calorie intake losing weight while pregnant

Options
If anything women Here are pregnant and trying to lose weight at the same time. What calorie intake works for you to the point that you actually lose weight without exercising. I'm struggling to find a balance, I would like to aim for 1500 calories but I'm wondering of I will still lose weight. I am 5'2 , 178 lbs .

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? I wouldn't try to necessarily lose but maybe maintain rather than gain. Of course even if you are obese docs will tell you to keep weight gain down to 15lbs. If you are dieting while you are pregnant you run the risk of depriving the baby of valuable nutrients.

Have you talked to your doctor? Maybe discuss with a registered dietitian that is familiar with the dietary needs of prenatal women.

That being said keep your diet reserved to fish, lean meats, fresh veggies, fruits and nuts and then you can worry about weight loss once your little one is here.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think that's too low. You really need to work with a doctor and nutritionist if you're pregnant. This isn't something to mess around with - there's a balance to ensuring your baby gets what they need without harming your own health.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor approved of you losing weight while pregnant?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you need to work with your doctor and nutritionist - my friend just had a baby and her doctor decided to monitor her when she hadn't gained any weight between 2 appointments
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. You need to worry about you baby and not about losing weight. :noway:
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and 166lbs. I eat 1400cals a day and lose 2lbs per week approx. And I am NOT trying to grow a human in my uterus!

I would work very closely with a doctor and nutritionist when dealing with a weight loss during pregnancy. If your child is not getting what he/she needs, you run the risk of miscarriage or early delivery as your body will not be able to support that baby's proper growth.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is dangerous. There is no reason to try to lose weight while pregnant. It's okay to limit the weight you gain as gaining too much can be just as unhealthy as losing while pregnant. A pregnancy requires around 300 EXTRA calories per day. Eating less than you need will endanger you and the baby. I suggest you stop trying to lose weight.
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and I haven't gained any weight so far. I was slightly overweight when I became pregnant and my OB advised me to try not to gain much, if any, additional weight. But she said I still need to meet my calorie goals. So for example, in my 2nd trimester, you should eat about 300 extra calories a day. I aim to eat between 1600-2000, plus exercise. Just choose healthier options and don't give in to every craving.
    Ask your doctor what is best for you. I think just trying not to gain any weight is the best option. But if you gain 10-15lbs remember that is all baby.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should really speak to your doctor about this. In some cases a doctor may okay weightloss, but that's usually if there's a medical necessity for it or if the mother is obese.

At this point you should focus on at least in maintaining and/or sustaining a healthy weight gain. You can focus on weight loss after baby arrives and you've been given the go ahead by your OB after your first post part check.
  • treide123
    treide123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel I'm 4 months pregnant I'm 5 foot tall and I weigh 180 pounds I've lost 10 pounds to 2 being sick and I just got on here to monitor my calories to make sure that I'm getting the nutrition that I need so that my baby will be healthy I'd love to lose weight but the most important thing is that your eating what you need to eat so that's what I was looking for when I got on here I would just really like to know what percentages of protein carbohydrates and fats would be healthiest without going over and without going too far under with my first baby I only gained 20 pounds but I was also 40 pounds lighter when started.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I thought when you were pregnant you were supposed to eat like, 300 cals above maintenance per day?
    It varies by trimester. You don't need extra calories for the first, but yes, +300 for second and +500 for third.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    treide123 wrote: »
    I totally understand how you feel I'm 4 months pregnant I'm 5 foot tall and I weigh 180 pounds I've lost 10 pounds to 2 being sick and I just got on here to monitor my calories to make sure that I'm getting the nutrition that I need so that my baby will be healthy I'd love to lose weight but the most important thing is that your eating what you need to eat so that's what I was looking for when I got on here I would just really like to know what percentages of protein carbohydrates and fats would be healthiest without going over and without going too far under with my first baby I only gained 20 pounds but I was also 40 pounds lighter when started.

You need to talk to your doctor. Random internet strangers are not people you want advice from when you are carrying a life.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don't try to lose weight while you're pregnant, unless you are under a doctor's supervision. If you are overweight, you can try not to gain any more weight (maintain) at least for the first trimester of pregnancy. But unless you are extremely obese, you must gain at least a little weight by the end of pregnancy for the health of the baby. There are many calculators online to find out how much weight you should gain. For instance http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

There is a time for everything, and pregnancy is NOT the time to try to lose weight. You'll have plenty of time for that after the baby is safely here. Give yourself a break until then.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would like to aim for 1500 calories but I'm wondering of I will still lose weight. I am 5'2 , 178 lbs .

BTW, i started my last pregnancy at 5'2", 155 lbs. I ate 1500 calories for the first trimester, to maintain my weight. (It's my maintenance calories when sedentary, whether or not I'm pregnant) That's a fine amount of calories for the first trimester. But don't try to lose. During the second and third trimester, increase the calories.

Oh, and i also lost 30 lbs just by giving birth. :)
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the advise everyone. Yes I spoke to my doctor before hand, and he monetors the baby carefully. there was a typo in my post. I've been averaging up to 1700 calories a day and losing 1/2 lb a week without exercising. But i wanted to aim for 1900 calories but I am afraid that I may not be losing weight and gain instead. I was looking for advise from women who are/ have lost weight while pregnant
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do what you gotta do, but I say focus on getting plenty of iron, calcium, folate, vitamin c.
    Iron for all that extra blood you'll be making
    Calcium for the baby's bones,
    Folate to prevent spinal defects, and
    Vitamin C for immune support