I am so confused...all help welcome

Options
Me again. Now, 44 year old female weighing in at 224. On 1400 calories daily. First time on MFP was a great success with a 42lb weight loss. Kept the weight off for about 2 years. August 2016, I broke my ankle and for two months could not bear any weight on it (doctor's order and it was extremely painful to do so). I was in a cast for about 5 months, just had cast removed two weeks ago and learning to use my ankle again (a slow and painful process). I started back with MFP 4 weeks ago after gaining about 17lbs back. First two weeks, lost 6lbs while watching intake and incorporating the Bragg ACV regimen twice a day, which I am still doing. This two week period was a shocker. I did go over my intake once by maybe 150 calories and another time while celebrating and drinking beer (big mistake!) However, I was under my calories the rest of the two week period while drinking my vinegar regimen. I gained two pounds!!! I am really confused. Before, I wasn't able to walk and lost weight. Now I am up and moving so much more, watching calories, and using vinegar as a supplement. How did this happen? I am not giving up but would be lying if I said I am not upset about this. I am not able to exercise just yet, hopefully soon. Any suggestions? Anyone else on here using the Bragg ACV and are you having any success with it? Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ACV is a gimmick and does nothing so it isn't part of the picture.

Weight loss isn't linear. Water weight was a large part of that 6 pounds from the first two weeks and is likely the cause of those two new pounds.

This chart has some good advice that might help:

xuxpaqnq30p9.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar and it's supposed weight loss properties has been around since the 1970's. It has nothing to do with weight loss......there are several threads everyday asking this same question. Their stock prices must be thru the roof.

The flowchart above has lots of useful information. Weight often comes off in chunks. Water weight is a nuisance but remember.....it's temporary. Just continue eating at goal and you will get there.
  • Reeree72
    Reeree72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the useful information. I didn't consider 6 lbs in two weeks to be water weight, in which I could be wrong. I guess I was comparing that to the 7 pounds lost in the very first week I lost as water weight (when I first began dieting). I have to watch my sodium because of HBP so my sodium is always lower than minimum limit. Thanks for clearing up the vinegar theory. I had researched it for over two weeks before beginning and such great reviews on several forums lured me in. Been doing that for one month and see no physical benefits. However, it has been good for my blood pressure but that's about all. Just having a hard time accepting that the first go around was so much smoother. After gaining weight, so much harder the second time and I'm not sure why. You've been great, thanks.
  • Reeree72
    Options
    Also, forgot to include that since breaking my ankle, have seeing the doctor on a regular basis, have had all kinds of test ( a complete work-up) and all is good.
  • JohannVII
    JohannVII Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You don't say how tall you are, but it looks like you might be consuming fewer calories per day than your basal metabolic rate (you look to be taller than 4 feet in your photo, which is how short you would have to be at your weight and age for a BMR of 1400 kcal a day). That's not generally a healthy or especially effective approach to weight loss, because if you're consuming fewer calories than you need to survive each day, that is starvation, and it can cause your endocrine system to react in ways that inhibit weight loss (your body tries to minimize metabolism when starving as a survival mechanism). Paradoxically, if you increase your calorie intake a bit (use a BMR calculator like the one at MFP to find your minimum - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator ), you may actually see faster and more consistent weight loss results.

A couple of weeks isn't generally going to be enough time for noticeable results, since one's measured weight can fluctuate by several pounds in a day - consuming and passing meals, sweating, etc. Stick with a (healthy) plan for at least 6-8 weeks to see what the overall trend of your diet and exercise plan is.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JohannVII wrote: »
    You don't say how tall you are, but it looks like you might be consuming fewer calories per day than your basal metabolic rate (you look to be taller than 4 feet in your photo, which is how short you would have to be at your weight and age for a BMR of 1400 kcal a day). That's not generally a healthy or especially effective approach to weight loss, because if you're consuming fewer calories than you need to survive each day, that is starvation, and it can cause your endocrine system to react in ways that inhibit weight loss (your body tries to minimize metabolism when starving as a survival mechanism). Paradoxically, if you increase your calorie intake a bit (use a BMR calculator like the one at MFP to find your minimum - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator ), you may actually see faster and more consistent weight loss results.

A couple of weeks isn't generally going to be enough time for noticeable results, since one's measured weight can fluctuate by several pounds in a day - consuming and passing meals, sweating, etc. Stick with a (healthy) plan for at least 6-8 weeks to see what the overall trend of your diet and exercise plan is.

I've been under my BMR for nearly two years and lost about 125 pounds.

Eating below BMR is only a problem if you don't have enough excess fat to bring you up to your TDEE. Otherwise, BMR is just a number to use to calculate TDEE. The important part is to eat at least enough calories to get in your nutrients. That minimum calorie point is about 1200 for women and 1500 for men.
  • Reeree72
    Options
    FYI, I am 5'2 and now 224 (after gaining weight back). First round of MFP, was 253 and lost down to 211. After breaking ankle, I am still not able to exercise due to extremely slow healing of the bone. I am going to check out the BMI calculator. Thanks for your support.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You may be regaining some muscle (and perhaps retaining a little water). Hopefully, it will subside and you'll burn fat while retaining muscle.