Walking a Half Marathon, Appreciate Any Tips

Options
HomeatWDW
HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've officially lost my mind and have signed up for a half marathon this weekend. I plan to restart C25K soon (did it years ago before my foot problems), but in the meantime I've been doing a lot of walking, up to 10 miles some days, since I do a lot of virtual races. I think I can make it in real time now, especially since there's no time limit.

If anyone else has walked a half marathon, I'd love some tips. I have plantar fasciitis but it's under control, so I'll be wearing sandals instead of regular running shoes. I've done ten miles in them before and know my potential hot spots. I'll also pack some water to stay hydrated. I'm a little worried about making it between potty stops, but maybe that will be incentive to walk faster. I used to get that nice runner's high when I was doing C25K, but I doubt it will kick in at a walking pace (I'll jog a little if I can, but I don't know if I'll have the stamina).

Hopefully I can do this, even though I'm sure my muscles and feet will hate me the next day.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've walked a few 10ks but never a half. Take snacks & water, and maybe some moleskin for your hot spots. Just do what you're used to doing, that's usually the advice for these events.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    I'm definitely packing some moleskin and extra water. The weather should be cool (FL) so I'm just hoping the rain stays away.
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Water is your friend much more than snacks:) Bananas and boiled eggs also:)

I walk a lot (part of 10k steps a day). I do maybe 4km at lunch and in general around 9km a day. In the past I've walked 50km+ in a day with pack on my back.

It may just be me but rarely have I needed food during these walks - just water. At the end of them - bananas and/or a boiled egg - just to put something back in to aid recovery and then go on normally.

One thing you may find useful - depending on physique and personal situation - is to take a rigid frame pack and put in a water skin/hydration system. Why? Well - it's easier to carry water and a few other things that way, but also, it can really help if your back gets tired. It can keep shoulders from dropping and give that little bit extra support. I have a 25l pack, whose original purpose was for climbing/skiing but now I throw in my small stove and pan with some water. That way I can always have a brew on the way:)

This helps any?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    At this point there's nothing you can do from a fitness point of view to change anything but if you're already walking up to 10 miles you should be fine (many training plans for running a HM have 10 miles as their longest run).

Biggest rule for race day (even if you're not racing it) is nothing new. Wear clothes that you've trained in (it's amazing how a seam on a new shirt or shorts can chafe), no changes to nutrition....in fact you may want to cut back on your fibre a little in the couple of days leading up to the event. Stay reasonably well hydrated in the days leading up to the race and take advantage of the water tables along the way. Resist the temptation to use gels (many races will offer them at a few of the aid stations) unless you've used that particular brand before, same goes for sports drinks......if you haven't used it in training don't drink it on race day.

Relax, enjoy the day and remember to smile for your finish line photo!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the cut off time for the half you're doing?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you know where you get potential hot spots - maybe carry some moleskin to put on those spots that will reduce some of the rubbing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're already walking 10 miles on some days, you should have about zero issue adding the additional 3.
  • lorrpb
    Options

She said time is unlimited.
    At this point there's nothing you can do from a fitness point of view to change anything but if you're already walking up to 10 miles you should be fine (many training plans for running a HM have 10 miles as their longest run).

Biggest rule for race day (even if you're not racing it) is nothing new. Wear clothes that you've trained in (it's amazing how a seam on a new shirt or shorts can chafe), no changes to nutrition....in fact you may want to cut back on your fibre a little in the couple of days leading up to the event. Stay reasonably well hydrated in the days leading up to the race and take advantage of the water tables along the way. Resist the temptation to use gels (many races will offer them at a few of the aid stations) unless you've used that particular brand before, same goes for sports drinks......if you haven't used it in training don't drink it on race day.

This in bold would be changing your nutrition. I would recommend against the making this change if you've never done it before. Could have undesired results!

Have fun!
  • gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I did the We Walk 1/2 marathon that we have here in MN. The farthest I walked while preparing for it was 11 miles I think split into two sessions in one day. I also did some jogging as part of training for it too. It went well. I really only used the periodic stations for drinks/snack but it was a chilly and rainy day. Had it been hot more water would have been needed. Other than that I really didn't do anything special. Being prepared for whatever the weather is supposed to be is also impotant. I may do again someday. The We Walk does a half a full and. 50K I believe. Half was plenty for me.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you're already walking 10 miles, I think you'll be fine...especially since there is no time limit. When my family and I go hiking in the summer, my husband and son rarely hike, walk, or run more than a 5K distance. Yet, they do 10 mile hikes with lots of elevation gain without issue.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

She said time is unlimited.

This in bold would be changing your nutrition. I would recommend against the making this change if you've never done it before. Could have undesired results!

Have fun!

Perhaps I should have phrased it no new foods.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd say this is a tremendously bad idea- but if you're already walking double digits- you'll be fine.
    You probably could include some slow jogging every 10 minutes just to make the time go by faster.

Not sure why you'd really want to walk on- running one already takes forever- but just do as you normally do for a regular 10 mile walk.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I done a 16 mile walk last year with similar training distance.

It's totally doable, you seem really prepared. I walk with a bladder rather than having to get a bottle out of my bag. Small regular sips rather than half a bottle at a time. I also carry boiled sweets to boost my energy levels and stop my mouth getting too dry.

Good luck :smiley:
  • HomeatWDW
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice! My training walk times have ranged from an 18 to 16:30 pace (18 was walking in a crowded, people-heavy area). I'll probably do some jogging if I have the stamina. A lot of people walk the half in my town and come in at between 3 and 4 hours, but it starts at the same time as the marathon, which does the same track twice, so there's no time pressure. That one is already over, so the one I'm doing is a half, 10k and 5k, and relatively small, so I'll probably be the last one across the line. I'm fine with that as long as I finish. I'll be packing water and snacks in my running belt, and the only thing new will be a compression sock for the bad foot because it will be a little tighter than my worn ones, which is more comfy. I really think I can do it, so we'll see. I do a lot of virtual races and mileage challenges, which is why I rack up a lot of high mileage days.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of training plans, and they absolutely have them for walking!

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51134/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    Tomorrow is the big day. Hopefully I'll soon be posting a NSV.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Let us know how it goes!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the big day. Hopefully I'll soon be posting a NSV.

Of course you can do this, remember to enjoy it! Good luck x
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    It turns out I didn't do it after all because our fridge water line broke Friday night so we were up until after 3 am cleanimg the flood. Thank goodness we were home, but it ran for a while because we were upstairs and didn't even k ow the downstairs was flooding. There was no way I could be up at 6 am. I was tied up all of Sat.cleaning up, but I did 5 miles in tne park on Sunday and I'm already looking for another race. I'm just really ticked about missing it and the fact that we have to rip out all of our wood flooring on the first floor. At least the Sheetrock seems to be salvageable unless we find evidence of mold.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    It turns out I didn't do it after all because our fridge water line broke Friday night so we were up until after 3 am cleanimg the flood. Thank goodness we were home, but it ran for a while because we were upstairs and didn't even k ow the downstairs was flooding. There was no way I could be up at 6 am. I was tied up all of Sat.cleaning up, but I did 5 miles in tne park on Sunday and I'm already looking for another race. I'm just really ticked about missing it and the fact that we have to rip out all of our wood flooring on the first floor. At least the Sheetrock seems to be salvageable unless we find evidence of mold.

Bummer! I hope you're able to dodge the mold bullet. I had a leak in my roof last winter and by the time the roofing guy came by two days later, there was mold.

On the bright side, you now have plenty of time to train for the next half marathon! :)