can we just talk about how i always ruin my diet on the week

Options
SERIOUSLY. every friday i got into battle mode for the weekend, trying my hardest to avoid temptation and just say no but it doesnt seem to matter how hard i try, i always end up giving in. :(

i feel gross and bloated and just... like a total loser. i let myself down so much but it seems like in the moment i just forget what happens the next day. the guilt, the sadness. i feel like i have to start the whole thing all over again on monday mornings.

i just wish i could break this cycle! :\

Replies

• lauralou23
    lauralou23 Posts: 64
    Options
    I am right there with you girl!!!! I totally lose it on the weekends! When I'm not in my weekday routine I FAIL!!! I think I'm so exhausted from being held accountable all week that I let myself go on the weekend and think "I deserve it" in reality I don't deserve squat until I reach at least 1 goal!
  • shortee75
    shortee75 Posts: 164
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Starting a new challenge today so hopefully that will help me stay on track!

I have a hard time logging my food on the weekend and I really need to break that cycle.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, i work hard all week and then come friday it all goes down hill.. the weekends kill me..
  • lmsieffer
    lmsieffer Posts: 4
    Options
    I think we all have trigger times where we want to throw are hard work down the tubes and eat everything in sight. Just remember, progress not perfection. Don't let your disappointment about your weekend stop you from starting today fresh. Everyday you have the chance to wake up and start new!
  • ibunnie
    ibunnie Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm working to change how I think about the weekend because I recognized that disciplining myself during the week makes me feel better. It's ingrained in our culture that we should "take a break," "relax," and "party on" Friday night through Sunday afternoon, and the point is that it's supposed to be a good thing to do all that. But, if doing that actually makes you feel worse—before because you know you're going to lose control, during because you know you've lost control, and after because your body reminds you that you lost control—then perhaps that "workin' for the weekend" message we allow ourselves to believe is the problem.

But, I just got started changing this attitude, so I'll have to update you late about whether it works long term. You can friend me if you want to make sure I'm walking the walk. {;0)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I used to not diet on the weekends. Now I try atleast. I went over by about 200 calories this weekend, both days. I think I did alright. I did exercise because I totally pigged out on Pizza hut on Saturday night. I'm doing better at the weekend thing but still going over. I think it's ok to splurge a LITTLE on the weekend especially when you eat healthy all week...having one meal a week that you really like...now I'm not saying do this, but I like to do it and it helps keep me on track, I get right back to it after having a little indulgence.
  • jale05
    jale05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    does anyone find it hard to constantly weigh foods in order to find the exact calories??
    i kept up with it for a week then let it slide and now cant get back into it :(
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I can't even drink that much water on weekends. I do try to get to the gym, at least. No solutions for you, but I did want you to know that I share your pain :) Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe we can let saturdays slide and then be good on sundays?
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have this problem. Saturday/sunday I'm much more likely to get an intense workout in, and up the calorie burn. A friend of mine has this issue though. Her nutritionist helped her workout a plan similar to "calorie cycling" or "zigzagging" During the week, where she's capable of being more regimented she compensates by lowering her calorie intake by 100-200 calories during the weekdays, making sure she's taking a multivitamin and getting her food from clean, nutritious sources high in fiber and protein to prevent metabolic damage. Then, for the 2 days of the weekend there's an excess of 500 to 1000 calories (depending on if she went under during the week by 100 or 200 per day.) This allows her to eat a little bit more, or worry a little bit less on the weekends without taking too much damage. Keep in mind that myfitnesspal already adds in a 500 calorie deficit. So she is able to eat around 1,000 calories per day extra on the weekends without "messing up the diet".

The weekends are great days for her to get a weight lifting or HIIT workout in. The extra calories give her extra motivation to workout! But she has to not be obsessive about the scale for a couple of days early in the week. The extra food and water intake often makes her APPEAR up. Especially if the calories came from high-sodium sources, like french fries! However, she's been much more able to maintain a constant weight loss, even very near her target-weight (now within 10 lbs) since doing it this way!

Good luck!