Has anyone lost weight from becoming vegetarian/vegan?

Options

Replies

• jessica0581
    Options
    I recently become vegetarian/vegan (more vegan, just using up the last of the cheese in my fridge, then I'll be actual vegan), and the weight has been falling off me. Before going vegetarian, I lost about 45 pounds, but still had another probably 30 to go. I couldn't lose any more - terrible plateau - regardless of how much I exercised and watched my diet. I was so diligent - no added sugar or pop or anything - just meat and veggies and dairy. Yet I still couldn't manage to lose any more weight. For ethical reasons, I have ceased meat consumption and I feel 100000x better. The only exercise I do now is ride my bike and go for walks, meanwhile before I went to the gym for hours a day and almost no results.

I eat whole veggies, beans, and have been very adventurous with trying new foods. I make a ton of soups with raw ingredients and potatoes are my favvvoouritte thing in the world now esp sweet potatoes. I barely eat any breads or refined flour, but there is dairy-free chocolate that I have to fill that sweet craving.

Honestly, there's no secret - just eat when you're hungry, eat what feels right, and stop eating the things that make you feel crappy or give you a tummy ache after. I always had digestive issues my whole life, probably from the dairy. Now, I'm feeling 100% better and loving what I see in the mirror - have probably another 10-15 pounds until I'll be completely happy.

So that's all I gotta say on this :) good luck everyone
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Why does this question keep pooping up? Look, if you want to become vegetarian do so on principle not for weight control as you will be sorely disappointed. You can eat quite a bit and be vegetarian. I've been vegetarian since 18--not for some weight loss, but because I have certain beliefs important to me.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was a fat vegetarian and now am a not so fat vegetarian. Being a vegetarian/vegan will not make you lose weight, only eating at a deficit will.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You'd probably be better off cutting "junk" foods and snacks (not snack times, but snack foods) - doughnuts, cakes, chips, white pasta (which was the sole reason I'm here, pretty sure)... etc.. I mean if you're purely looking for a thing to cut in hopes of weight loss. You don't really need to cut anything so much as just adjust your overall food intake. But I do think there are studies out there that show vegetarians have longer lifespans on average (though I personally would still rather eat meat). I'm not sure of the validity of those studies.

Oh and I'll add that I've only ever known 2 vegetarians in my life. One lost weight when she switched. She switched because animals are friends. The other gained weight when she switched - I'm not sure why she tried it. After several years she switched back because Arby's is delicious and she was low on B12 and iron. I haven't seen her since then unfortunately... (which makes me truly sad, she was one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. But she fell off the face of the planet. No one knows what happened to her and her family - they just... picked up and left!).
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for over a year. Initially, I dropped about 15 pounds but then I had to count calories to progress any further. Clearly, I didn't stick with it, which is why I'm back. :smile:
  • sydneanew
    sydneanew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most of my life I ate primarily plant based. vegetarian, not vegan (I was vegan briefly a couple years ago but I just love cheese too much to do that again.) I have never really liked the taste of meat and from a moral perspective it has always bothersd me a lot. I have been strict vegetarian for 6 months, and will be for the rest of my life. I only ate meat all these years bc my Texan friends and family around me convinced me it was necessary part of a well rounded diet. I was always heavier- 5'6" and around 185 9 months ago- so I have tried many diets. Everyone I know raved about paleo and I tried but it was uneffective, gross (I hate meat), and I felt ill. I've always had a very sensitive stomach with protein rich food, even things like tofu sometimes. So when I decided to eat the way I craved to eat (carbs and veggies and cheese and juice!) I noticed right away feeling better overall. Emotionally and physically. The first few months I noticed I was losing weight slowly. But within the last 2 months I have lost 30 pounds. No major changes. Little to no exercise. My friends and family say it's bc I need more protein. But protein makes me feel sick and does unpleasant things to my gi tract. Now I have always been a heavier girl but retained a very muscular frame beneath the weight- big butt and thighs. Even with the weight loss my family credits to not getting enough protein- I still have very muscular legs and rear. If anything more muscular than before. I've lost mostly belly, arm, inner thigh weight. Where all the fat was. What I'm trying to get at is the importance of understanding your body's dietary needs. I understand a meat free diet is not ideal or healthy for every body. Some people need meat (make sure sources are ethically produced though!). I am a healthy weight and feel better not eating meat. Not every diet works for everyone. Eat what you need to eat to feel good and the rest will work itself out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I did when I was a teen! I lost 20 lbs in no time. Then made up for the meat by eating more cheese or whatnot... and gained it all back. So I started eating meat again. But by then I was older and able to make my own food (I hated the way my mom cooked meat).
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for roughly 5 months and vegetarian for over 3 years, until this past summer. I did indeed lose about 10 pounds during this time, but definitely did not feel my best during this time. Although I ate large portions and ate till I was very full, I would always become hungry after a meal rather quickly. After I slowly incorporated meat back into my diet, my blood sugars levels would even out and my appetite was able to be sustained at a consistent level.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Yes - 100 pounds. :) And I became a marathon runner. It was not without struggles, and some learning.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i am an obese vegetarian. a couple years ago i went vegan (Forks Over Knives style) and lost 50 lbs (and lost another 20 lbs after I started eating dairy again and did MFP). I gained 40-50 lbs back going back to my old ways thinking "I'm active".

