So bloated and crampy

Options
I'm not sure what is going on but I think I may have to rethink my diet. All week now I've been bloated, gassy, crampy with no relief in sight. I saw an endocrinologist yesterday for thyroid issues and she sent me for tests for celiac disease but can't get them done til next week as apparently I have to pay for them and some of the tests I have to do really early in the morning. So where do I go from here? So lost and confused right now and frustrated!!! Help!!!!

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    When you say rethink your diet, what have you been doing differently and did this bloat, gas and stuff start then. Is Herbalife and Premier Protein new to your diet?
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    kikicooks wrote: »
    When you say rethink your diet, what have you been doing differently and did this bloat, gas and stuff start then. Is Herbalife and Premier Protein new to your diet?

no it's not new, I've using herbalife for about 2 months now and premier protein I has used before but ran out and just purchased more
  • sexymom04
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Can I get more info in terms of what/how you've been eating recently?

nothing new or different than before
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Can I have more information than that? I have zero idea what your diet looks like.
    She has an open diary.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    herbalife shake for breakfasts, then maybe eggs for lunch with Ezekial bread or another shake depending, protein bars, protein shakes for snakes, fruits, veggies, for supper steak, chicken, hamburger meat with pasta ( not often) rice, potatoes
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like a lactose issue, although i could be wrong.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    There could be some relation to the protein shakes, protein bars and/or Herbalife but I don't know the ingredients in them. The reason I say this is that I know that sometimes when I would eat a protein bars I would be gassy, I think it had something to do with the sugar alcohol, so maybe you are eating too much of that kind of stuff.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    herbalife shake for breakfasts, then maybe eggs for lunch with Ezekial bread or another shake depending, protein bars, protein shakes for snakes, fruits, veggies, for supper steak, chicken, hamburger meat with pasta ( not often) rice, potatoes

I did not know that snakes liked protein shakes. I guess that's why they try to eat my chickens' eggs. :po:)
  • sexymom04
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

I did not know that snakes liked protein shakes. I guess that's why they try to eat my chickens' eggs. :po:)

Hmmmm not sure what I was trying to say there lol
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I think I'm gonna try and limit the milk intake and maybe go gluten free for a week and see what that gives me. But not sure how I will do that lol
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I think I'm gonna try and limit the milk intake and maybe go gluten free for a week and see what that gives me. But not sure how I will do that lol

I think I'd do one at a time because what if for the next week you feel great - then which is it? The gluten or the lactose?

True

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I think I'd do one at a time because what if for the next week you feel great - then which is it? The gluten or the lactose?

True

This is true, but since you started having issues when re-introducing protein:

" premier protein I has used before but ran out and just purchased more"

I would personally remove the lactose / protein shake first.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Some people have trouble digesting eggs. I know all too well, because I dread my husband eating eggs lol. He likes eggs, but they don't like him. Have you tried adding probiotics: yogurt, kefir, miso soup, sauerkraut, kimchi? Sometimes your healthy bacteria needs a boost.

Also, artificial sweeteners (sugar alcohols) like sucralose in protein powders really messes with me, personally. One day I ate nuts... not realizing they were covered in sucralose sweetener and the aftertaste masked by Asulfame potassium. I was hungry, skipped breakfast, it was the only food I had at the time, and I ate A LOT of nuts. I had a panic attack and had never had one before. After doing some research I made the connection. I don't touch that stuff anymore. No sucralose, aspartame. (I can tolerate small amounts of xylitol and sorbitol in gum or toothpaste). Everyone is different though. Almond milk contains carrageenan as a thickener which can cause similar digestive issues for some people too. I stay away from it.

Try some peppermint tea for the time being, if you like it, of course. It slows digestion and has a soothing affect on the stomach. Or try a gas-x type product maybe? Having a sensitive stomach is terrible. I hope you get some relief.
  • AZCycle
    AZCycle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease (been diagnosed for three years) and I've also recently become allergic to eggs, too. While I understand your pain, don't make drastic diet changes before a big test like that. You need to be eating what you always eat so the test(s) can pick up any abnormalities from your diet. Good luck!
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements reduced my bloating tremendously. Maybe worth a try.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    AZCycle wrote: »
    I have celiac disease (been diagnosed for three years) and I've also recently become allergic to eggs, too. While I understand your pain, don't make drastic diet changes before a big test like that. You need to be eating what you always eat so the test(s) can pick up any abnormalities from your diet. Good luck!

Thanks didn't think of that
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Is your period due? Dumb question but I get extremely bloated and gassy when it comes (couple days before and couple days during).
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Are you currently eating foods with gluten? If not, no point doing tests for celiac disease if you aren't as the tests will not give a true result.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is your period due? Dumb question but I get extremely bloated and gassy when it comes (couple days before and couple days during).
    i had a historectomy back in 2009 but I occasionally still get bloated but not like this and not this long
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    AZCycle wrote: »

I was going to say just this! Also don't cut out lactose and gluten at the same time-you won't know which is the cause.
    I find too much protein powder (I use a whey one) gives me those symptoms