How are the percentages worked out in macros?

Options
essbe
essbe Posts: 65 Member
I can't make sense of where these percentages come from? Not from total of daily intake (unless I'm being REALLY thick somehow) and not percentage of my goals - carb goal is 60g and protein goal 80g.
jvvv1rhkekxb.png

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There is a difference in how many Calories each macronutrient contributes to Total Calories, based on how many Calories per gram each nutrient provides.

Carbs and protein provide about 4 Calories/gram, fat provides about 9 Calories/gram, and alcohol provides about 7 Calories/gram.

Total Cals = Cals from (Carbs + Fat + Protein + Alcohol)

In your case...

Total Cals = (45 x 4) + (34 x 9) + (60 x 4) + (0 x 0)
    Total Cals = 180 + 306 + 240 + 0
    Total Cals = 726

Percent Calories from Carbs = 180/726 x 100 = 24.8%
    Percent Calories from Fat = 306/726 x 100 = 42.1%
    Percent Calories from Protein = 240/726 x 100 = 33.1%
    Percent Calories from Alcohol = 0/726 x 100 = 0%

The Pie Chart gives a snapshot of the percentages based on the Calories provided by the subtotal grams of each macro logged at that time you view the Pie Chart. If you add more items to your Diary, the percentages may change throughout the day.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your percentages are staying the same but the total grams are increasing as you are adding your exercise for the day. If your calorie intake goes from 1200 to 1500 with excercise the total grams for your macros will also go up to match your increased calories.
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Makes sense :)