Calories help

Options
How many calories do I need per day.
How low should I go to shred weight at a reasonabl pace?

I'm 24, 5"9 sitting around 185 lbs.
Work out 6 times a week with weights every day and minimum .5 mile every day.
My job is sitting all day.

Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• jordanchamzuk
    jordanchamzuk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    did you not put this info into mfp when you signed up?

Yes I did. And my total intake should be around 2100. However other sites tell me I should be around the 3000 and every blog of post I read is giving me diffrent answers.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    did you not put this info into mfp when you signed up?

Yes I did. And my total intake should be around 2100. However other sites tell me I should be around the 3000 and every blog of post I read is giving me diffrent answers.

MFP gave you 2100 PLUS exercise calories so depending on how much you exercise the 2 numbers aren't extremely far off. Its all a guestimate and trial and error. Give one a try for a few weeks and then adjust as needed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Look at several different ESTIMATES.......average them out or pick one. They are all estimates. Your activity level is a range (not just one number). People with a larger % of lean muscle mass burn more. You will log food....let's face it, we all think we are accurate.....but some of us are not (estimates).

My Fitness Pal will give you a number before exercise & based on your weekly weight loss goal. If you know your exercise will be consistent, use a TDEE calculator and take off a percent. Then no need to log exercise. If using MFP....log exercise & eat 50-75% of exercise calories back, because those too are estimates.

Scooby's is popular: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    MFP bases its recommendations on NEAT, so it's estimating your normal daily calorie burn based on your activity level without purposeful exercise. When you record exercise with MFP it adds an estimate of calories burned back into your total, so the amount you have available to eat increases. (Most folks only eat back about half those calories to account for possible overestimates.)

If you told it you wanted to lose 1 lb/week it figured in a 500 calorie/day deficit, so your maintenance is probably around 2600. I'm not sure you can reliably assume another 400 burned from exercise (lifting doesn't burn all that much, and a half mile will probably only get you back 50-100 calories) so I'd definitely go with MFP's estimates to make sure you're in a calorie deficit.