Protein per lb body weight?

Options
How much protein per pound of body weight is recommended for moderate weight lifting? And is that per pound of lean muscle or over all body weight?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I use 1 gram per pound of lean mass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    0.8g per pound of bodyweight is often used
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use 1 gram per pound of lean mass.

This.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I use 1 gram per body pound and here is my reasoning..

1. That chicken package with the towel under the chicken plus the 15% liquid something all weigh something and I'm NOT putting raw chicken on my scale. I buy a 2.26 lb package really 1.96 lbs of chicken
    2. Supplement companies are ruthless six star just got popped for advertising 30 grams when it was truly 24 grams per scoop
    3. Its just extra calories over maximum usable so NO BIGGIE better over than under..
    4. The Carbs I actually like tend to kill my ability to stop eating them so it kills my daily Caloric goal
    5. I'm Complicated and special..

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    .8 per pound if you are a reasonable body fat percentage. Otherwise, I would just try to hit the amount of grams = to my goal weight.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

1. That chicken package with the towel under the chicken plus the 15% liquid something all weigh something and I'm NOT putting raw chicken on my scale. I buy a 2.26 lb package really 1.96 lbs of chicken
    2. Supplement companies are ruthless six star just got popped for advertising 30 grams when it was truly 24 grams per scoop
    3. Its just extra calories over maximum usable so NO BIGGIE better over than under..
    4. The Carbs I actually like tend to kill my ability to stop eating them so it kills my daily Caloric goal

A thought - set a plate on the scale and zero it out if you want to weigh raw chicken...?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Great advice :) I think .8 is probably a reasonable goal for anyone that's not a serious bodybuilder or strength trainer, but you're absolutely right that eating that extra .2/lb isn't going to harm you. It also gives you a bit of a cushion for those days when you just can't make even .8/lb.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

A thought - set a plate on the scale and zero it out if you want to weigh raw chicken...?

That's what i do. There's no need to put a slab of meat directly onto your scale.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You could weigh your protein powder? I've never used a scoop as a measure...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

He's talking about amino spiking (not actual quantity of powder per scoop). Some protein companies were indulging in amino spiking, adding things like glycine, taurine and even creatine to their powders, which resulted in artificially high results when tested for protein content. Six Star was one of them IIRC, along with several others. Here's one article about it: http://www.supplementlabtest.com/articles/what-amino-spiking-your-protein-shake
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

He's talking about amino spiking (not actual quantity of powder per scoop). Some protein companies were indulging in amino spiking, adding things like glycine, taurine and even creatine to their powders, which resulted in artificially high results when tested for protein content. Six Star was one of them IIRC, along with several others. Here's one article about it: http://www.supplementlabtest.com/articles/what-amino-spiking-your-protein-shake

Ahh! Yes ok... My brain didn't go there.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can take lb per body weight, but not training hard enough will turn to fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »

No. If you're in a caloric deficit, there is no net storage of fat regardless of the macro composition of your diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »

Just no... muscle is muscle, fat is fat... one doesn't 'turn into' the other...