What is more important that no meat/no eggs/no dairy is the type of food you eat. I have been successful when I cut processed food (for me even more important that portion control). There is lots of unhealthy vegetarian and vegan food out there. Sweedish Berries are vegan.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 60 lbs by becoming vegan and running 5 days a week.

But it wasn't a long term lifestyle I could support, and I gained it all back pretty fast. I believe it impacted my muscle % too, the combination of lots of cardio and insufficient protein.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I was an obese sedentary vegetarian, now I'm a healthy weight vegetarian who runs.

Being a vegetarian had nothing to do with my weight. How much food I ate did.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    Yes, I lost 60 lbs by becoming vegan and running 5 days a week.

But it wasn't a long term lifestyle I could support, and I gained it all back pretty fast. I believe it impacted my muscle % too, the combination of lots of cardio and insufficient protein.

That's one thing I've never had issue with as a vegetarian. I've always eaten a lot of protein rich food. I think it's a legacy of having low-carbed for ten years before I gave up and admitted I just don't like meat of any kind (fish is kind of okay sometimes, but why bother). I learned from that experience that I find protein foods to be filling. Even when I wasn't paying attention to my weight, I always made sure I ate plenty of protein.
  • jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was vegan at some point, but I didn't lose a single pound at the time. I was still eating junk food, just vegan junk food. Still the same CICO.

Based on my personal experience, vegan =/= weight loss, contrary to popular belief. I've since converted to vegetarianism, and I have lost weight, but I wouldn't say it's in conjunction with not eating meat.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    lindzmt22 wrote: »
    Considering it.....just curious. I really want to be as healthy as I can be, although I know that everyone has a different opinion on what is 'healthy' though.

I gained 20lbs as a vegetarian and 10lbs of it as a low carb vegetarian. Losing weight is different for everyone and it's about finding ways of eating that fit you individually. You can also be healthy eating meat, or not eating any animal products, or eating only raw foods it just depends on what you choose to do.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was at my highest weight and gaining as I was not paying attention to my calorie intake even though I was eating all nutritious foods.

All I do now is pay attention to calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I was an obese sedentary vegetarian, now I'm a healthy weight vegetarian who runs.

Being a vegetarian had nothing to do with my weight. How much food I ate did.

All this (well, except that I mostly row, not run), and I'll up the ante: For about the last 12 years before losing weight at age 59, I was an obese vegetarian who worked out intensely, usually 6 days a week: Rowing, cycling, aerobic dance, lifting, and more, in various combinations at various times. I even rowed competitively, indoors & on water.

Over the course of 43 vegetarian years, I got fat, then obese, then lost as a vegetarian. Vegetarianism/veganism is irrelevant to health or weight. A well-balanced, nutritious way of eating, coupled with reasonable exercise, and staying at a healthy weight - those things are great for your health.

(Zombie thread, but as long as it's awake again now . . . . ;) ).
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a vegan who needed help losing weight. We decided that he could cut down on his high sugar and refined carbs intake and eat more vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, whole fruits, whole grains and the like. Being vegan doesn't guarantee slimness.
  • Pommieaussie
    Pommieaussie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm an overweight vegan but my reasons for being vegan are purely ethical. My weight is also a lot to do with my metabolism and my post hysterectomy hormone problems plus I do have a fairly sedentary lifestyle. I have been vegan for 5 years and vegetarian for 9 years before that. My ethical beliefs are way more important to me than the way something might taste! I used to love cheese, meat, chicken etc etc etc. I loved the taste - but I knew nothing back then of the way these foods got on to my plate so now that I do, I don't eat them anymore. Veganism is not a diet. It's a way of life and should only be undertaken if you are doing it for the right reasons. Just my opinion