which is about 5+ miles a day the adjustment from Fitbit to mfp used to be an average 200+ calories a day now I'm lucky to get 100
    Hope I've explained it better x
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight. I have lost almost 50 lbs and I don't get as large a fitbit/MFP calories added as I used to. Takes less energy to move this smaller body.

Also if you don't have MFP set to sedentary you will get a smaller fitbit/MFP adjustment.

I walk about 4-5 miles per day (not in one time, but my all day total) and with MFP at sedentary I get about 180-225 calories added to my MFP total.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The adjustment is not just based on your steps.

When you give MFP an activity level, it estimates how much you will burn in a day. Fitbit tracks your calorie burn all day based on actual movement. When they sync, you get an adjustment (additional calories) if your actual burn according to Fitbit is more than what MFP expected.

My translation based on what you've said: if your activity level on your job has not changed, and you're getting less adjustment now, its because you're burning less total per day now. That could be because you're moving less in your off-the-job time, or if you've lost weight, that would explain it. A smaller body burns fewer calories than a larger body.

If you want more calories earned, move more.
    I'm on my feet a lot at work I walk to and from work and on average walk 14k steps a day which is about 5+ miles a day the adjustment from Fitbit to mfp used to be an average 200+ calories a day now I'm lucky to get 100
    Hope I've explained it better x

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What activity level have you chosen on MFP? Have you changed it since getting your FitBit?