What would you do??

Options
I have 3 days off work at end of feb. As o like to prepare foods etc in advance. That weekend maybe a bit tricky
My boyfriend likes to go away at a moments notice which is great.
So with refernce to my daily calorie allowance for that weekend do i......
1. Eat what i want . If over on calories so be it?.
2. Stay at my daily allowance?
3. Work out maintance and either allow myself to eat up to that or split difference between what i wld eat to lose weight and my maintance? (If that makes sense).

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on a weekly basis "save calories" for the weekend. So if you eat at 1500/day, you could for the week eat 1300 and then those 800 you have left could be used on the weekend to help stay at a deficit. Or you could, as you said, decide on maintenance, and for 3 days eat that. If you were in a deficit the rest of the week, you can still see a loss with eating maintenance for 3 days, if just wont be as big.

I think its what ever works for your goals in the long run. I know myself well enough that if I went away for 3 days and "ate what I want" it would take me longer to get back on track. Its who I am as a person and one of my habits I am trying very hard to change. But if you are able to jump back in on Monday, then it could work for you!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you.

What I do in those scenarios is to simply eat responsibly. I allow myself to eat and enjoy the vacation and all the rest, but I don't use it as an excuse to eat everything I can get my hands on. I may or may not log, but if I do, it's typically at the end of the day when I have a few minutes to myself. Calories and macros end up being whatever they end up being. It is what it is, and I move on.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is your goal, and you want to maintain your momentum in that regard, then I would do a combo of #2 and #3 - aim to stay within your calorie budget as best you can, but recognize that there will be times when you have to be a bit more flexible and allow yourself to move up to the maintenance level at that time.

If you dont care about gaining a couple of pounds - because there is a faction of folks who believe life is short, and its only a coupleof days, so indulge (but thats how I got fat), then go for #1.

Your choice!
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    If losing weight is your goal, and you want to maintain your momentum in that regard, then I would do a combo of #2 and #3 - aim to stay within your calorie budget as best you can, but recognize that there will be times when you have to be a bit more flexible and allow yourself to move up to the maintenance level at that time.

If you dont care about gaining a couple of pounds - because there is a faction of folks who believe life is short, and its only a coupleof days, so indulge (but thats how I got fat), then go for #1.

Your choice!

Yeah thats how i got fat too.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes I do understand that, but what happens to me (so I only speak from experience, though I am sure I am not unique in this regard) is that those "special" moments tend to run together - there is ALWAYS going to be a special moment in life, and this kind of thinking (that we "deserve" a treat or that we have somehow "earned" some high calorie food, or that its only one day (turns into a month) or its just one doughnut (a dozen)) is not a strategy that advances our weight loss goals.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would plan to stick to my normal diet for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I'd allow myself to indulge a bit at dinner or one special meal of the day.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes I do understand that, but what happens to me (so I only speak from experience, though I am sure I am not unique in this regard) is that those "special" moments tend to run together - there is ALWAYS going to be a special moment in life, and this kind of thinking (that we "deserve" a treat or that we have somehow "earned" some high calorie food, or that its only one day (turns into a month) or its just one doughnut (a dozen)) is not a strategy that advances our weight loss goals.

I agree with you. I could find a reason or 2 each week to "let loose". I also know I am harder to get back on the wagon. Finding a balance for yourself is so important and making this something that you can successfully achieve maintenance with.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly where you are in your journey but life is important. I would go on a trip and enjoy it. You can get back on track when you get back.. If you are talking about three days, go live, enjoy,have fun and don't worry about it.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I just came off of a long weekend. I still did meal prep and we mostly stuck to our plans. We did enjoy a dinner out and breakfast however when dinner came we both immediately asked for to go containers and separated our food. Life happens so enjoy your time off together :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd plan my weekend. I'm a planner. I'd plan to eat at my goal or maintenance.

Is something amazing going to happen on those days that you can't plan for at all that morning? Would it bother you if your weight goes up a couple of pounds?
    Even if you go over your maintenance level you won't gain 20 lbs after 3 days. Don't stress about it.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Personally, when I go on these types of trips I stop counting but do my best to make the best choices. Choose the fish special, not the cheese pasta, be as active as you can during the day, and keep the alcohol in check (for me that always led to a lot of empty alcohol calories as well as bad food choices afterward and laziness the next day).

Mostly though, enjoy your weekend. Life IS short, if this is to be a change in your lifestyle and not a short term diet then we have to make room for a small indulgence once in a while.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think this would be entirely dependent on how often I go away. I really only do maybe one big holiday, a weekend and then a few celebration days in a year. So for me, I eat freely at those times and enjoy myself without worrying about calories or tracking. It barely makes a dent in my progress as I'm disciplined at all other times and give myself a day when I start tracking again no matter what.

If I went away every month I'd be a lot more mindful. Maybe not track entirely but just keep an eye on what and how much I was eating.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you *can* make a "special day!" excuse every day, but presumably you know your own life and what kind of events arise.

"Special day, go ahead and indulge!" days can be fine - if you are clear about what defines them and when they begin and end. I'm a big believer in the notion that food is one way human beings bond with each other and pass on culture, and I recognize that. Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, Easter Dinner, the annual Tamale Party, each kid's birthday ... I'm going to eat traditional foods of my people and have a glass of wine. But those don't add up to more than a day every month or so. And if you can walk the line between "I'm not going to eat a single cookie!" and "I'm going to stuff myself until my gall bladder weeps," they're not going to do lasting damage.

Now, if you're going to "celebrate" getting through every week by going out, eating an entire pizza and drinking a case of beer, then your "special days" are going to have a bigger effect.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I guess it comes down to what you deem an occasion or event worth indulging over. What's an excuse to eat vs what's reason to enjoy.

That, or maybe my life is just REALLY boring.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a LOT for work (50% of the year) and found that there's almost always something reasonable on the menu. I would often ask for my veggies to be steamed, not sauteed or seasoned, and would order an extra veggie side.

This was my average menu while traveling:
    Breakfast -- Omelet - no potatoes or toast - ask for fruit as a replacement (even an orange is good)
    Lunch -- Salad with some protein (chef or chicken caeser work well). If possible dressing on the side, so I had control
    Dinner -- Salad (dressing on the side). Grilled or steamed seafood, chicken or steak with unseasoned veggies or whatever entree looked appealing and wasn't deep fried. I frequently went with a regional specialty that wasn't commonly available at home.
    Dessert - find someone to SHARE, and then eat less than half.

My biggest problem eating out for all three meals wasn't finding food that fit into my caloric plan, it was finding foods that didn't trigger my allergies.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think it's your call .. just enjoy yourself

Good luck
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    On these occasions, I try to stick within my calorie budget, but I also try to factor in some kind of exercise. We enjoy hiking or walking around a downtown area, so the sort of activities we do on vacation help offset the extra calories I might eat. If your ideal vacation involves more sedentary activities, this plan probably won't work for you.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd bank some calories every day that week and eat at maintenance level while away. That would still be a deficit for the week!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

Yes in effin' deed. This is how I got obese. Those "special" moments. You know, because we just can't "deprive" ourselves now can we? Why heck naw! I try to keep these "special" times to a minimum. Once these "special" occasions are happening several times a week it is no longer special it is a regular habit.