Favorite beans recipes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I want to eat more beans. Love them, just don't always know a tasty way of cooking them. Any recommendation? I have an instant pot, if anyone has pressure cooker ideas!

Replies

• Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to blend black beans with some garlic and lime juice and eat it like a dip. Yum!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been loving this Tuscan bean soup w/ kale recipe. Sometimes I swap out the pancetta for regular bacon or crumbled Italian sausage. It's delicious and freezes really well. Pretty big calorie hit though, but it's so worth it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/tuscan-bean-soup-recipe.htm

ETA: This Cuban black bean recipe is also really good. Great as a side or a full entree served over rice w/ some fried plantains.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013062-cuban-black-beans
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charmurr
    charmurr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well if you like smoothies you can add black beans there. Banana, bl beans, cocoa, nut milk. Add from there. It gives texture not taste. White beans I use with vanilla. Banana, wh beans, vanilla, nut milk. Also as a thickener you can always puree beans and add to almost all recipes instead of cream.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    charmurr wrote: »
    Well if you like smoothies you can add black beans there. Banana, bl beans, cocoa, nut milk. Add from there. It gives texture not taste. White beans I use with vanilla. Banana, wh beans, vanilla, nut milk. Also as a thickener you can always puree beans and add to almost all recipes instead of cream.

Interesting...I never thought to add beans to a smoothie. Might have to give this a try... :)
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just made sweet and sour black eyed peas...I use white beans or red beans sometimes. A half onion, some carrot, half bag of soaked beans, water to almost cover, ketchup, molasses, mustard, garlic..If we have bacon we put that in to. My kids love it, easy like opening a can of baked beans.
    Lima bean puree as a dip is surprisingly good too, the beans take on any flavor you want.
    And the standards white bean chili, black bean soup, refried beans.
  • BfromdaVille
    BfromdaVille Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Small amount of olive oil, add some cumin, smoked sweet paprika, garlic cloves, dried thyme & oregano, coriander & chili/cayenne (if you like spicy food). Stir until garlic Add a can of drained/rinsed black beans, and 1/2 cup chicken stock. Cook down until chicken stock is cooked off. Add fresh lime juice & fresh chopped cilantro. It is killer. (I never measure the spices, so it doesn't take as long as the list may seem.) We have it in tacos, or alongside chicken. You can also saute some red pepper, or top with some queso fresco.

If you consider chick peas beans: saute rinsed canned chick peas in a bit of olive oil until warmed through. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh chopped mint. It rocks & tastes so much better than 4 ingredients would suggest!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas or in tacos/breakfast burritos

Cooked black beans + roasted or frozen corn + jalapeno + red onion + vinaigrette (lime, zest, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt)

(not) Refried Beans - https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/08/not-refried-beans/
    Good as a dip, in burritos or enchiladas, topped with eggs and avocado for breakfast, eaten with a spoon

Cannelini beans or chickpeas + hot peppers + spinach + garlic + tomato puree, top with fried egg or bake eggs in it

Minestrone soup or pasta fagioli - I use cannelini beans or chickpeas here too

Skinny Taste's chili recipes are heavy on beans - she uses mostly canned beans and is adding a lot of instant pot recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/ (one of my favorites and so easy to make)

Ham and bean soup - very easy in a crockpot, would probably work well in a pressure cooker

Chickpeas or cannelini beans + garlic + lemon and zest + olive oil + feta or parmesan + red pepper flakes + lots of fresh parsley, salt, and pepper (I eat cold or at room temperature, sometimes over a huge pile of arugula)
    You could also puree everything but the cheese, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the cheese, and eat as a dip. Similar to hummus, but without the tahini.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I almost always have either cooked black beans or lentils on hand. I cook them simply (onions & garlic, mostly) then add the cooked beans to salads and soups, and smash them and use them as spread on sandwiches instead of mayo or mustard (think about how good hummus is on a sandwich, and go from there!)
  • BfromdaVille
    BfromdaVille Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus/one-pot-chicken-dinner-no-recipe-needed-article

We made the version with white beans (chicken stock, white wine, lemon juice & thyme). Super easy and really yummy.