I'm not losing any weight

MissT02
MissT02 Posts: 13 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been working out for a little over a month now, and I haven't seen any weight loss besides 1-2 pounds fluctuating every so often. I have always set my calorie intake to be around 1200, but I'm wondering if I'm not losing any weight because it's too low? Over the last month or so, I have really pushed myself with working out between 4 and 6 days a week, and I am currently sticking to the 6 days a week within the last 2 weeks because I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. I'm struggling on finding out how many calories I should be eating per day, because I can't figure out my activity level. My job is very sedentary, I work at a desk and I don't get to leave my desk very often. However I've been working out for about 30 minutes everyday after work 6 days a week. Some of the activity calculators and say that if you sit at a desk job that you should be considered sedentary, where is another one I saw said that if you workout four to six days a week considered very active. Obviously, those calorie intakes are very different! I should also note, I do have PCOS, which historically has always caused challenges for me losing weight. I'm just at a loss and so discouraged that my clothes aren't fitting any better after a month. I do feel stronger and I know I'm building muscle, which is rewarding, but I would be less discouraged if my clothes were fitting like they used to, LOL!

Replies

• MissT02
    I wear a fit bit for my exercise, however it doesn't have the heart rate monitor, so I manually enter my exercise on MyFitnessPal. I do use a food scale to weigh my Foods, and when I enter in my foods on MyFitnessPal, I do make sure that they match what the label says. As far as if I eat my calories back, I think it would be safe to say that I have good days and bad days, but mostly good days, LOL.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    What are your height and weight?
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    I'd set my activity level to "sedentary" at first and go with that for awhile. Others may disagree; a lot of people here say they eat their exercise calories back and still lose. That was never the case for me, though. Since you aren't losing, you can try the sedentary # for a week or two and adjust up if you feel it's too low. Also, MFP really overestimates calories burned through exercise, so when it comes to eating them back you have to be sure you've got the right number.

If I had to guess, if you're eating back MFP's exercise calories and having good days and bad days, as you say, I'd say it's possible the exercise calories and some bad days are having you break even.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I suggest opening up your diary, to help people give you feedback.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Why are you manually inputting exercise? my fitbit already takes my exercise calories into account if it's cardio except recumbent biking.

and if you're relying on labels then that's the problem. you need a food scale and have to weigh everything to get an accurate picture of calorie intake.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2017
    Why are you manually inputting exercise? my fitbit already takes my exercise calories into account if it's cardio except recumbent biking.

and if you're relying on labels then that's the problem. you need a food scale and have to weigh everything to get an accurate picture of calorie intake.

she did say she was using a food scale.

Ah yeah, I missed that. Sorry!

She also says she has good days and bad days, so I wonder if her bad days undo her hard work.
  • MissT02
    jemhh wrote: »

5'4" 157#
  • MissT02
    Thanks that's very helpful!

I was logging the same on mfp, my non step activity was manually being entered. I thought that's what it said to do when I synced my fit bit since it's a non heart rate monitoring one.

So it sounds like the consensus is to track my activity level as sedentary?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    MissT02 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

5'4" 157#

I would suggest setting your weekly goal to a half pound and leaving your activity as lightly active. Don't log exercise for 4 weeks and then evaluate. Losing too fast? Eat more. Too slowly? Eat less. Overly hungry? Assess your diet and determine if you can eat more satiating foods or if you need to raise calories.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I peeked at your diary (thanks for sharing). It looks like you've started recording well this last week, but not before.

Step one is to always get 'religious' about recording everything you eat.
    If you miss a day or two, go back and guess but don't ignore it.

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Remember with PCOS that your weight loss will already be a slower process. You may see a rate of loss similar to someone who is within 5lbs of their goal. Less than .5lbs per week.

I am 166lbs and 5'1". I have my calories manually set for 1400/day, I have a HR fitbit linked so I never log my exercise, and I am set to sedentary with negative calorie adjustments enabled.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    I have PCOS too, and the struggle is real! You haven't mentioned what your macro settings are, but you might want to try adjusting those - fewer carbs, more quality protein and healthy fats. The carbs you do eat should be primarily complex carbs too. If you eat a lot of fruit, cut back on the fruit and eat more non-starchy veggies.

You may already know this, but in case you don't - PCOS creates insulin resistance which is essentially pre-diabetes. If your insulin levels are always up, losing weight is going to be much harder. Your blood glucose levels may be normal and you could still have elevated insulin. I had a blood test specifically for insulin that confirmed it for me. I take several insulin sensitizing supplements in addition to modified macro ratios.
  • jane1817
    jane1817 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm 55 and have spent the past 25 years trying to lose the same 50 lbs. In 1985, I weighed 115 lbs (5ft 3"). In 1990, I weighed 120lbs. By 2015, I weighed 173lbs. My blood pressure had shot up, and I had terrible pain in my feet. I was desperate. I was always a healthy eater. I ate lots of fruit, veggies, complex carbs, low fat, never drank soda and almost no alcohol. But despite my "healthy" diet, nothing worked. The weight gain simply continued. For years I exercised like crazy, counted my calories diligently, tried WW a number of times. I counted fat grams, fibre grams, glycemic index, calories calories calories. Dropped to 1100 a day and still didn't lose weight. I never lost more than 6 or 7 lbs. I would then regain it and then gain more. However, last June 2016 I started low carb and dropped all grains, sugar, including sweeteners, and most fruit except for berries. I'd tried low carb several times in past years but it didn't work because I was also eating a diet low in fat, and I felt so sick that that I couldn't continue eating like that. I really wish I'd have studied the research on low carb/high fat diets and kept to the fat they recommended. In July 2015, at 173lbs, I started WW for the 4th time. Over a period of 11 months I lost the grand total of 5lbs. So in July 2016, after watching a documentary about sugar, I finally tried low carb again, this time with lots more fat to keep me satiated and give me energy. Since then, over 7 mths, I've lost 17lbs, have kept it off and feel great. I have lots of energy and never have low blood sugar swings like I used to have. Using MFP, I count carbs only (I stick to 50 grams net per day), 60-70% fat, and I DO NOT count calories. On average, I eat about 1700 cals a day but I don't count them. I walk every day, about 8000-12000 steps, and lift weights twice a week. My blood pressure has gone down, my foot pain is gone, my cholesterol and other metabolic syndrome markers are normal. I never crave sugar, bread or other grains like I used to. I allow myself an occasional treat like a square of Lindt 70%. This time, I did LOTS of research, read a number of books by highly respected writers and nutrition experts from all over the world. Eating like this (LCHF) has become a way of life.

