Zumba

Options
Hi there, I'm new here and was hoping for some advice.
I'd like to get in shape and really just look a bit healthier so I'm thinking of starting Zumba as its been recommended to me by a couple of my friends. However I haven't got the time to go to classes so my plan is to buy the dvds and start at home. There's a pack on Amazon at the moment with;
Music and dance inspired by traditional South American culture including Salsa and Flamenco
4 DVDS
Toning Sticks that shake like maracas!

Is this a good way to help me lose weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely :)
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    YES! Absolutely! It's so much fun! You'll be hooked! Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • Jackie9677
    Jackie9677 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You will love zumba! I'm hooked! I wish you could make it to the classes because that's where I get most of my encouragement, but I'm sure the DVDs are great as well.

Have fun!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY!!!! Get to a class when you can though they are so much more fun with a group!!!!
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY... I have the set you are speaking of, and I love it!!! :smile:
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    YES! I lost 20lbs doing at home dvds....I just recently got the xbox kinect and so I purchased the zumba game, and I must say that it is a sure workout. Of course it has to do with how much effort you put into it, but it's worth a try. I think maybe starting off with one dvd, and see how you like it. It took me a while to find a few dvds that I enjoyed doing.

Find what works for you. Good luck!
  • madmand0802
    madmand0802 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none so yes it's a good idea! The dvds your on about are the ones I have at home and they're good. I go twice weekly to a Zumba class and my life can be so hectic at times I have to miss a few classes, so I pop in a dvd and they make me sweat! The beauty of them is they last from 20 minutes to an hour depending on what you choose and they're so easy to follow. Hope they give you fun and good luck in your new healthy life choice :-)
  • Ninjaninja1
    Ninjaninja1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout! You will sweat your BUTT off !
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I haven't tried the DVDs but I love the class I go to. I'd like to be able to do it at home, but I doubt if it would be as much fun without my perky, sexy, cheeky instructor. I've gotten spoiled with a really fun class and I think I'll miss that at home, but if you don't know what you're missing, the DVDs might still be great. It's gotta be more fun that a lot of the home workouts!!!! (Like the evil 30 Day Shred, more commonly known in my house as Satan's 20 minutes).
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There's a pack on Amazon at the moment with;
    Music and dance inspired by traditional South American culture including Salsa and Flamenco
    4 DVDS
    Toning Sticks that shake like maracas!

I just started using the dvds and they are amazing!! You will definitely lose weight and tone up doing these. It's so much fun and once I get a little better at knowing the moves I want to take a class, it seems like it would be great fun!
  • Radiva
    Radiva Posts: 14
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ZUMBA!!! you burn a whole lot of calories while having fun! Good luck to ya!
  • smilie27
    smilie27 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love, love, love ZUMBA!! Give it a go and you'll be hooked!!

Good Luck!! :smile:
  • Kit3991
    Kit3991 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice! I'm excited to buy them now!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'd say so! And, you can have so much fun doing it. (I've got to try it) :blushing: Anyway, who doesn't like drums?

Another consideration....My nephews have a wii game that has michael jackson tunes that you can dance to and try and mimick his moves. I did try it and it was a lot of fun and exhausting:laugh: . Best exercise I've gotten though.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing! so much fun and real results. I havn't lost as much weight as i was hoping to but the inches are coming off. and i am having real shape again. my curves just look curvier in the right places and smaller in the other places! also, this type of exercise seems to help me keep my boobs, while other cardio seems to make them shrink somehow.
    I HIGHLY recommend it. with all this high praise from the thread, I hope you already started your Zumba-ing!!!!!!!

The weights are nice, but you really don't need them to start. Once you get into it though, it adds an extra level of challange and burns about 100-250 more calories, depending on how intense you are with them
  • DarbysWife
    Options
    I have the Zumba DVD's and LOVE it!! I would to go to a class, but unfortunately, because I run my own day care from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm, it is hard for me to leave my hubby and 3 girls (who I already don't get to see as much as I want) just to go exercise when I can do it at home.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I do the classes and the dvds, and for example today I needed to fit in some exercise, so I did 20 mins of Zumba on the DVD and burned over 151 calories in the process. I use a heart rate monitor to track the cals. Anyway, it felt like the 20 minutes went by in the blink of an eye because I was having fun!