Dry Skin?

Options
I started MFP on Jan. 8th. I've faithfully measured and logged everything and stuck to the calorie limit calculated. I've tried to stick to my macros as best I can. Other than being vegetarian I've done nothing strange with my diet...lots of protein, a bit less carbs, and tons of fruits and veggies. I've also tried to drink more water. I use oils like canola oil in my diet when I cook and in homemade salad dressings. And I still eat some cheese (my fave!), just less t han before. So I feel like I'm getting enough fats in my diet. So far, I've lost 14 lbs. I feel like I've done things well but my skin is driving me crazy.

Normally, at 40, my skin has been oily and without massive care; prone to acne. During this month of a lifestyle change; my skin has suddenly become so dry. I can't slather on enough lotions, hand creams and facial moisterizers. I have to contstantly apply products to my hands and lips in particular in order to keep my skin from cracking/bleeding. Such a dramatic shift from my former usual.

Is this a result of Canadian winter weather (as opposed to previous years?), a result of diet, or like my eyesight rapidly changing once I hit 40, just a part of hormones or aging?

What is a healthy, proactive way to deal with this?

Many thanks!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I always have issues in the winter with dry skin.

You say you are trying to drink more water, but maybe it's still not enough? You can get dehydrated pretty quickly when the environment is so cold and dry. Try to sip liquids throughout the day when you can to keep consistently hydrated.

Also, does your home have a humidifier? Is it working properly? I always crank mine up in the winter and it helps.

Lastly, and the most difficulty for me in the winter....my doctor noticed my dry skin once and told me not to take super-hot showers, just warm ones. But, I love my super-hot showers, so I can't say I followed that advice, but maybe you could try and see if that makes a difference as well.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's most likely due to environmental factors. And medically speaking, the jury's still out on whether or not staying hydrated actually helps with dry skin and chapped lips.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's hit that point of winter where I can't hit my pot of Cutemol enough. And we're having a relatively mild winter here in New Jersey.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My skin is dry every winter. (Fellow Canuck over here) Something else I have noticed is that the quality of the water used for washing can have a profound effect on the dryness of my skin. We were recently away on vacation in a place with very "hard" water and my hands were unbelievably dry. Once back at home, (we have a water softener) my skin was much improved. It may not be diet related.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have dry skin year round. For diet, make sure you have enough healthy fat.

For skin care, I put on oil when I'm done in the shower and then towel off. I use walnut oil or grape seed oil. Then, I use pure shea butter before I go to bed. Sure, I'm slippery enough to get in one side of the bed and the slip right out the other side, but I have super soft skin.

And I do a lot of laundry. :wink:

I also use Christophe Robin's balm on my hair.

I like Hado Labo masks and skin plumping gel cream.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you could benefit from more fat/oils. How many grams of oil are you eating a day?
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Every winter my skin is dry, its due to the dry heat caused by my heating system. You could add a humidifier to your home or bedroom.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Skin does get dryer as you age, but it sounds like a sudden change. Are you definitely eating enough? How many calories are you aiming for and what is your weight and height?
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    To share my personal experience: I always had dry skin on my legs and on my elbows, worsening in winter. I've been strictly following a ketogenic eating habit for the past week and it has all but vanished. Whether that's the increased fat intake or the fact that I drink a lot more water when I eat keto (I find it easier to recognize thirst as thirst, rather than hunger), or possibly both, I am not sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Your thyroid is okay? Before being diagnosed I had years of dry skin: scaly legs, flaking in my eyebows. Really dry no mtter what I did. Adding T3 to my T4 made it all disappear in a matter of days.

More fats can help too.

Waiting out the cold helps too. It's in the -20Cs right now and my lips are a bit dry and one thumb cracked. It goes away when it warms up.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I tend to get dry skin in the winter too (NE US). As some others have said maybe trying to get some more oils/fats in your diet could be beneficial.

Also as weird as it sounds, try NOT using soap every day. You said you had oily skin before, you might have swung a bit too far in the opposite direction. Most soaps tend to be harsh on your skin. Still use soap on everywhere that could potentially get stinky (armpits, groin,etc), but try every other day for the full body wash.

Sounds super gross, and I was kind of reluctant to try it myself. Now I'm glad that I do it... no rough and painful patches, and no BO either.