Need advice

Options
sweetiep1025
sweetiep1025 Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have lost 74 lbs and have about 10 more and I will be happy with the # on the scale. With in one week according to the scale I have gained 4 lbs but my fat % went down and my muscle mass is up. I exercise and watch what I eat, and my clothes are getting loser than they were from a few weeks ago. So seeing my fat % went down and muscle mass went up I don't understand how the # on the scale went up too! Any info/advice is appreciated!!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle. Be happy!
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more per pound than fat. Lose one and replace it with the other and you could have a gain. What difference does the number on the scale matter if you are seeing positive changes in your body by loss of inches or in better proportion? That is my goal to reduce clothing sizes and to look better and feel better. The number on the scale really doesn't matter to me.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Muscle weighs more per pound than fat. Lose one and replace it with the other and you could have a gain. What difference does the number on the scale matter if you are seeing positive changes in your body by loss of inches or in better proportion? That is my goal to reduce clothing sizes and to look better and feel better. The number on the scale really doesn't matter to me.

A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. They both weigh a pound.

Muscle is more dense, yes. Two people can both be 140lbs but can look different due to one having more muscle mass than the other.

If you are getting a bodyfat reading from a scale...don't trust it. Those are notoriously unreliable.

If you are losing inches and your clothes fit better, then it shouldn't matter what the scale says. Nobody knows what you weigh by looking at you. They just see you smaller.

ETA: Formatting.
  • BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. They both weigh a pound.

Muscle is more dense, yes. Two people can both be 140lbs but can look different due to one having more muscle mass than the other.

If you are getting a bodyfat reading from a scale...don't trust it. Those are notoriously unreliable.

If you are losing inches and your clothes fit better, then it shouldn't matter what the scale says. Nobody knows what you weigh by looking at you. They just see you smaller.

ETA: Formatting.

you know just the other day i posted saying this same thing about muscle, cause someone else said "muscle weighs more then fat" and people got all pissy pants saying that i was just being picky about wording and no one is actually stupid enough to believe muscle weighs more then fat lol... but you know what.. based on how many people say "muscle weighs more then fat"... i cant possible believe they all mean its more dense lol
    Nice to see someone else though correcting the sentence, cause it drives me bat crap crazy seeing people type it all the time.

As I said before -- possibly in that very thread -- I don't assume people are morons without good evidence.

I believe that now I have seen some evidence.

Mind you, unless you're dealing with someone quite that thoughtless, it is just being picky.
    BlueHorse8 wrote: »
    Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs.

You're quite correct, but if someone's going so far as to say that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, their thinking has gone off the rails.
  • sweetiep1025
    sweetiep1025 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your info, I don't know why I worry about the # on the scale, maybe because I want to get to a certain weight but as long as I know my body is changing based on my clothes size! I have been using a scale that calculates your weight, body fat %, water weight and muscle. I have also had many people tell me the muscle weighs more than fat and when I tell them it's the same they just argue so I end that conversation!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is just normal variation. Water retention, food waste, an inaccurate scale, ..., or a combination of those things. I would ignore it and stay the course. It will move down again soon enough. I understand that those scales that show body fat % are fooled by water retention and will show exactly what you see when there is more water in your body.