I now weigh 151 lbs, losing an average of 1/2 lb a week. I'd like to lose another 20lbs and get my BMI down to normal (the tortoise wins the race). I feel confident that I can do it, and expect that it'll take me another year to do it. I highly recommend LCHF - the first week or two is the hardest, to get over the carb cravings. After that, it's not difficult. I don't intend to promote anything but will provide info on my research if asked. Good luck!
  • MissT02
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I peeked at your diary (thanks for sharing). It looks like you've started recording well this last week, but not before.

Step one is to always get 'religious' about recording everything you eat.
    If you miss a day or two, go back and guess but don't ignore it.

I'm trying to get better, I used to use mfp religiously and then I quit all together, so I'm defintely trying to get better at logging. Dinner has always been a struggle to log because I don't have a lot of time in the evening unless it's a super easy recipe I've tracked before. Thanks for the advice!
  • MissT02
    I have PCOS too, and the struggle is real! You haven't mentioned what your macro settings are, but you might want to try adjusting those - fewer carbs, more quality protein and healthy fats. The carbs you do eat should be primarily complex carbs too. If you eat a lot of fruit, cut back on the fruit and eat more non-starchy veggies.

You may already know this, but in case you don't - PCOS creates insulin resistance which is essentially pre-diabetes. If your insulin levels are always up, losing weight is going to be much harder. Your blood glucose levels may be normal and you could still have elevated insulin. I had a blood test specifically for insulin that confirmed it for me. I take several insulin sensitizing supplements in addition to modified macro ratios.

Thanks for sharing! The struggle is defintely real! I may look into getting my insulin checked, thank you!
  • MissT02
    Remember with PCOS that your weight loss will already be a slower process. You may see a rate of loss similar to someone who is within 5lbs of their goal. Less than .5lbs per week.

I am 166lbs and 5'1". I have my calories manually set for 1400/day, I have a HR fitbit linked so I never log my exercise, and I am set to sedentary with negative calorie adjustments enabled.

Thank you! I do try to remind myself that my progress has always been slower, and adjust my expectations. Thanks for the reassurance :)
  • MissT02
    jane1817 wrote: »
    I'm 55 and have spent the past 25 years trying to lose the same 50 lbs. In 1985, I weighed 115 lbs (5ft 3"). In 1990, I weighed 120lbs. By 2015, I weighed 173lbs. My blood pressure had shot up, and I had terrible pain in my feet. I was desperate. I was always a healthy eater. I ate lots of fruit, veggies, complex carbs, low fat, never drank soda and almost no alcohol. But despite my "healthy" diet, nothing worked. The weight gain simply continued. For years I exercised like crazy, counted my calories diligently, tried WW a number of times. I counted fat grams, fibre grams, glycemic index, calories calories calories. Dropped to 1100 a day and still didn't lose weight. I never lost more than 6 or 7 lbs. I would then regain it and then gain more. However, last June 2016 I started low carb and dropped all grains, sugar, including sweeteners, and most fruit except for berries. I'd tried low carb several times in past years but it didn't work because I was also eating a diet low in fat, and I felt so sick that that I couldn't continue eating like that. I really wish I'd have studied the research on low carb/high fat diets and kept to the fat they recommended. In July 2015, at 173lbs, I started WW for the 4th time. Over a period of 11 months I lost the grand total of 5lbs. So in July 2016, after watching a documentary about sugar, I finally tried low carb again, this time with lots more fat to keep me satiated and give me energy. Since then, over 7 mths, I've lost 17lbs, have kept it off and feel great. I have lots of energy and never have low blood sugar swings like I used to have. Using MFP, I count carbs only (I stick to 50 grams net per day), 60-70% fat, and I DO NOT count calories. On average, I eat about 1700 cals a day but I don't count them. I walk every day, about 8000-12000 steps, and lift weights twice a week. My blood pressure has gone down, my foot pain is gone, my cholesterol and other metabolic syndrome markers are normal. I never crave sugar, bread or other grains like I used to. I allow myself an occasional treat like a square of Lindt 70%. This time, I did LOTS of research, read a number of books by highly respected writers and nutrition experts from all over the world. Eating like this (LCHF) has become a way of life.

I now weigh 151 lbs, losing an average of 1/2 lb a week. I'd like to lose another 20lbs and get my BMI down to normal (the tortoise wins the race). I feel confident that I can do it, and expect that it'll take me another year to do it. I highly recommend LCHF - the first week or two is the hardest, to get over the carb cravings. After that, it's not difficult. I don't intend to promote anything but will provide info on my research if asked. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to look into that! I appreciate you sharing your story, thank you :)