What to do with my scallops?

Options
mamadragon82
mamadragon82 Posts: 5 Member
Hi. I'm new here, but I was hoping to get some ideas for my dinner tonight. I have some scallops marinating for dinner, but I have no idea what to serve with them! Would a whole wheat pasta work? What would I use as a sauce to keep it low calorie?

Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Scallops go with everything. You can put them with whole wheat pasta, but that's going to get high in calories really quickly unless you bulk it up with veggies. I try to reduce the amount of pasta to 3/4 per person and add TONS of veggies, like wilted spinach, broccoli, snap peas, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. A basic marinara sauce (not bolognese or vodka) is low in calories and adds tons of flavor. Or you could just use a can of chopped tomatoes (no salted added) and a few cloves of garlic.

Wow, I just made myself hungry for dinner. :D
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can scallops with whole wheat pasta in a white wine, lemon garlic sauce. Remember to go easy on the butter if you use any. I like to add some fresh basil, a little olive oil, lemon and simmer them in a little white wine to absorb the flavor. Remember to save a little of the pasta water to help the sauce bind to it better!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I would roast a bunch of veggies with a little olive oil, garlic, S&P. If you want pasta, cook/reduce the marinade and use that as a sauce. Hmmm, I'm getting hungry.
  • gf320
    gf320 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you want to reduce calories/carbs with pasta, you can split it with white beans. It seems a bit odd, and it still HAS a bit more carbs that most other dishes, but it can be great. Another good alternative is quinoa, which I absolutely love.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Here is recipe I have made once...it was really good! Basil Scallops with Spinach Fettuccini
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basil-scallops-with-spinach-fettuccine-10000001732705/
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    my first thought was to throw them at people.....

BUT i really like them on skewers and on the BBQ or even in the oven!! i LOVE scallops, so i don't even need that much seasoning, just a little italian dressing and i'm good to go!! :heart:
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was going to say we never marinate scallops, but we live in New England and typically buy sea scallops fresh. We put some salt and pepper on them and sear them in a hot pan with a little bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking. After we flip them once sprinkle them lightly with sugar which will caramelize them. Be sure not to cook them too long, just until they are no longer opaque. I typically make rice or tons of veggies with our scallops.
  • mamadragon82
    mamadragon82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone!!!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Saute them in a skillet with some lemon pepper and cayenne. .. There is a fish seasoning packet I like to get at Albersens that is really good on them. . .. Or throw them on some sqr's on the b-bque. . .some lemon and smartbalance. with a bit of spice. . .Just some thoughts.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    black bean paste, scallions, zucchini and scallops :) take a large/med pan saute in a white wine...add a serving of rice, pasta, or couscous :)