Having cookies every night?

Options
I'm trying to maintain my weight and typically eat around 1200-1700 calories a day and mostly healthy. I usually don't have "dessert" but I do allow myself a treat every now and then. However, my niece is selling Girl Scout cookies, and I want to buy a box of Do-si-Dos. I plan on (if I buy them) eating 3 every night since that's the serving size for six nights (there are six servings per box). Do you think that this is a good idea or would it do harm?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I regularly incorporate treats into my diet. But I also make sure it doesn't impede my ability to get adequate protein or other nutrients.

Having said that, I tend to get a lot of recipes at www.theproteinchef.co <-- a lot more nutritious version of deserts.
  • Kelimek
    Kelimek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I kind of doubt you get enough nutritions for 1200-1700 kcal when you eat 3 extra cookies. According to MFP 3 cookies = 480 kcals of mostly carbs and fat ? Once or twice a week it should be ok, but I don't think doing it everyday is a good idea.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Kelimek wrote: »
    I kind of doubt you get enough nutritions for 1200-1700 kcal when you eat 3 extra cookies. According to MFP 3 cookies = 480 kcals of mostly carbs and fat ? Once or twice a week it should be ok, but I don't think doing it everyday is a good idea.

I would agree. Little if any space in a 1200-1700 calorie a day diet for almost 500 calories worth of cookies

WIll not hurt if VERY infrequent, but probaby an issue if a several times a month over the long term.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Suggested serving sizes are just that - suggestions.

I aim for about 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense sources and 20% for treats.

One cookie per night might fit better into your eating plan than three cookies would.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    If I can only eat one cookie, I like to break it up into a greek yogurt for topping. Way more satisfying than eating the dang thing in two bites.

That is what I do with Oreo's, which is the best cookie ever!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If I can only eat one cookie, I like to break it up into a greek yogurt for topping. Way more satisfying than eating the dang thing in two bites.

That is what I do with Oreo's, which is the best cookie ever!!!

Yeah, I do it with oreos too. Not now though.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    It's not going to harm you unless you're allergic or have another medical reason not to eat any of the ingredients in the cookies.

I do admire your restraint in buying one box tho. Between the ones I end up buying and the like 50 boxes my boss ends up buying, I'm set for the rest of the year. :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Beer and whisky are my treats, and I'm on 1420 plus exercise cals.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat cookies most days. Cookies are awesome. I usually have 1 or 2 dark chocolate Mcvities biscuits, at 83 cals each.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Omg I think you just saved my life <3
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »

Omg I think you just saved my life <3

It saved mine. People would see 2 oreos logged and asked how I did it. I crushed them up in yogurt :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to maintain my weight and typically eat around 1200-1700 calories a day and mostly healthy. I usually don't have "dessert" but I do allow myself a treat every now and then. However, my niece is selling Girl Scout cookies, and I want to buy a box of Do-si-Dos. I plan on (if I buy them) eating 3 every night since that's the serving size for six nights (there are six servings per box). Do you think that this is a good idea or would it do harm?

If they fit within your calorie limit, there's no problem with this at all. :)

I do this too. :) I buy a box of cookies (but not Girl Scout cookies ... I've never liked them) and have one about every other night, if I feel like it. Each one of mine is about 85 calories which makes a nice late-evening snack.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I really admire everyone who can have one or two cookies. That's awesome. Cookies and chocolate are my kryptonite. I allow for a once a month indulgence if I have hormonal cravings. I didn't get those cravings this month. So no treats. I'm an abstainer for the most part. Not very good at moderating. But thankfully I don't feel deprived.

BTW- I can eat an entire box of caramel delites Girl Scout cookies in one sitting. So I don't buy them.